- Text Size +
I placed my hand on her swollen belly as I lowered my head down towards her abdomen, placing my ear on her stomach. I could faintly hear the baby rustling around within the womb. I began to gently rub her stomach and began to sing.

“There you are, wild and free, reaching out like you needed me, a helping hand to make it right, I am holding you all through the night. I’ll be the one, who will make all your sorrows undone, I’ll be the light, when you feel like there’s nowhere to run, I’ll be the one to hold you, and make sure that you’ll be alright, ‘cause my fear is gone and I want to, take you from darkness to light.”

When I finished Nick’s verse of the song, I placed my ear back down on Leighanne’s belly, noticing that the baby had settled down. I liked to believe that I was able to put our child at ease just by singing.

“I really want this one to be a girl…” she whispered.

I took my head away from her stomach and rose up towards her on the bed. She snuggled close to me and had placed her head upon my shoulder. “If it was a girl, what would you want to name her?”

“Hmm…” I thought the question over. “How about Litty?”

“There is no way I’m naming our daughter after our dog!” she laughed.

“Okay… how about Lily? I’ve always liked that name for some reason.”

“Lily Littrell? For some reason, I can picture people teasing her in school about her name. Sounds too close to alliteration.”

“What about Layla?” I asked. “That’s a nice name.”

“Layla.” she repeated to herself. “Layla Littrell. Not bad… I like it… by why are you only picking names that start with the letter ‘L’?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know, I’d figure that it’d be nice for our daughter to have the same initials as her mother. Okay, what about Betty Lou then? Betty Lou Littrell. That way, she has the ‘B’ from my name and the ‘L’ from your name.”

She crinkled her face, I love it when she does that. “That’s so… old English sounding. I’ve never really liked the name Betty Lou.”

“Well, we’re so busy here thinking up girls name that we ruled out the other possibility… what if we had a boy?” I questioned her.

“I was thinking about… Brandon or Brennan. Or maybe even Benjamin, Brody, Bruce, Bryant, Bradley…”

“Whoa,” I laughed. “What’s with all the ‘B’ names?”

“Well, I don’t know. I’d figure that it’d be nice for our son to have the same initials as his father.” she mocked.

She got me there. “Okay, I know this may sound crazy, but Nick thought of this idea, and for some reason the guys didn’t think it was a bad idea.”

“Oh no,” she groaned. “Nick had an idea and the guys didn’t think it was a bad one? That’s a first. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but enlighten me with Nick’s idea.”

“Okay… how’s about Hank? Hank Littrell?”

“Hank? Where did he get that name from?”

“He took the first letter of their names. ‘H’ for Howie, ‘A’ for AJ, ‘N’ for Nick and ‘K’ for Kevin. He said that way, we’d never forget about them.”

She laughed. “There is no way that we could forget about them, believe me. I was just thinking… since both you and I want our child’s name to have similar initials… if we have a boy, I feel that it’s only right that his name starts with a ‘B’ so he’d have initials like his father…”

“And if we have a girl, her name would start with an ‘L’?” I finished off.

She nodded, “How does that sound?”

“Anything you say baby sounds great to me.” I replied before I began to kiss her.