- Text Size +
“What in the hell was that all about?” Kevin exclaimed as he paced back and forth in front of his cousin.

Brian had left them and had driven back home, not wanting to stay for the rest of the meeting. He had other things on his mind, other things he could be doing than to be listening to Johnny tell him how he could remain marketable.

“You just told off our manager Brian, do you know that our fate lies in his hands?!”

“No, our fate lies in our own hands, he’s just there to reap off the benefits that come our way.” Brian corrected him. “But it seems like that’s all you’ve been thinking about lately too Kevin, our image, our career. Have you all forgotten that it’s MY son out there? Like I said, maybe it was best if I didn’t involve you guys, no wait, if I didn’t allow you guys to get involve, that way you guys can make time to save face.”

“Brian, are you listening to what you are saying? Everything that’s coming out of your mouth is ridiculous! You need to stop acting as if you’re the only one who lost something, we’re right there with you.”

“I don’t see you with a child Kevin! The day both you and Kristin conceive a child and this situation happens to you, then you come and talk to me. Until then, don’t you lecture me about how I should feel or act. This is my duty as a father, to do my all to protect my child, and you won’t understand that until you become a father yourself.”

“You think I don’t know how it feels? How you feel about everything?”

“No, you don’t understand…”

“WILL YOU ALL JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!”

Both Kevin and Brian turned to a furious AJ. “Ever since we got here, all we’ve been doing is going at each other’s throats. What in the hell are we doing you guys? This ain’t suppose to be happening, especially during this time. Don’t you see what this guy’s doing to us, what you guys are allowing this man to do? He’s getting the best of us… we ain’t gonna have anything left to find Baylee. Enough is enough already… don’t let this guy think he’s got the best of us, cause he hasn’t. We just all need to understand where everyone is coming from and we need to work together instead of working against each other. Lets get it together guys.”

All of a sudden, AJ’s phone began to ring. He fished into his pockets and pulled out his cell phone. “Hello?”

“Nice speech Alex, couldn’t have put it better myself.”

“Who the hell is this?”

Brian immediately looked up when he heard AJ ask the person who called him who it was.

“I’d like to consider myself a personal friend of Brian’s, but the rate things are going with him, I think he begs to differ.” AJ looked over at Brian, he knew who it was.

“Where the hell is Baylee?”

“Why do you guys insist on asking the same question when I call? I’ll have you know that my answer is not going to change, he’s here with me. Now, I know you must be thinking why I called you and how I got your number in the first place, who cares about that? I made no mistake in calling you because I have a proposition for you Mr. McLean. Will you accept?”

“Keep talking.”

“Great. Well, as you know, as you ALL know, I have Brian’s son here with me. I’ll let you in on some… secrets that’ll bring you and ONLY you one step closer to retrieving Baylee. You’ll be considered the hometown hero, Brian and Leighanne will love you forever, and who knows… maybe you’ll take Nick’s place in the Frick and Frack relationship.”

“There’s nothing more I’d like to do than to get him back for Brian and then kick your ass you piece of shit.”

“These vulgar words aren’t necessary my boy. I’ve made you an offer, are you going to accept it or refuse it? It’d be a shame to know that you would let Baylee and Brian down.”

“No, believe me I’m taking up on it because once I find you, I’m gonna kill you. Why would I wanna pass up an offer like that?”

“Here’s the catch though. This proposition exists only between you and I. You tell anyone, it’s all over for you Alex, and I literally mean it, it’s all over for you. So I hope you’re thinking up a good lie to tell the guys about what we talked about once you get off the phone. I‘ll be watching you, and you‘ll be hearing from me a lot. Good day Alexander.”

“Yeah, fuck you.” AJ replied as he hung up the phone and shoved it in his pocket.

“What did he say?” Brian asked him.

AJ shook his head, “Nothing, just playing his fucking games.”

“Alex.” Brian said softer this time. “You wouldn’t lie to me right? You swear to me he didn’t say anything?”

AJ stared at him, his heart wrenching. He wish he could tell him the truth, but he couldn’t. It was in his best interest, as well as Baylee’s, not to say anything. “Yeah man.”