- Text Size +
Kevin looked down at his watch for what must have been the hundredth time. He sat in a tight chair in the waiting room and began to impatiently tap his foot on the hard tile ground. All of a sudden he felt a hand snake over his and felt a gentle squeeze. He looked up to stare at the lovely face of his wife.

Kristin smiled, “Don’t fret so much Kevin… they’ll be out here soon enough.”

He grinned and just continued to stare at her. Never did he think that his little cousin would be the first out of the both of them to become a daddy. It wasn’t as if they were competing with each other, he just found it ironic that the two cousins of the group would be the first to marry out of the five of them, and now Brian would be the very first “Backstreet Dad”.

The doors to the waiting room busted open, revealing an anxious Nick and AJ, with Sarah not far behind. “Where are they?”

“In the room.” Kevin replied. “She went into labor not too long ago.”

“Where’s everyone else?” AJ questioned this time.

“Jackie’s in the room with Brian and Leigh’s mother, everyone else went down to the café with Howie.”

Both AJ and Nick relieved a heavy sigh, taking a seat across from Kevin. They had received a sudden call from Brian who sounded out of breath but excited at the same time. As they continued to sit and wait in the waiting room, they grew more and more anxious with every doctor or nurse that walked out of the delivery room, unfortunately no one approached them.

Finally, a male doctor walked out of the room and had consulted them. “I’m assuming you’re all here for Brian and Leighanne Littrell, am I correct?”

As if in unison, everyone snapped up from where they sat slowly walking towards the doctor. “Yes, we all are.”

“Well,” the doctor started off. “I am proud to say that Leighanne gave birth to a healthy baby boy with no complications.” he paused when he heard a sigh of relief. “Those who were in the delivery room before has cleared to make room for you guys to see Leighanne, Brian and the new baby boy.”

No one moved at first. They knew that they all couldn’t go in the room at the same time to see them. Jerald then spoke up and said that Kevin, Howie, AJ and Nick should be the first to go in and see them, no one disagreed. Without being told twice, the four of them made their way into the room, seeing an exhausted Leighanne on the hospital bed and Brian standing near her, his back facing all of them.

“Brian?” Kevin whispered, as he knocked on the door, they all began to slowly walk in further.

Leighanne was the first to acknowledge their presence and she gave a weak smile. Finally, Brian turned around, revealing the small baby boy his wife had just conceived minutes ago.

Within seconds the four of them crowded around Brian to see the new “Backstreet Baby”.

“He’s all over you two.” Howie cooed as he reached out to touch the baby’s small hands.

“Yeah,” Kevin agreed. “it’s hard to say who’s side he pulls off more.”

“What’s his name?” Nick asked.

Brian looked up at them and gave them a genuine smile, a smile only a father could give. “Baylee… Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell.”