- Text Size +
“Damn Howie!” Brian squealed as Howie continued to clean his open wounds with hydrogen peroxide.

Howie sighed and shook his head, “Cleaning off all this blood and dirt, it’s really revealing the damage underneath, and let me tell you it’s not pretty. You’re gonna have a hard time hiding that.”

Brian reclined back on the couch and had placed an ice bag on top of his head. “Holy cow, I feel like I’ve been hit by a Mac truck.”

“Rok, I think we should take you in. This guy could’ve caused you major damage, I mean, how are we suppose to know if he broke your ribs or not?”

Brian shrugged, “If I can still move and bend my body, I’m assuming nothing’s broken.”

“Yeah, but what if you have eternal bleeding or something? You don’t know.”

“Geez Nick, relax man. All I got is bruises and scrapes.” Brian winced when he felt a new wave of pain hit him. “And a sore body.”

“Are Nick and I the only ones in this house NOT being stubborn?” AJ asked no one in particular.

“Please Jay, you wrote the book on being stubborn.” Howie retorted.

“No,” AJ argued, “I wrote the book on being practical, there’s a big ass difference.”

Brian sighed as he took his ice bag off his head and readjusted it to another bruised area that was screaming to receive attention. “Can we all just shut up for a second? I’m getting a migraine!”

“You wouldn’t be having a migraine if you had only let us take you in.” Nick mumbled.

Brian shook his head and closed his eyes, there was no sense in fighting anyone right now.

“Okay Brian, what’s the plan?”

Just when he thought he would be able to get some sleep, in comes his cousin to ask him what the plan was. “What do you mean? How should I know?”

“Well, I argued in your behalf because you said that when we got back to the house we’ll do things from there.”

“I didn’t mean right away.” Brian whined.

“Well, we gotta think of something… I already told you we don’t know what kind of man we’re dealing with here, and that guy that did this to you just proved my point. I have a feeling that guy was just serving as a warning, who knows if you’ll be so lucky next time.”

“You call this lucky?” Nick snapped. “He got his ass beat down, and you fucking call this lucky? What in the hell is wrong with everyone?”

“Nick, would you cool it? The reason I say that is because Brian was in a vulnerable situation, that guy could’ve easily took out a gun and shoot him, and luckily that wasn’t the case. We just all need to be rational with what we do… have we forgotten that our status can only permit us to do so much.”

“So what are you suggesting we do?” AJ questioned.

Kevin fell silent. “I… I don’t know yet, but going out and doing whatever, especially by ourselves,” he looked at Brian when he said that. “isn’t going to help us with anything. Brian, whatever happens, you gotta be sure that you turn it over to the FBI.”

“No, screw that Kevin. I know how the FBI works, they take their sweet old time. It seems as if since it doesn’t pertain to them then they’re in no rush to crack this case. I already promised Leighanne that I would do whatever it takes to get Baylee back, and I meant it. This is between Paul and I… I don’t even know why I got you guys involved.”

“You didn’t involve us, we got involved because we wanted to Brian.” Howie replied. “We got involved because we’re brothers… it’s what we do, we’re obligated to help each other out.”

All of a sudden, the sound of a ringing phone filled the quiet and tensed air. Brian immediately went for his phone and picked it up, he heard nothing.

“Sorry,” AJ apologized. “It’s me.” he said as he walked off to answer his cell phone.

Brian sighed, trying to ease his racing heart. His body soon protested against his sudden actions, causing him to wince in pain yet again. Nick could only stare at him and shake his head, why wouldn’t people listen to him?

AJ walked back into the room, shoving his cell phone into his pocket. “That was Marcus, said Johnny called on an emergency meeting at Jive’s record building, he wants us all there now.”

“Great.” Brian muttered as he slowly pushed himself up off the couch. “Howie, could you grab me my sweater and jeans.” he grabbed his hat off of his side table and placed it on his head. “Jay, you mind me borrowing a pair of shades?”

AJ shook his head, “Nah dude, you can. But do you honestly think that’s gonna hide it from Johnny?”

Brian sighed, “It’s worth a shot.”