- Text Size +
“So, how has everything been so far?”

I tried my best to give the most genuine smile that I could muster, “Everything has been going great to tell you the truth, I’m concentrating more on my wife and actually starting a family of our own.”

“Speaking of concentration, has your life differed since you departed from the Backstreet Boys.”

I took a long pause, my life has completely differed. “Well, of course since I departed there were some major… changes that had to take place and everything, but I can honestly say that my life hasn’t differed.” I had to lie. “People still view me as a Backstreet Boy, and it’s not like I had quit from the group or anything. I call it an individual indefinite hiatus for me because like I said before, I wanted to really focus on my wife and starting a family of my own and that’s what I’m doing right now. I still have fans that linger around, I would say the only difference is that they always ask me why I left the group, I guess it’s just a complicated thing that no one will understand.”

“It’s not a complicated thing at all actually.” Frank Skinner turned to address the audience. “Ladies, he does live a life apart from the Backstreet Boys! It’s his life, his decisions, let the poor lad alone.”

I could only laugh and shake my head. “I mean, it’s true.” he continued on. “If anything, I think we should all be proud of the fact that you’re concentrating more on your family and whatnot, so good for you. Now… I know this is a touchy subject to talk about, so if you have any objections, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Last year, the five of you had gone through a horrific tribulation, and the world continues to mourn the death of young Aaron Carter; but, how has everything been for you guys?”

I took a deep breath in, I should have known that this question would arise. There was no way I could avoid it, the world had to know sooner or later. “Well, the five of us are just taking it day by day, and to tell you the truth everyday is a struggle for us. As you can tell, we’re all… scarred in our own ways, I mean, a year later and I’m still going to a physical rehabilitation for my leg and I’m still on a cane. Like you said, the tribulation we had gone through was indeed horrific and it has taken a great toll on all of us. We normally see our appointed shrinks once a month, but we’re able to meet with them whenever necessary. Even though it’s been a year, the incident is still fresh within our minds and all, so really, in this case a year isn’t a long time. We’re still transmuting our horrific experience into nothing but a memory, and it’s a slow and strenuous progress, but progress nonetheless. I’m hoping we’ll soon enter the phase of putting all that in the past and just… moving on with our lives. Don’t you think we’re doing a good job with that? I mean, I’m with my wife trying to start a family, and the other four fellas are working to put out another Backstreet album.”

“I truly tip my hat of to you fellas,” Frank and the rest of the audience began clapping. “I truly do. I may not know how it feels to be in the music industry, but I do understand how the entertainment business works nonetheless. Life moves so quick when you’re in that business, regardless of what you go through, and you guys always manage to rise above it all. I’m not only saying this in part of what you guys have been through a year ago, but you guys have manage to overcome it all for the past decade and then some, so really hats off to you fellas.”

“Thank you. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the love and support our fans and just people in general continue to give us, I really don’t think we would’ve made it through all these years.”

“I have to agree, I mean you Backstreet Boys have one of the most dedicated and loyal following I’ve ever seen, and the last time I’ve ever seen a following like that was with the whole Beetle Mania, and that was crazy, but of course people consider you guys to be the Beetles of today. Well, I hate to say it but it looks like that’s all the time we have for today. Ladies and gentlemen, give it up one more time for the remarkable Kevin Richardson.”

I smiled and waved as the crowd broke out into cheering and clapping. I shook hands with Frank once more and then made my way out towards the backstage. I looked up and seen my wife standing there, smiling at me.

“How ya feeling hunny?” she asked me as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder and we began to make our way our of the studio.

“I’m alright.” I lied.