- Text Size +
Here I sat on my couch, waiting for Johnny to arrive. I was using this time to let everything sink in for once, at the police station everything was happening so fast. I had so much questions to ask, and really none of them were answered. I just had to take what I had now and just let it all sink in.

When Kevin called Johnny, he sounded a bit angry at first. We didn’t explain to him everything that had happened, all we told him was that Nick was arrested for first degree murder charges of Jeffery Donner. His big thing was why he wasn’t the first to be called and why we didn’t do all these things he thought we should’ve done. But when your stuck in the moment like we were, you don’t have time to think, you just act.

My eyes glazed over to see what everyone else was doing. Kevin was on the phone, probably with Kristin. Brian was sitting on the love seat, biting at his fingernails and stopping every once in a while to look at the new length (he still didn’t break that habit). AJ was sitting on one of my big lounge seats, head propped up on his left arm, trying so hard to keep himself awake. As for me, I was just sitting on my couch like I told you before, but I now developed this routine of checking my watch every once in a while.

“Kevin, you did tell Johnny that we wanted to see him tonight and not whenever it was convenient right?” AJ asked.

Kevin didn’t even bother to answer him, he just continued to talk on the phone, completely dismissing AJ’s question. Of course, AJ sighed heavily out of agitation and went back to staring off in space. Not long after though, the doorbell rang and AJ immediately sprung up from where he was seated to answer it.

We all looked up when AJ walked back into the parlor, Johnny trailing not far behind. Kevin immediately told whoever he was on the phone with that he had to go. We all decided to meet in my dining area. Of course, Johnny sat at the head of the table while we all dispersed in the other chairs.

“All I need is one person to explain everything to me.” Johnny started. “Who’s it gonna be?”

Out of natural instinct, we all snapped our heads over to Kevin. “Me?” he asked us. “I wouldn’t be able to explain it fully to you because I wasn’t there when it all happened.”

Before I could look at anyone else to tell Johnny what had happened, I found both Brian and AJ’s eyes on me. “Okay,” I sighed. “after we had put down two tracks at the studio, we decided to go out and have dinner together. We were at McDonalds when these two officers approached us to arrest Nick. All they could tell us was that he was charged with first degree murder of Jeffery Donner.”

“And who is this Jeffery Donner?”

“The one we were on the run from for a long time.”

“Wait… the one that abducted you and all?” as I nodded in reply, he shook his head. “No… that can’t be right…”

“What do you mean?” Kevin questioned, turning puzzled at his sudden odd behavior.

Johnny looked up at all of us and sighed, “You guys…”

“There’s something you haven’t been completely honest about with us?” AJ finished his sentence.

“No, there’s something that we hadn’t told you guys… at all. Something had happened after you guys arrived at the hospital the second time around. I was notified that there was six present at the cemetery…”

“Yeah, the five of us and that Jeffery dude…”

Johnny nodded, “But I was also notified that besides you five, no other bodies were found.”

My mouth fell open in complete shock. I glanced at the other three, they were all equally appalled as I.

“Why the hell didn’t you tell us this Johnny?” Kevin asked in a bitter tone.

“Look, at the time you guys already had a lot on your plate. Our main concern was having you guys pull through, hell AJ and Nick weren’t even suppose to make it.”

“But we did.” AJ interjected this time. “And we pulled through, how come you didn’t tell us this after? It’s been a year since this all happened, we’ll be going on two years soon and only now you tell us this, after Nick is detained and charged with first degree murder?”

“I know it was wrong on my part, but believe me fellas we had this case under wraps, which we kept undercover. We didn’t want you guys to get involve in anyway, we were having FBI look into the situation while we heightened our security staff. It has been under investigation ever since.”

“Maybe they found him dead?” I suggested, I didn’t like confrontation of any sort. “And that’s why Nick was charged.”

“But he shouldn’t be charged with anything!” AJ snapped. “He did it out of self defense, but those damn officers were saying that these witnesses testified otherwise.”

Johnny gave AJ a confused look, “Wait… witnesses? Who were these officers and who were the witnesses?”

“Officer Malloy and Officer Tanner. We asked them the same thing, but they told us that they couldn’t release the names of the witnesses. We tried to tell him that it was only the five of us and Jeffery Donner present at the time, but they weren’t listening to us at all.”

“So, what’s going on then?”

“They’ll be transferring Nick over to the California State Prison first thing tomorrow morning. They weren’t sure how long he would be detained there, but they did say that he would be able to appeal in a court hearing. In the meantime, they said all we can do is look for the best lawyer out there to help him in his case.”

Johnny began to rub his temples, obviously trying to ward off the tension headaches that was now bothering him. “This is making no sense at all…”

“Yeah, tell us about it. Having us say anything was like having us talk to a damn brick wall.”

Johnny continued to rub his temples, remaining silent for a while. He finally looked up at us, an idea popping into his mind. “We’re gonna get to the bottom of this. Until then, Nick’s just gonna have to hold on and play along… we’re gonna find him the best damn lawyer there is, and we’re gonna get him out of there.”