- Text Size +
“Look, if anything I really want you to keep an eye on him, at all costs. Take your eye off of him for a second, he’ll be on the streets looking for Baylee himself. We can’t have him getting attacked again.”

“Speaking of which, how’s he feeling?”

“I’m not to sure. His bruises look pretty bad, he refused to let us take him to the hospital, I don’t blame him. It’s just… we don’t know what kind of injury he suffered. Hopefully it’s just bruises.”

“Since when had Brian become the stubborn one?”

“His son is missing. Everything changes when it comes to a loved one, especially a child.”

“Which makes it all the more hard for us to guard him Kevin. He’s a father who lost his son, he’s willing to do whatever he can to get him back.”

“Look, I’ll take care of him on that level, I just need you guys to keep an eye on him, can you guys do that for me?”

“Yeah… we’ll do that.”

Kevin quietly walked into the room and made his way over to my bed. I felt his gently tap me on my shoulder, which only slightly aroused me from my sleep.

“Bri.” he whispered. “C’mon Rok, get up.”

I rose my head a bit from my pillow, “What is it?”

“Don’t you think it’s time to get up?”

I rose up a little further and yawned. “What time is it?” I asked him as I began to search for my alarm clock.

“It’s a quarter to three.”

I quickly shot up and reached over to my nightstand which held my cell phone. I ripped the charging cord out of it and checked to see if I had missed any calls, nothing. “Did anyone call my house phone?”

Kevin shook his head, “Nope.”

I sighed and relaxed, a bit. I couldn’t believe that I was asleep for this long, but at least they couldn’t complain about me not getting enough sleep anymore. I got out of bed and began to walk towards my bathroom, I suddenly stopped when I seen a commotion going on outside through my window.

“What’s going on?” I asked Kevin as I walked closer to my window to see who those people were.

“Security guards.”

“For what?”

“To keep an eye on you.” when he realized that I wasn’t going to interject, he continued explaining. “We can’t have what happened to you happen again.”

“You have got to be shitting me.” I exclaimed. “They’re not helping me Kevin, they’re only getting in my way of getting my son.”

“Brian, how many times do I have to tell you that we don’t exactly know what kind of man we’re dealing with here. He already sent one of his men on you, what if he sends someone to shoot you the next time? I know you’re looking out for Baylee, but you also gotta look out for yourself too. Why can’t you be smart and rational about this?”

“I know what kind of man he is Kevin. He’s a reasonable man, if I play by his rules everything will be okay, I’ll get my son back.”

“Do you honestly believe that? How can you put your trust and faith into the very man who took your son away from you Brian. You chose to believe that man over me, your own goddamn cousin?”

“That’s just it, he has my son so I gotta play by his fucking rules.”

“Listen to yourself Brian… you’re talking as if this is some kind of game that you actually enjoy playing.”

“There’s nothing else I can do.” I finally broke down, I was tired of always bickering with him about this whole situation. He will never understand how it feels to be in my position right now until he becomes a father and this happens to him. “Baylee’s life is now in his hands, and my actions help determine if I’ll ever see him again or not. All I have to do is what he asks of me, I can roll with the punches he throws, it’s nothing big.”

“What do you mean it’s nothing big? You’re putting your life at stake!!”

“What life?” I finally screamed at him. “I have no life Kevin... my life had been taken away the very day Paul took my son away from me… why won’t you let me get it back? My life is my son…”

Tears were streaming down my face. Kevin just stood there, finally and truly at a lost of words. As I continued to cry, I felt a pair of firm but gentle arms embrace me, bringing me up and pulling me into a tight hug.

“Kevin…” I whispered, “Baylee is my life... please, help me to get him back.”

“Bri,” he paused for a moment. Oh please don’t tell me he’s going to continue to argue his point, what more does he want me to say or do? “I’m gonna help you… we’re gonna get him back.”

Our “Kodak” moment was cut short when my cell phone began to ring. I quickly tore myself away from our hug and grabbed my cell phone off of my nightstand. I looked down to see who was calling, it was Paul’s old number.

“What the fuck do you want?” I spat into the phone.

“Daddy?”

Hearing that voice, hearing his voice, caused my mouth to fall agape and I let out a strangled gasp. “Baylee?”

“Hi daddy!”

“Baylee, are you okay? Where are you?”

“I’m fine daddy, I’m just riding in the car with Uncle Paul.”

I cringed when I heard him say that. “Where are you guys on your way to?”

“We were right outside, but I don’t know where we’re going now.”

My breathing became harder. They were right outside of this goddamn house and I could’ve done something about it, but I didn’t because I was too busy fighting with Kevin. My son was right there, right outside and I didn’t do anything.

“Daddy? Daddy are you still there?”

“Yes Bay, daddy’s still here.”

“Is mommy home? I want to talk to her.”

“No baby, mommy’s not home right now. She went to grandma’s house, but I’ll be sure to have her call you later, okay? Now, can you do me a favor and hand Uncle Paul the phone?” I seethed his name, but I also cringed when I said it. I couldn’t believe that I was referring to that man as “Uncle Paul”.

“Is this going to turn out to be a problem Mr. Littrell?”

“Is what going to turn out to be a problem?”

“Well, your son already told you that we were right outside your house a couple of minutes ago and I couldn’t help than to notice the small party you had going on for your entourage of security guards. I surely do hope it was a going away party for them. I really don’t want to have to deal with them, and I would hate to have to do something to your son to show you how serious this situation is.”

“I thought you said you wouldn’t do anything to hurt my son; you told me you wouldn’t because you found that act sadistic.”

“Now, I know good and well I didn’t use the term “sadistic”, but I do remember saying that I wouldn’t hurt your son because it’s wrong. Just because I said that Brian, doesn’t mean I won’t have someone else do it instead. I said I could never do it, not once did I say that I could never have someone else do it.”

“You sick bastard, I swear to God if you lay one finger on him…”

“What are you gonna do Brian? Enlighten me! You tend to forget who I have here with me and who’s in control. Maybe something desperate needs to happen to make you realize that it is I who is in control, not you.”

I was beyond furious, but he was right. Right now wasn’t the time for me to act like a sarcastic bad ass. “Look, I… I’ll get rid of the security guards, can you just let me see my son?”

“When the hell has this become a negotiating situation? I’ll tell you what, since you have been such a good little boy these past few days regardless of what’s been going on and your able to ‘roll with my punches’,” my eyes widened when he said that. “I’ll let you in on a little secret, how does that sound?”

“Look, I don’t want to know no fucking secret, I just want to see my son and I swear to you, I’ll keep playing your fucking games until I have him back.”

“You think this is a game Littrell?”

“Why not? You’re doing a great fucking job with playing with my emotions.”

He laughed, “I like the way you think… come to think of it, I never thought of it as a game myself, but now that you were able to… clarify what I have been doing to you for these past couple days, it suit’s the situation so well. Bravo Brian. But I promise you, this secret I will tell you is better than you seeing your son. Wouldn’t you rather take the secret? C’mon Brian… make it less harsh on yourself, you know if you see your son it’s only going to wear you more down mentally.”

As weird as this may sound, he had a point. I think I would lose my cools if I was to see him, I’d bend every fucking rule this man had set out, hell, I’d probably get both me and Baylee killed. “Fine, whatever.”

“I knew you’d see things my way. Well, here’s the little secret… one of your brothers have kept you in the dark, but through it they want to show you the shape of their heart.” he continued to laugh at his corny phrase.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Well, that’s my secret. Read between the lines Brian, I know you’re a smart fellow. I’ll repeat it once more for you, one of your brothers are keeping you in the dark, but through it they want to show you the shape of their heart. Think about it Brian. And by the way, how are you feeling? I’m really sorry my man had jumped you like that, they don’t like you too much. Don’t think I sent him on you because I didn’t, I just have no control over how they feel. I have the power to tell them what to do, but I have no control over what they do. You can’t say I didn’t try to warn you.”

“Yeah, what a great warning that was.” I scoffed.

“Again, I am sorry for the troubles he has caused you, but like you said you can ‘roll with the punches’ I throw.” there he goes repeating what I had told Kevin earlier. “But I’m expecting that you will take care of our little situation now. I’ll be back to check. Goodbye Brian.” and with that, the line went dead.

Once he hung up, I shoved my cell phone and began to look around the room.

“What did he say?” Kevin asked me.

At first I didn’t reply, I was busy looking for the bug that was planted inside my house. “I need you to clear the security team, now.”

“Why? I already told you that they’re hear to protect you.”

“Look, if we don’t clear them out now something bad is gonna happen to Baylee. I want them off of my premises now.”

“Don’t you think you should tell the FBI all this? I mean, he’s threatening to do something to Baylee if we don’t clear the security team out.”

“The FBI already knows what’s going on. What more can they do now? Just because I tell them that the guy is threatening to hurt my son doesn’t mean they’re going to find them any faster. Just do me this one favor without any arguing please.”

Without another word said, Kevin left the room, hopefully to chase our security team and personal bodyguards away. Meanwhile, I continued to scan my room for the bug, but nothing seemed out of order. I even checked the places where they would put it, I’ve seen it in movies millions of times, but there was nothing. I don’t understand how this man is able to do this.

“Alright.” Kevin said as he walked back into the room. “They’re leaving now as we speak.”

“Are they seriously leaving Kevin or are you just telling me that? I can’t have you playing around with Baylee’s life.”

“No I’m not just telling you that, I told them the reason why they had to leave and they left.”

I nodded my head, still unsure if I should believe him or not. Why would I not believe my cousin anyway?

Kevin remained silent as he just watched me search my room. “Bri… what are you looking for?”

I signaled for him to remain quiet. “I’m looking for my wallet.”

“Up there?” Kevin replied, looking up at the ceiling as well.

Again, I signaled him to be quiet. “I know I brought it upstairs last night.”

I looked back at Kevin, I could tell there was so much questions he wanted to ask me. I took out my cell phone and began to type “the house is bugged” on the cell phone. I handed it over to him and placed my finger to my mouth, letting him know to keep quiet and just play along. He read the text I typed and nodded, handing my cell phone back to me.

“Look, if it’s not up here then I’m sure it’s downstairs. You can ask Howie, Jay and Nick if they saw it.”

That reminded me of what Paul said. “Kevin… do you think… never mind.” it was ridiculous of me to ask that question. I mean, what if Paul was only starting trouble, trying to set them up?

“Do I think what?”

Aww hell, I decided to ask him anyway. “Do you think that… Howie, AJ or Nick would be involve in something like this?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean… do you think one of them could be behind all this, or at least know what’s going on, know more than I know?”

“Are you seriously asking me this?” he asked me. I nodded. “Do you honestly think that one of the three of them would be behind the kidnapping of your son? For Christ sakes Brian, we’ve known each other for years, how can you even think that?”

“Okay, not behind it, but do you think that one of them would know something about this that I don’t?”

“Brian, we’re all in the dark just as you are. To tell you the truth, I wish one of us knew something so we could be at least closer to getting Baylee back, don’t you agree?”

“True, but I wouldn’t agree with the fact of them keeping it from me.”

“Why would you think that anyway?”

“Paul told me something on the phone. He said that one of my brothers are keeping me in the dark, but they want to show me the shape of their heart.”

“Brian, you know he’s just messing with you. He’s trying to get you to believe something so that you’ll turn on us, please tell me you see that.”

After a moment of silence, I finally shrugged, “You’re right.” I lied. “He’s probably playing his minds games once again…”

Kevin nodded. “That’s all he’s doing, now go get ready and then meet us downstairs, we’re going out to lunch.”

I gave him an awkward look, “Going out to lunch? Don’t you think…”

“Yes,” Kevin interrupted. “We’re going to lunch. AJ and Nick are hungry and you don’t have much food in this house.” he said with a wink. “We’ll go eat lunch somewhere and then we’ll go and do some grocery shopping, okay?” another wink.

I got what he meant. “Okay man, I’ll be down there in a second.”