- Text Size +
“Baby, please try to forgive me… stay here, don’t put out the glow. Hold me now, don’t bother… if every minutes it makes me weaker you can, save me from the man that I’ve become, oh yeah…” I belted into the microphone.

On key, the rest of the fellas jumped in singing in perfect harmony. “Looking back on the things I’ve done, I was trying to be someone, I played my part, kept you in the dark… now let me show you the shape of my heart…”

AJ took the second verse away, “Sadness is beautiful, loneliness is tragical, help me…”

We were at yet another venue doing sound check, our show was only an hour away. I looked out towards the empty seats in front of me and seen Leighanne slowly walking towards the stage. I simply placed my microphone on the ground and had jumped off the stage to meet her halfway.

“Where the hell are you going?” AJ sang instead of singing “I can’t win this war”. I didn’t reply to him, I just kept walking towards my waddling wife. Because of me the instrumental version of “Shape Of My Heart” stopped playing and the guys stopped singing.

“Take five guys…” I told them as I finally reached Leighanne, instantly placing my hand on her bulging stomach. “So, what’s the verdict?”

She simply smiled. “Well, I was thinking of Basil Thomas Littrell… how does that sound?”

I instantly knew that we were having a boy, didn’t take a genius to figure that out! Even though she wanted a daughter, I was glad that we were having a son instead. I kissed her passionately but suddenly broke the kiss. “Wait, Basil Thomas Littrell? I can see it now, people would be teasing him, pronouncing his name the way you would pronounce the cooking herb basil.”

She laughed, “Well, what do you have in mind then?”

I pondered. “How’s about… Bradley Thomas Littrell? Sounds strong if you ask me.”

“Well, we’ll think of names later, right now I think you have to get your butt back on stage, you guys have less than half an hour to complete your sound check.”

I shrugged, “Doesn’t matter anyway, we were on our last song. We kinda sped through it. Anyway, I was thinking about taking you out to dinner tonight after the show… somewhere fancy… just you and I and little sport here.” I rubbed her belly as I said that. “And we can discuss more about names for our son. How does that sound?”

Instead of giving me an answer, she kissed me instead.

“Alright, enough of that already! Break it up, break it up!” Nick bellowed as he gently pulled me away from Leighanne. “It’s time for me to talk to the soon-to-be mother.” he softly said as he took her hand and kissed it.

Leighanne chuckled, “Why, aren’t you just simply charming Mr. Carter.”

Nick chuckled as well, “I try, but foreal though… are ya’ll having a boy or a girl?”

“Take a wild guess Nick.” I told him.

He fell silent for a while, thinking it over. Geez, the man only had to choose between the two, he could either say a boy or a girl. Sure enough, a slow smile crept over his face, confirming that he had finally figured it out.

“This is freaking awesome man!” he exclaimed. “I can see it now, both you and I teaching him the fundamentals of basketball, while Kevin teaches him football, Howie can show him how to be pretty and AJ can talk to him about sex education!”

I crinkled my eyebrows with confusion. “You were doing great on the whole basketball and football thing, but you completely lost me at the looking pretty and sex education thing. While I would like you ALL to play an important role in my son’s life, is there anything else you could think of for Howie and AJ to do than to show him how to be a pretty boy and talk to him about sex?”

“Well, Howie could show him how to do his hair and AJ can…” he paused for a while, “AJ can…teach him how to sing or dance, I don’t know! You can’t really think of anything for AJ to do, because when you say his name alone, it just SCREAMS sex!”

“What’s this sex talk I hear coming from you Carter?” AJ blurted out on the microphone.

“See what I mean?” Nick questioned us, jabbing his thumb towards AJ. “That’s all the man ever thinks about, and think of it this way… you won’t have to dread that whole situation of explaining ‘the birds and the bees’ to your son. He’ll already have that covered for you!”

“Thank you Nick?” I said in a form of a question, I don’t know if he was just playing around or really being serious.

He smiled and beamed proudly, as if to say “my job is done”. “Well, did you guys settle on a name yet for the little guy?”

Both Leighanne and I looked over at each other. “Well, she thought of Basil Thomas Littrell while I thought of Bradley Thomas Littrell.”

“How about Brian Thomas Littrell Jr.? It’ll be great ‘cause he’ll have the same name as you and we can call him Jr. It’s perfect!”

I simply laughed. “How’s about ‘no’? I wouldn’t want to be referred to as Brian Thomas Littrell Sr., there’s just something definitely wrong with that picture.”

“One more question if you don’t mind me asking.” he leaned in towards me to silently ask me his question. “Who’s gonna be the godfather?”

I looked up at him and smiled, “Who better to fill the job than my very own four brothers of course?”