- Text Size +
“No I can’t let you go, you’re apart of me now, caught by the taste of your kiss… and I don’t wanna know, the reason why I, can’t stay forever like this, now I’m climbing the walls ‘cause I miss you.”

I bent down and held the microphone out towards Baylee. “Take it away Baylee.”

“Take my hand and take my life, please don’t take forever.” he wailed out, causing all of us to just laugh and smile at him.

I held the microphone between us as we continued to sing. “If only you could stay with me now, just tell me what it is that keeps us from each other now… yeah, it’s coming to get me… you’re under my skin.”

As the fellas began to sing the chorus, I lifted my son up and held him in my arms. We finally released our most recent album, Never Gone, and now we were touring in small arenas. I know what you might be thinking, why did we exchange the larger venues for small arenas that were the size of a club? Well, we all decided that this album is all about the music. Sure, having dancers and a bunch of pyrotechnics go off was nice, but that was then. Things change, and we must change along with it. We wanted this tour to be very intimate, just us and the fans because we were finally back after two years hiatus and we’ve basically found ourselves with the time off. We’ve found a new respect for what we do, for each other and for those who have continuously supported us throughout the years no matter what.

When we completed singing “Climbing The Walls”, we began interacting with the fans who wereat the arena for sound check once again.

“This question is for Brian.” I looked out towards the fan who had addressed herself to me. “We all know that you’re the Backstreet Dad and Baylee is the Backstreet Baby, but I think we all want to know where do you see your son years from now?”

“Where do I see my son years from now?” I repeated. “You mean do I see him partaking a career similar to his dad’s?” she nodded. “Well… as you can see he has no fear of being on stage and belting out whatever he wants in front of anyone, so I’m thinking that it’s a sign. But to tell you the truth, I’m here to be his father not his mentor or someone to push him in a certain direction I’d like him to take. When he becomes older and if he finds himself interested in music, I will not hesitate to help him in anyway I can. I think that it’d be a joy to give my son the insight of the entertainment business and what his daddy does for a living, and hopefully one day we’ll be able to do a duet together or something.” I paused and smiled when I heard the fans go “aww”. “But um, that’s only if he’s interested in music; if he finds his interest in something else, I’m behind him 100% with whatever he decides to do.”

“I know many people have already asked you this question, but how does it feel to be a father and where do you think both you and Leighanne would be without your son?”

“Honestly, it’s great being a father. I wake up everyday, look at my son and think ‘geez, I’m getting old’! At times, I feel older than Kevin and Howie and I guess it’s because when you have a child of your own, you just find a whole new sense of maturity because you know that you are now the role model of this young one. It’s true when they say that a child becomes a splitting image of their parents, and I want to be the best father I can be to my son. At first I was skeptical when it came to changing his diapers, but now I enjoy it because I know as the years go on I won’t be doing that for him anymore, he’ll become a man all of his own. It’s just the simple things of having a child that brings me joy and has me thinking that there’s nowhere I’d rather be and nothing I’d rather do than to be here to be a loving husband and a caring father.”

“Where do you think you and Leighanne would be without your son?”

I paused for a while, I forgot she even asked that question, but she repeated herself. Honestly, I didn’t want to answer her question because I didn’t want to think about it. I don’t want to ever think about how Leighanne and I would be living our life without our son. “I don’t mean to be frank, but I’d rather not think about what it would be like without my son. I mean, he’s here with us and we thank God each and every day for the blessings He has bestowed upon us, and… what else is there for a father to say? To tell you the truth, I’d be nowhere if it wasn’t for my son, and I think I can speak on the behalf of my wife when I say that we’d be lost. But there again I would not like to think of this situations because he’s here with us and that’s all that matters. It’s my job as a father to protect him and always be there for him no matter what… I’d do whatever it takes, and that’s the bottom line.”

I looked down at Baylee as he looked up at me and smiled. Yup… I would do whatever it takes to keep my son here with us. “You guys ready for the next song?”