- Text Size +
Nick continued to walk down the corridor, walking slower with every door he passed by. As soon as he got to the end of the hallway, he stopped in front of the room he was expected to go in. The door was slightly ajar. He slowly walked in and had felt the side of the wall, looking for the light switch. While he was looking for the switch, he didn’t notice that young Bernadette was standing behind him, staring at him.

All of a sudden, there was a loud crash that interrupted Nick’s search for the light switch.

“AJ!” Nick had shouted, but as soon as he turned around, the door slammed shut in his face, locking him in the basement. “C’mon Jay, this isn’t funny man…” Nick had shouted. “Haha, you’ve got me laughing, but the jokes over now…” he remained silent for a while, not hearing anyone on the other side.

He turned around and had leaned against the closed door. He wouldn’t lock me in here, would he? he asked himself. He knows I’m afraid of the dark. He pulled out his flashlight from his belt and had switched it on, shining it all over the basement. He began to descend doen the stairs, looking from side to side. As soon as he got to the bottom of the stairs, he just stood there for a while, taking everything in for the first time.

“Nick, where’s AJ?” a voice had cackled through his walkie-talkie, which caused him to jump a little.

He removed his walkie-talkie from his belt and had clicked the button. “How am I supposed to know? He was to go upstairs, and I’m downstairs… I’m like, locked down here.”

“Well, I’m trying to contact him, but there’s nothing… something must’ve happened to his walkie-talkie or something…”

Nick sighed, “Okay, that’s great, but were you listening to a damn word I was telling you? I’m locked down here… which means I have no way out… which also means that someone better haul ass down here to get me outta here!”

“Look, just do what you have to do for now… I’m gonna keep trying to get in touch with Bone, and I’ll contact you when your ten minutes is up… starting from now.”

Nick latched his walkie-talkie back onto his belt and began to roam the room. Dust particles snowed in front of the light he shone. “Great…” he groaned. “Now my allergies are gonna kick up…”

He continued to walk around until he felt his foot kick something, he looked down and seen that he had walked into a box. He shone his light down and had seen that there was more than one box; there were boxes that were stacked behind it. He knelt down and had opened the box he walked into, pulling out various old and dusty packets. Dust moths had eaten away at the paper, making the words hard to see. He placed his flashlight upwards, so the light shone up, and he began to open the packet.

He pulled out x-ray and cat scan sheets, looking it over. In the corner of the sheets had a name displayed in small print. His eyes squinted as he strained to read what it said. “George Pelowski…” Nick had read out loud to himself, that name was on both the x-ray and cat scan sheets. He placed it on the side and began to pull out even more papers that was in the packet, it was stat sheets on George Pelowski.

He placed the packet itself on the side and began to dig through the box again, stumbling across various photos and memorabilia. He looked down on the side of the box and had dusted off the dirt that was caked on. As soon as he wiped the dirt away, he read “GEORGE PELOWSKI” written boldly on the box. He picked up his flashlight and had shone it over the dozens of other boxes, and sure enough, it also had George Pelowski written all over it.

He placed all the stuff he had removed back into the box and had closed it, positioning it the same way he saw it. Just as he rose up off the ground, he seen one box that said, “GEORGE PELOWSKI -- DO NOT OPEN!” written on just one box out of the other dozen. Being the curious blonde he was, Nick bent down towards that one, abnormal box and had reluctantly opened it.

He began to scream as something had flew out of the boxes, attacking his face. “Stupid moths…” Nick grumbled as he began to cough, the dust in the atmosphere was suffocating the little amount of oxygen there was to circulate through the basement. He looked into the box and had seen that there was nothing but diaries and books inside. He removed one of the diaries and had opened it, the hardcover and pages creaking and wreaking of age. He blew the dust off and began to read the words that were written italicized boldly, written in all capitals.

“COME LITTLE CHILDREN, FOLLOW ME AND YOU WILL SEE
THAT THERE IS NO HARM NOR SIN IN PLAYING WITH ME
TELL SOMEONE, ANYONE THAT YOU’LL NO LONGER BE AROUND
FOR ONCE YOU PLAY, YOUR SOUL IS APART OF MY PLAYGROUND…”


Nick cringed as those words plagued his mind, this man must’ve been psychotic and thought he was Satan or something. He flipped through the pages and came across an entry that caught his interest.

“THE DEED WAS DONE… THERE’S NO REVERSING TIME NOW, POOR LITTLE CHILD… SO NAÏVE, SO VULNERABLE, SO SWEET. HER FRAGILE SNOW FLESH WAS DELECTABLE, HER BLOOD TASTED THAT OF INNOCENCE. THE MEMORY SEEMS SO FRESH WITHIN MY MIND…

THERE SHE STOOD, BY MY DOOR EVERYDAY. I WELCOMED HER WITH OPEN ARMS, AND SHE WOULD ENTER THEM. I HAD PROMISED HER THAT IF SHE HAD VISTIED ME ON A DAILY BASIS, I WOULD BE ABLE TO FULFILL HER EVERY FANTASY… GIVE HER EVERYTHING SHE’S EVER WANTED THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD EVER GIVE. HER FATHER, THE BEST HEART SURGEON AROUND, DID NOT WANT HIS DAUGHTER TO COME MY WAY, BUT MY BAIT HAD ALREADY LURED HER IN, SHE WAS MINE…"


Nick shuddered, wanting to know what he meant by “she was mine…” He turned the page and continued to read.

"THE TIME WAS NOW, I COULD HEAR HIM CALLING ME, TELLING ME IT WAS TIME TO STRIKE. AS ALWAYS, SHE WALKED INTO MY ROOM, HER CHOCOLATE BROWN CURLS BOUNCING ON HER SHOULDERS, AND SHE JUMPED UP ONTO THE BED. I TOLD HER THAT I COULD MAKE HER SEE SOMETHING THAT WAS BEYOND ANYTHING SHE HAS EVER SEEN. WITHOUT A FIGHT, SHE ALLOWED ME TO PLACE THE BLINDFOLD OVER HER EYES. AS SOON AS SHE WAS BLINDFOLDED, I BOUNDED HER ARMS BEHIND HER BACK, PLACING HER EVER SO GENTLY ONTO MY NOW EMPTY BED. I GOT UP AND HAD WALKED OVER TO THE DOOR, MAKING SURE IT WAS LOCKED. I WALKED BACK OVER TO HER AND PERFORMED THE RITUAL. I TOOK EVERYTHING HER YOUNG, INNOCENT LIFE HAD TO OFFER… BLOOD, BREATH, LIFE… VIRGINITY."

Nick’s eyes widened, the words AJ had said to Brian last night replayed through his head. “One day, the man had locked young Bernadette within his room and had raped her continuously, continuing to beat her until she fell silent and limp.”

George Pelowski was the one who had raped young Bernadette and had beat her to death. He turned the page and continued to read on.

“HE FED OFF OF HER, EVERYTHING FROM EATING HER FLESH, TO DRINKING HER BLOOD, TO CRUNCHING UPON HER BONES. HER SOUL WAS HIS NOW, SHE BELONGED TO HIM, BUT HE NEEDED MORE. HE PROMISED TO GIVE ME LIFE AFTER DEATH, TELLING ME GOD WOULD NEVER GRANT ME WITH SOMETHING AS WONDEROUS AS THIS. I SIGNED MY SOUL TO HIM, SO I COULD COMMIT HIS DEEDS. HE WOULD CONTINUED TO FEED, THE BLOOD HE DRANK MAKING HIM STRONGER, AND THEN, WHEN JUDGEMENT DAY ARRIVES, HE SHALL RISE ABOVE AND FACE THIS GOD THAT EVERYONE WORSHIPS… HE SHALL REPROCLAIM HIS THRONE ABOVE, AND HE SHALL FOREVER REIGN IN HIS REALM DOWN BELOW. ALL HE NEEDS IS FLESH AND BLOOD TO FEED UPON, AND THEIR SOULS SHALL DO THE REST.”

There was a sudden chill that blew past him, causing the hairs on the back of his neck to stand at full attention. There were no windows where he was, there was barely even oxygen circulating throughout the room, but the chilly breeze blew past him. He quickly closed the book, something telling him that he had to get out of there now. He place the book back into the box and had closed it, placing it back where he got it.

As soon as he rose up and turned around, he found himself gasping, frozen on the spot. There was a young girl standing at the base of the stairs, her black orbed eyes staring blankly at him. A white gown covered her decaying body, and her mouth was agape in such an awkward way. All of a sudden, she disappeared, and had reappeared right in front of him, her mangled hands reaching out to touch him.

He couldn’t scream, he couldn’t close his eyes, he couldn’t turn away. Something kept him there, keeping him from moving or screaming.

“GET OUT… NOW…” a voice was emitted from the young girl, being a mixture of voices rolled into one. Nick could barely make out what she said, it was so quick and hushed, but it wasn’t as if he didn’t understand what she said.

One blink of his eye, and she was gone. He didn’t waste anytime in sprinting upstairs and towards the door. He grabbed the doorknob and had jiggled it, but it was still locked. He began to pound on the door, screaming out, but the door didn’t budge. He grabbed his walkie-talkie and had radioed in. “Kevin… Kev man, come and get me now, I can’t finish this damn dare… please!”

He waited a while for an answer, but there was none. A voice then cackled through, but it didn’t belong to Kevin. “GET OUT… NOW…”

Nick stared at the walkie-talkie, his mouth hanging open, he then felt a presence behind him for some reason. He willed himself not to turn around, but curiosity got the best of him. Slowly, he turned around and had let out a blood curling scream.