- Text Size +
“Thanks for meeting me guys. I really appreciate it. I know it was short notice but it’s really important, and I’m not sure I can say it four times without going insane.”

“Nick, what’s wrong? This sounds serious,” Brian asked in curiosity.

“Yea, I know, man. No offense, but you look like hell. What’s going on?” A.J, as well as Brian, Kevin and Howie noticed Nick’s troubled and scared look from the moment he entered the restaurant. His four band mates were invited for lunch, but Nick refused to order anything claiming a lack of hunger. This alone waved a red flag to the other guys because Nick would never invite people to lunch than not eat himself. It had become obvious that there was an ulterior motive behind his actions.

“It’s about Emily.”

The four guys locked eyes with Nick in complete shock. Nick rarely ever talked about Emily, and his relationship with her was always something he kept relatively private. His sudden willingness to talk about her sent a wave of worry over everyone at the table. Something was wrong.

“Three days ago, she was in a car accident.” Nick paused for a significant amount of time, trying to convince the tears in his eyes to hold off. Finally, he continued, “She was hit by a drunk driver.” Against his will, a tear escaped his left eye. He quickly wiped it away, feeling slightly embarrassed. “She’s in the hospital, and she’s in a coma.”

The news was beyond shocking. The table fell silent, and the mood became damper. Nick felt obligated to speak after dropping such a huge bombshell, but he had no idea what to say. What could he say? His best friend was lying in a hospital bed in a coma. His words could never change that.

Finally, after many moments of awkwardness, Kevin spoke up.

“Nick,” he paused, not entirely sure of what he should say, “you know we’ll be there for you. I know this has to be extremely hard for you, but you aren’t alone. And neither is Emily. We’ll all be there for both of you. You don’t even have to ask.”

Nick always knew he could depend on these four men for anything. They were his backbone, his best friends, and his family. Anytime Nick needed someone to support him, it was them he turned to. They’re support and comfort had gotten him through times that probably should have destroyed him, but his best friends would never let him fail himself. Nick trusted them with his life, and he hated that he could rarely do the same for them.

“Nick,” Brian spoke up, “I can only imagine how you must be feeling, but you know we all love Emily, too.”

Howie added, “Yea, she’s like our little sister.”

Nick wanted to cry now more than ever. Between the pain of Emily’s situation and the love he felt from his best friends, Nick had never before felt so vulnerable. The realization of it all made him want to curl up in a corner and hide from the world. But that would make him weak, and that would let Emily down. He refused to let her down.

“Thank you, guys. I really appreciate it. I feel like I’ve been living in hell the passed few days.” Nick’s confession surprised all the guys. He was never one to admit when he was feeling helpless or lost. “I feel like I let her down so badly. I’ve been living in regret like never before, and I really think it’s starting to kill me.”

Nick’s continuous confessions greatly increased the worry had for the young man within the group. His friends were seeing a side of him no one knew existed, and the fear of Nick falling apart was immense.

“Nick, she loves you. She wouldn’t have been your friend all these years if she didn’t. I know you’re regretting a lot of the mistakes you’ve made, but I really don’t think Emily is holding them against you.” Kevin’s words were as comforting to Nick as Emily’s presence had always been. She never did hold Nick’s mistakes against him, but most of the time, she never forgave him either.

Sadly, Nick admitted, “I just don’t want to let her down anymore.”

Brian smiled at Nick’s sudden sense of maturity and evolvement. “I don’t think you will, Nick. I think you might love her too much.”


The lunch continued for only another half hour, but it was completely miserable for Nick. The guilt he was filling for not being at Emily’s side was eating him inside and out. Even though his reason for not being at her bedside was for a good cause, he still felt like he was failing her again. After finally arriving at 1:30, Nick’s whole state of mind changed, and he began to feel happier and more cheerful.

“Emily! I’m sorry I was late. But, the good news is, I brought some friends with,” he smiled at his accomplishment.

“Hi, Em!” Four voices called out, far from in unison.

The sight brought a horrible feeling over the guys. She was their friend, and they all cared about her. The feeling of helplessness seemed to be contagious towards anyone that was in the room. There was nothing anyone could do, and it was heart-wrenching to accept such a horrible fact.

A few hours later, the guys decided to head home and inform their family of the terrible news. All of them vowed to return later in the week for a visit, but secretly, they all hoped it wouldn’t be necessary.

Once again, Nick was alone with only his thoughts to keep him occupied.


“Hello?”

“Nickyyyyyyy!” The voice on the other end of the phone excitedly shrieked.

“Didn’t I tell you not to call me that?”

“Didn’t I tell you I don’t care what you say?”

“Gee, thanks, Em,” Nick laughed. “So what’s up, girl?”

“Nothing, I just haven’t talked to you in a while. You never call me,” she said in a sad voice.

“Don’t feel bad, I never call anyone,” he laughed at his own joke.

“I’m sure,” Emily sarcastically informed Nick. “So what are you doing?”

“Actually, I’m in the studio right now. I just finished recording a song.”

“Really?” Emily asked excitedly.

“Yea, it’s a duet. It’s pretty cool.”

“A duet,” she asked slightly confused, “with who?”

“Melissa Schuman. She’s was in Dream,” he informed her.

“Oh yea, I remember them. I want to hear it,” she exclaimed.

Nick laughed at his friend’s excitement. “You’ll be the first, I promise!”

“So I should go check Live Daily for leaks, then, huh?”Emily asked sarcastically, knowing that Nick rarely followed through with his promises.

“Why do you go on that site? It’s not like you can’t get the latest information from a more reliable source.”

“Oh, really? Like who?” She teased Nick.

“Ha, ha! If you keep being mean to me, I’ll never let you hear the song.”

“Oh, the horror! Carter deprivation!”

“I knew you couldn’t handle it,” Nick joked, knowing it would get on Emily’s nerves.

“Oh yea, Nick. You caught me!”

Nick laughed at the friendly banter between the two. He loved joking with Emily. She could take it just as well as she could dish it.

“Listen, babe, I gotta go. I’ll call you as soon as I get the finished copy and I’ll send it you, ok?”

“Alright, Nicky. Don’t be a stranger!”

“I won’t, babe. Talk to you later.”

“Yup, later!”


Click.


“Hello?”

“Check your mail, babe!”

“Nick! You actually called me!”

“I told you I would! Now go check you’re email before your Carter deprivation gets out of control,” Nick jokingly said.

“You know something, Nick? Sometimes I don’t know why I talk to you,” Emily laughed.

“Cause you love me too much to stop,” he smiled on the other end of the phone.

“Unfortunately,” she jokingly agreed. “So is this your new song I’m getting?”

“Yes it is, just like I promised,” Nick proudly informed her.

“Wait! Hold on a second. Did you just make and keep two promises at the same time?”

Even Nick had to laugh at the realization, “I think I did.”

“Wow, I think hell just froze over.”



“Still no sign of her parents?”

“No. I think I’m gonna try calling them tomorrow.”

Sam was surprised by Nick’s sudden interest in righting things between Emily and her parents, but still, she was impressed.

“Good luck with that, Nick. I doubt it will be easy.”

“Nothing right is ever easy. I’ve been learning that the hard way.”