- Text Size +
“Excuse me?” I asked them, not wanting to believe what I was hearing. “First degree murder?”

“Yes, he’s being charged with first degree murder of Jeffery Donner.”

“Wait, who the hell is Jeffery Donner?” AJ interjected this time, his anger getting the best of him.

“There’s nothing more I can tell you guys, we are in a public place. If you’d like to know more, please follow us to the station.” and with that, he left out after his partner and Nick.

I looked at AJ and Brian, who had shock clearly written all over their face. My eyes roamed over at the customers, they were simply staring at us.

“Lets go.” I said, breaking the silence and out of our appalled state.

We all quickly left McDonalds and jumped into our respective cars to drive down to the station. “Call Kevin and tell him to meet us down at the station.” I told Brian before I jumped into my car. One by one we pulled out of the parking lot and drove over towards the station.

It was a ten minute drive from where we were, but once we got there I quickly parked my car and jumped out, not even bothering to lock. Not long after AJ pulled in followed by Brian. I stood by the entrance and waited for them to get out of their cars.

“Kevin’s on his way down here.” Brian informed me.

I nodded and opened the door to the station, the three of us silently walking in. We approached the front desk and waited for the female receptionist to address us.

“Can I help you?” she asked us, stopping whatever it was that she was typing on the computer.

“Yes, we’re not sure of what they’re names are, but there were two officers that brought in a guy by the name of Nickolas Gene Carter. We’d like to talk to those officers to get some answers.”

She nodded and resumed typing on her computer once again. “Please take a seat, I’ll be sure to have one of Carter’s arresting officers address you gentlemen.”

The three of us turned right around and sat in the waiting area of the police station. I held my head in my hands as I tried to think, who the hell was Jeffery Donner? But, try as I might, the name just didn’t ring a bell.

“You guys, who the hell is Jeffery Donner?” AJ broke my thoughts, more like read my thoughts.

“I don’t know.” Brian finally answered. “Never heard of him in my life.”

“You guys don’t…” AJ started, but then stopped. Both Brian and I turned to look at him as he continued to stare at the ground. “You guys don’t think… there’s something he’s not telling us, right? I mean, he wouldn’t hide something like this from us.”

“No.” I replied sharply. “There’s nothing he’s hiding from us, he didn’t do it. I’m sure this is… all just some kind of big misunderstanding.”

Both Brian and AJ looked away, hoping that what I said was right. I closed my eyes and sighed, I’m not too sure if I was right at all.