- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you all don't hate me for this ending. I really put a lot of thought into it, and this was the way I wanted the story to go. I MAY be picking up a sequel, so watch for it!!
May 2008

“They’re so beautiful,” Shelby whispered with tears streaming down her cheeks.

“You’re so amazing,” I whispered back, kissing her forehead for the millionth time, unable to hide my own tears. “You did beautifully, baby.”

“I couldn’t have done it without you,” she grinned up at me, kissing me softly. The doctor grinned at us.

“So, mommy and daddy,” she winked. “Do you have names in mind?” She asked. I looked down at Shelby and she smiled up at me.

“Chloe Elaine and Conner Nickolas,” Shelby muttered, more tears streaming out the corners of her eyes; this time, not necessarily happy tears. “I wish their big sister was here to see them.”

Lanie Marie Carter passed away in February of 2008. We had an amazing family vacation to New York for Christmas and New Years, where I asked Shelby to marry me…again. Lanie had been in our wedding, though at that time, she was sicker than she had ever been and had to be in a wheelchair. The last few weeks of Lanie’s life were hard on both Shelby and I. We never imagined losing our daughter. Even though we were faced with her death many times before, we never imagined it actually taking her away from us.

Lanie had wanted to name the babies Conner and Chloe; ironically, somehow she guessed they’d be a boy and a girl. I was never before religious until Lanie got sick, even more so when Lanie died. I truly believe she’ll watch over Shelby and I, as well as the two new little additions, until the day we die and meet her up there.

I miss her every day, so does Shelby. It was very hard at first, but Shelby knew she had to go on for the babies and I knew I had to go on, well, for Shelby. I don’t think I’ll ever get over the fact that Lanie’s gone. It’ll always hang over me and make me incredibly sad. But I do thank Lanie every night and day for bringing her mom back to me. I think that was something she was meant to do with her illness. And now Shelby’s blessed me with two other babies, which will never take Lanie’s place.

I know Lanie’s better now and she’s in a happier place. I see her every day in her mom, and now in these two little babies I’m cradling in my arms.

Here’s to a new beginning.
Here’s to Lanie.