- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reviews!! The next chapter has already been written, but once I get a few reviews, I'll post it up! R&R! Btw, all the information I give out on ALL cancer is true. I researched it and I've seen it personally, so I've tried to put in as much info but make it as simple as possible.
“Basically, your daughter is at the perfect age, if there is one, to have this disease. She’s almost four. Most four-year-olds that I have seen with this form of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, also known as ALL, come out fine. The treatment process lasts about two to three years,” he explained.

“Two to three years?” I asked, shocked. “Will it really take that long?”

“I know it sounds like a long time, Mr. Carter. But most cancer patients spend five years or more in treatment before they reach remission,” he thought he was making us feel better, but he really wasn’t.

“The treatment consists of mainly chemotherapy. There are a bunch of other drugs that we use to adjust her to the chemo before jumping in to a full blown-out chemistry session,” I wanted to lean over the table and pull his damn stethoscope so he was face to face with me and tell him to crack one more cancer joke and see what happened. He coughed a little, obviously aware that we weren’t laughing. “But like I said, I’m sure she’s going to be fine.”

We exited the office to go back and finally see Lanie. “I don’t like him.” Shelby muttered as we walked down the bleach-smelling hallway full of parents and friends, worried sick about their family just like we were.

“I know,” I sighed. I put my arm around her back comfortingly as we approached Lanie’s room. BJ had been sitting in there keeping her company while we were with the doctor.

“Look, there’s mommy and daddy,” BJ smiled at us. I tried so hard to swallow back my tears and form a smile over my cracked lips.

“Hey baby,” I whispered. She looked so pale. Her big blue eyes and long blonde curly hair reminded me of a Precious Moments porcelain doll. Lanie and I walked over to her bed and each took a side to sit on as BJ exited.

“Daddy!” Lanie exclaimed and reached her arms out to hug me. I let out a little half sob, half laugh and reached down to hug her tightly before she saw my tears. Shelby put her hand on my back and as I looked up, I saw the tears in her eyes. “I missed you, daddy.”

“I missed you too, baby girl,” I whispered. “I’m so sorry you aren’t feeling good, honey. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to keep you safe.”

“It’s okay, daddy,” she said maturely. I smiled and let her go gently back on her pillow. “Can you come home with me and mommy?”

“Honey, you have to stay at the hospital for a little while,” Shelby cut in before I had a chance to even defend myself. “But mommy and daddy are going to stay here with you, okay?” Lanie nodded and reached up to hold Shelby’s hand. Shelby smiled through her tears and brought the little hand up to her lips to kiss. “I don’t want you to be scared, okay?”

“I’m not scared,” Lanie said proudly. Shelby and I both smiled at her bravery. “But mommy, my tummy hurts.” She rubbed her stomach with her other hand.

“I know, baby,” Shelby leaned down to place a kiss on her forehead. “I know. But listen, how about you try to get some sleep, kay? I’ll come in to check on you in a little bit.”

“Okay. Goodnight,” she closed her big blue eyes and I watched the tears cascade down Shelby’s face. I felt numb until I realized my own tears were quickly falling down my cheeks.

“Night, angel,” Shelby whispered and kissed her once more before getting up. I leaned down and kissed her, too.

“I love you,” I whispered and walked out with Shelby. Once we made it into the waiting room, we collapsed together on two uncomfortable chairs. I put my hand on Shelby’s and we intertwined our fingers together. “I’m here for you.” I whispered so she knew that I truly was there for her.

“I know,” she whispered. “But you wanna know what’s really amazing?” She looked over at me. I nodded and a small grin curved up the corners of her mouth. “We’ve spent almost an hour together and I haven’t wanted to kill you or call you an asshole yet.”

She was right. It was amazing.