- Text Size +
Chapter 5: The Burning


Contessa and Nick finished their pizza as she checked the time.

"Hey, I have to get going Nick, but I'll pick you up at your hotel around 7 pm. Is that okay?"

Nick nodded standing up. "This should be fun. Do I have to dress anyway special?"

"Nah, it's nothing fancy, just casual or whatever you usually wear is fine.

They walked to her car and Contessa drove him back.

"See ya later!" Nick said smiling as he got out of the car. Contessa waved and went to do some of her royalty duties.

"So Nick, how's it going?" Howie asked as the two of them met just outside Nick’s hotel room.

"It's going well. I think I really have made a great friend." Nick smiled.

"That's great; you do seem as if you are having a great time."

Nick smiled and let Howie into his room. They took a seat in the living area of the room.

"So, wanna catch a movie or something tonight?" Howie asked.

"Contessa and I have plans; she's gonna take me to see Zozobra. You should come, it's gonna be really fun."

"Aw Nick, that's ok. I don't want to get in the way of your date."

"No really, Howie. She's going to be there with her court and it's a great chance for you to meet her. And maybe we can find you your own babe." Nick smirked.

Howie laughed, "Who says that I want a babe?"

"Howie, you are the Latin Lover! This is your chance to get your self some Spanish loving!" Nick said, laughing.

"Eh, ok fine. I'll go with you." Howie said winking.

Nick smiled happily.

"Great, I'm going to take a shower, you go get ready too."

Howie watched Nick walk away to the bathroom. He was glad Nick was getting over the depression he had been in. Finding this young woman, Contessa, might actually be good for him.

Howie was just putting on some after shave in his room a few minutes later when Nick knocked.

"You ready bro?"

Howie grabbed his wallet and tucked it into the back of his jeans.

"Yeah, let's go."

The two men went and found Contessa downstairs waiting. She was in black cow boy boots, blue jeans and a purple blouse and wore her crown and jewelry.

"Hey Tessa, this is Howie; he’s one of my band mates." Nick said pointing at Howie.

"Tessa? Why are you calling me Tessa? And duh, I know Howie! I am a fan of your band Nick!"

"Oh yeah. And I'm calling you Tessa because it's cute. Just like you." Nick said smiling.

Contessa rolled her eyes but smiled a bit. She wouldn't let Nick know about her teenybopper crush on him that she had had for years. All she could do was hope that Nick would develop feelings for her as well.

Contessa pulled up to the park, which was already extremely crowded with people.

"Wow." Nick said looking around.

Contessa smiled and led Nick and Howie towards the side stage area.

"Hey everyone." She said waving to some of the girls that were already standing by the stage dressed like her, but with smaller crowns.

"Hi." Nick and Howie greeted them.

Nick noticed one of the princesses watching him. She had shoulder length mocha colored hair and honey colored eyes. Nick’s eyes went down and he smirked, seeing a rather large chest.

Noticing Nick watching her, the girl walked over. "Hello, I'm Raquel Hernandez."

Nick smiled. "Nick Carter."

"I know who you are, Nick Carter." She said in the sexiest Spanish accent as her honey eyes travel over him and she smirked slowly with her full, kissable lips.

"So Nick, you've met my best friend." Contessa's voice broke through his thoughts.

Nick jumped a bit and tore his gaze away from Raquel.

"Oh... yeah." Nick smiled.

Contessa smiled brightly. "I introduced Howie to my other friend Diana. They seem to be getting along great."

Nick glanced over. Howie seemed to be getting along fine talking to yet another pretty Spanish Princess.

"Well Howie is the Latin Lover. I'm not surprised." Nick laughed.

“The burning is going to start soon." Contessa said, looking up at the darkening sky.

Nick glanced over at the large puppet and shivered. It was a bit spooky. Seeing Nick shiver, Raquel put her arm around him.

"Don't worry mi amor, I'll protect you." Raquel purred.

As Nick smiled at her, neither noticed the sad look pass over Contessa's face.

Soon, darkness had fallen and Contessa and the others were in place. Nick stood watching as some little kids came out to dance.

"Who are they?" He whispered to Contessa.

"Those are the little glooms."

Nick watched the small kids dance; they were awfully brave to dance so close to a moaning and crying puppet. That was the scariest part, Nick thought. Zozobra's head was moving back and forth, waving its arms and letting out horrible moans and cries.

"That man there is the fire dancer." Contessa told him as a man in a red unitard came out dancing with flaming torches.

Nick nodded holding his breath in excitement. Fireworks began to go off as Zozobra's cries echoed through the night. His heart was racing as the man dipped and bent with the torches as if he were teasing the massive puppet.

People were cheering, egging on the burning.

"BURN THE MOTHER! BURN BURN!" A group of guys chanted.

Nick smirked and then the fire dancer lit Zozobra. The cries were horrifying as he began to burn. Nick suspected some horror movies were less scary.

He joined the cheering as the monster was destroyed. Contessa was laughing and cheering too. As it ended she turned to him.

"Zozobra terrifies me you know." She admitted sheepishly.

Nick looked at her face and burst out laughing.

"Come on, let's party." He said taking her hand and leading her to the car. It was time for another party downtown.