- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey guys!  Here's the next chapter.  Just wanted to give you a heads up -- I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and won't be back until Sunday afternoon, so unfortunately this is the last chapter until at the soonest, Monday.  But please review a bunch so I have something to look forward to when I get back.  You know reviews keep me writing!!

Also, the title still remains "My Girl" but I ran out of lyrics to use, so now I'm switching to the song Nick did with Melissa Schuman called "There for Me".

Enjoy!!

 

Her eyes got really big and she leaned forward as if she had misunderstood. “Did you just ask me to move in with you?” She asked, completely stunned.

“Well…I mean, not in the sense that you’re thinking. I’m not trying to push for anything here, Shell,” I quickly explained so she wouldn’t think my motive was wrong. “I have a guest bedroom. I already have a room set up for Lanie since she stays with me sometimes. My dad’s in Tampa now and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind helping your family load up his truck and bring it over here. That way, we wouldn’t have to worry about the hotel situation and you would have all your personal belongings,” I explained. It seemed rational enough to me.

She sat there gnawing on her fingernail – a nervous habit she had ever since I met her. “I-I don’t know, Nick. I mean…what about when it’s all over? Won’t it be redundant to just…move everything over here and then have to move it all back a little while later?” She asked me. I shrugged.

“It could be two to five years, Shelb. We don’t know when she’s gonna get better,” I whispered. I didn’t want to say if she’s going to get better. We didn’t want to think of it that way just yet. Shelby nodded and sucked in a deep breath.

“Are you sure, though? I mean, Nick, we never got along when we lived together four years ago. How are we supposed to just magically get along now?” She frowned and folded her legs up on the bed.

I shrugged again. “We are now.” I said simply. It was the truth. She nodded and looked around the room as if looking for another excuse to say no. “We can just give it a try. It’s better than living out of a hotel.” I said. Why was I trying to be so convincing? It wasn’t like this was headed anywhere. I mean, maybe we’d be good friends but I wasn’t sure I could see myself being close with Shelby like we had in the past.

“I guess you’re right,” she sighed. “It’s just so complicated…picking up and moving in with you like that. But it would help because I don’t have the money to get my own place right now.”

“Exactly,” I sighed and gently rubbed her shoulder. “We can make this work, Shell. We need to like, reorganize our lifestyles so we can take care of Lanie. Everything will work itself out.”

All of a sudden, our thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. “Room service.” A man called from the other side. I hopped up off the edge of the bed and went to answer the door.

“Thanks,” I smiled and took the tray on wheels from him and brought it into the room. “It smells so good.” It wasn’t until then that I realized just how hungry I really was. I lifted the tray off and handed Shelby her plate and took mine, as well.

“Yeah, it does…” she trailed off. She didn’t seem as hungry as I was. I was shocked, because I knew Shelby and I knew she had gone longer without eating. She found out about Lanie’s illness before she called me, meaning she had probably already gone twenty-four hours without food.

“You need to eat, Shell,” I muttered as I took a bite out of my chicken. “Please? I don’t need you getting sick from not eating. I’m not sure what I’d do if you got sick and Lanie was sick, too.” I said in all seriousness. I looked up, feeling her stare. “What?”

“N-Nothing…” she stuttered and took a bite out of chicken. I kept looking at her, hoping she’d decide to continue. “It’s just, I never imagined you caring, Nick. I know that’s a rough thing to say, but it’s the truth. I know you love Lanie to death and I’ve always believed that you did. I just never thought you cared much for me.” She shrugged.

I thought for sure after spending so much time with Shelby again and being around her all day long she’d think otherwise. But I guess not. “I-I’m so sorry, Shell. I never meant to make you feel that way.”

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Nick,” she smiled a small, gentle, innocent smile. “I was just being paranoid.” She shrugged.

“Well, no more of that,” I smiled and winked. “I care about you, Shelly. More than I think you’ll ever know. And more than I thought I did before this.” I admitted.

“Do you ever think about that?” She questioned quietly as we both continued to eat our lunch – both really glad we had decided to order food.

“Think about what?” I asked her, unsure of what she was referring to.

“Think about this whole cancer situation. I mean, my mom always told me as a kid that sometimes bad situations bring about something good. Kinda like the belief that everything happens for a reason, ya know?” Shelby muttered. I nodded as she continued. “I’m really grateful that you and I are talking again and can have a healthy communication. But I’m not sure I’d want Lanie to be this sick ever…even if it meant not talking to you…” she trailed off, but then came back quickly before I could say anything. “But then I feel like that’s not the truth. I’ve been wanting to get back in touch with you ever since you left. And then I feel guilty for feeling that way since Lanie’s so sick…”

“Shell,” I quickly cut her off before she could put herself down any more. “I know you didn’t wish this upon Lanie. No one did. Everything happened and it’s in the past now. We can’t make it better by snapping our fingers or waving a magic wand. Don’t put the guilt on yourself for wanting to talk to me again. I know how you feel. I’m so glad we’re talking but I know this wouldn’t have happened without Lanie getting sick,” I mumbled and crumbled up a napkin I was using for my chicken and tossed it in the trashcan.

Shelby nodded. “I just don’t understand everything. I hope someday I will.” I knew she was referring to the question that continually popped up – why us? Why our daughter?

I didn’t know what else to say, so instead I pulled out the strawberry platter. “These look good. I’m glad you ordered them. There are three, so we can each have one and then take one back to Lanie tomorrow morning.” I smirked.

Shelby smiled and took one from the tray, placing it between her lips and taking a bite. I couldn’t help but watch and I couldn’t help the feelings in my gut. “Damn, these are good.” She smirked and pulled away the remainder of the strawberry, leaving a trail of chocolate right above her lip. I chuckled and shook my head. “Ugh, do I have chocolate all over me?” She laughed and I nodded. She licked her lips, trying to find the chocolate, but no such use. “Give me a napkin, smartass.” She giggled as I continued to laugh.

A napkin, eh? I decided to be the brave one and leaned in to kiss her, this time running my tongue along her top lip and getting it for myself. “Better?” I asked softly as I pulled away. She nodded, her brown eyes showing some kind of daze, and leaned back in, kissing me harder and rougher than I thought she would.
Chapter End Notes:

Review PLEASE!!

Thanks a bunch =]