- Text Size +
I sat on the chair, my left leg bouncing up and down, shaking relentlessly as my urge to smoke a cigarette grew stronger. We found ourselves back at Howie’s house with the whole Jive team this time, making rearrangements and heightening our security team, for what purposes I’ll never know. Early this morning Johnny got together with the FBI and demanded for Jeffery’s body to be exhumed. Kevin and Howie was busy talking to Johnny and the rest of the security team while Brian was on the phone, probably with Leighanne. I, was just sitting on one of Howie’s big, comfy chair, wanting to go outside and smoke a cigarette to calm my nerves.

As my eyes continued to scan the room, the urge refused to leave so I eventually gave in. Sighing heavily, I pushed myself up from the chair and left everyone, walking outside of Howie’s house. Once I walked a few feet away, I quickly pulled out my pack of cigarettes and shook a stick out. I placed it to my mouth and began to search for my lighter. I began to pat my pockets and my chest, muttering a curse word when I realized that I didn’t have my lighter on me.

I pulled the cigarette from my mouth and placed it behind my ear, deciding to save it for later for when I found a goddamn lighter or match.

“Looking for a light?”

I turned to the voice that had asked me that question to see a male that looked not that much older than me. He was wearing an FBI uniform and was already puffing on a cigarette. I looked down at the lighter he was holding out to me.

“Thank you.” I muttered as I accepted his lighter. I took the cigarette from behind my ear and placed it in my mouth again to smoke.

“Detective Daniels.” he said as he reached out his hand towards me.

I lit my cigarette and took a deep drag. “Alex.” I replied while I exhaled the smoke. I shook his hand and gave him back his lighter.

“No introduction needed sir… I know a lot about you fellas, maybe more than you know.”

I nodded as I continued to puff on my cigarette. We both fell silent for a while, just continuing to smoke. With one last drag, he finally flicked his cigarette to the ground and stubbed it out with his shoe.

“So, who’d ever thought that Nick Carter would be found guilty of murder?”

“He’s not guilty.” I sharply replied. “They got him locked up for the wrong reason.”

“Hey, I understand how that all goes. I mean, it was only the six of you guys present at the time. It’s just… ironic how the five of you were able to walk away from this alive.”

I shot a glare at him. “Excuse me? Walk away from it alive? I was taken away by paramedics, barely alive because of that man. If it wasn’t for Nick…” I faltered in my words as memories flooded my mind so quickly. “If it wasn’t for Nick, I wouldn’t be alive.”

“I’m just saying man… what are the chances that you guys were able to live through this whole ordeal and leave the bad guy dead? It’s just… un-fucking-believable.”

“Well, I guess that makes us walking testimonies.” I replied as I took another drag of my cigarette.

“Do you…” he started. “Do you remember anything from that night?” I shook my head, of course lying. When he realized that I wasn’t going to say anything, he continued on. “I mean, how can you guys testify on Nick’s behalf if you can’t even remember what happened that night, our witnesses clearly stated…”

“Are you interrogating me?” I interjected, this detective was really beginning to piss me off.

“Me? Interrogating you?” he asked me in a cocky tone. “Of course not, why would I do something like that?”

“Well, because you’re beating around the bush instead of coming out to ask or say what you really want to. I mean, that’s how interrogation works right, beating around the bush to try and get us to say what you want to hear?”

“You boys think you know everything…” he muttered. What in the hell was that supposed to mean? “Nick had the same notion about it all…” I glanced over at him, I don’t remember seeing him at the station, so how could he know about what Nick said or thought? “Maybe you guys should lay back on the movies, fills people’s heads with all this little nonsense.”

“Yeah…” I slurred off.

“But…” he sighed. “Who am I to question you guys? I mean, you guys have been through hell and back, I still can’t get over the stories that I heard at the station. I know if I was in your guys shoes I would just… I would just fucking break. You think that it’s all over, but you realize that you have all these… empty spaces you gotta fill, and it’s only just the beginning for you five.” I glanced over at him and seen this smug look on his face. “Boy, must be hard when everything’s left incomplete…”

I continued to stare at him as he just stared forward, the smug look never leaving his face.

“Detective Daniels.” one of his agents called.

He turned to the voice and then looked back at me. “Well, it was a pleasure chatting with you Alex. See ya around.”

I simply nodded and watched him as he walked away. I took the last drag of my cigarette and flicked it to the ground, how bad I wanted to smoke another one. I began to think back on what he said about us thinking it’s all over but we have these empty spaces to fill… gosh, I fucking hate cops.