- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, I got one review! Thanks for reading & letting me know what you think! Please review!! OH, btw. There's some not so great language in this chapter .. so read with caution.
I swear, I thought my heart stopped. “S-She has what?” I stuttered.

“Leukemia,” Shelby sobbed on the other end. “It’s bad, Nick. They're doing tests now.”

“What the fuck, Shelby,” I slammed my fist into the brick wall. “Shit.” I muttered as I watched the blood drip. “Where are you?”

“I-In California,” she hiccupped. “With your sister.”

I ran the bloody hand through my hair. I wasn’t thinking clearly. I could barely process my words. “Which one?” I tried not to cry.

“BJ,” she whispered. I felt safe knowing that Shelby had at least taken Lanie somewhere that I felt comfortable - at home. “Where are you?”

“I’m in Sacramento. I’m going to leave on my tour bus now and head home,” I said. I could hear her crying in the background. “Shelby?” I asked as I swallowed the lump in my throat.

“Yeah?” I heard her ask, again in a whisper.

“I’m really sorry for being such an asshole,” I closed my eyes as I let a tear fall.

I waited for her to come back with saying something as simple as goodbye or even ‘screw you’. But instead, “It’s okay, Nick. I’m sorry for being a bitch.” It was a whisper, and it wasn’t exactly a time to be happy, but all I could do was smile. “I need you here.” I think she was hoping she’d whisper so softly that would be inaudible, but it wasn’t.

“I’ll be there soon,” I whispered back. After we said goodbye, we both hung up and I went to find the boys and Leighanne.

“Holy shit, Nick! What happened to your hand?” AJ yelled as I walked back into the club. “And are you crying?”

“I need to leave. I need to tell you guys something,” I said and motioned for the door. All the boys and Leighanne followed me out. Leighanne was the only one who knew and put a comforting hand on my shoulder. “I need to go to LA right now. I talked to Shelby and, uh…” this was going to be harder than I thought. “Lanie has…leukemia.” I spat out the word as it left a sour taste in my mouth.

“A-As in cancer?” Howie swallowed hard as I nodded and let my tears fall freely.

“I need to go to LA to be with her and Shelby,” I cried. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, man,” Kevin shook his head and wrapped his arms around me. “We’ll all go back for a day or two and be with you and them. This isn’t going to be easy.”

I nodded in Kevin’s shoulder. I knew this was going to be the time that I needed them the most. They were my rocks. They kept me going each day. And I was sure that would need to wear off on Shelby.