- Text Size +
“Why isn’t she picking up?” Aaron asked out loud, talking more to himself as he hung up his cell phone and placed his hand back on the steering wheel.

“You aren’t suppose to be driving and talking on the phone.” Nick stated matter-of-factly.

“Nick,” Aaron sighed, “this is my car, don’t tell me what to do. Plus, I’m trying to help you guys, I really don’t think BJ would appreciate me just showing up with five beau… five women, asking her to borrow clothes.”

Aaron’s phone started to ring, and he took his one hand off the wheel again to grab it. “It’s her.” he said, talking more to himself again as he picked it up. “Hey BJ, why didn’t you answer when I first called you?”

Nick began to adjust the passenger seat, wondering why he was seated so close to the dashboard.

“Hey Nick,” AJ said as he leaned forward towards the back of Nick’s seat. “Put on the radio or something man…”

Nick nodded and looked over his brother’s sound system, wondering what all the buttons were for and how the hell you were suppose to turn it on. He finally pressed a button he assumed would turn it on, only to have one of Ludacris’ songs blast through the speakers.

Aaron almost lost control of the vehicle, the sudden blast of music scaring the hell out of him. He balanced the cell phone between his ear and shoulder while he placed both hands on the steering wheel, trying to ease his racing heart. He glanced over at his brother, seeing that he was covering his ears, as was the rest of them.

“HOW DO YOU TURN IT DOWN?!” Nick screamed over the music, not taking his hands off his ear.

Aaron reached over to his radio and had turned the volume down. “Leave the radio alone Nick…” he seethed before he turned his attention back to the road and his cell phone. “Sorry BJ, what were you saying?”

“Nick…” AJ whispered, leaning forward into the back of Nick’s seat again. “Turn the station.”

“Man, you just heard my brother tell me not to touch the radio.”

“C’mon man, stop being such a pussy. Who’s the oldest?” AJ began to smile when he saw Nick ponder the question. “Now stop being such a wuss and change the station, he ain’t gonna do anything to you.”

Nick glanced over at his younger brother, seeing that he was wrapped up on driving and talking to BJ on the phone. Sighing heavily, he reached over to the radio and began to flick through the channels.

From the corner of his eye, Aaron could see Nick messing with his radio again. “Hold on BJ…” he took on hand off the steering wheel and slapped Nick’s hand, stopping him from touching his radio. “Nick, didn’t I say not to touch the radio. Damn, you’re worse than a kid.”

Ironically, the station they landed on was playing a Britney Spears song, and Aaron refused to change it, he simply went back to talking to BJ on the phone. AJ huffed and sat back in his seat, folding his arms across his chest, not happy with the fact that they were now stuck with listening to one of Britney’s songs. Nick just stared at the radio, itching to just change the station once more, change it to something, anything else than “Lucky”.

As the song continued on, Nick noticed something different about him… something absolutely weird about him… he was actually digging the song for some reason. Something deep inside him was telling him to belt out a line from the song, but when he glanced back to his fellow female bandmates, they didn’t look too pleased with the fact that they were now stuck listening to Britney’s song. He bit his lip, slowly chewing on the bottom lip, willing the urge to belt out the song to go away.

Nick looked down at his hand, realizing for the first time that his long, slender finger was now tapping it’s nail against the car door. What the hell is going on? he wondered to himself as he now found his foot tapping to the beat. Now his head was swaying a little to the beat, he felt the urge getting stronger. AJ watched Nick as he began to bob his head to the beat of the song… no fucking way.

“Isn’t she lovely, this Hollywood girl…” Nick whispered. He couldn’t believe that just came out of his mouth, it slipped out through a whisper. He bit his lip harder, in hopes that it wouldn’t happen again, but he realized that it wasn’t so bad… he fell deeper into the song.

“And they say she’s lucky, she’s a star, but she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart thinking… if there’s nothing, missing in my life, then why do these tears come at night.” Nick sang a little louder.

AJ’s eyes grew wide, he couldn’t believe that he just heard Nick sing the chorus of that song. He looked at the other three and noticed that they were just as equally shocked as him. He couldn’t believe it, but at the same time he didn’t think it was bad either.

Nick broke out into a smile when he finally built the courage to belt out the song, regardless of the fact that his brother and fellow bandmates would find him awkward. “A standing image in a dream, but there’s no one there to wake her up…” he paused when he heard a new voice joining him; he turned to find Howie whispering along. “and the world is spinning and she keeps on winning, but tell me what happens when it stops…”

Brian glanced between Howie and Nick, watching them sing along to Britney’s song on the radio, wanting to be apart of it all too. “They go…” Brian smiled when he started to sing along with Howie and Nick, discovering that he was actually having fun singing along. “Isn’t she lovely, this Hollywood girl, and they say…”

AJ and Kevin were the only ones who weren’t singing as they continued to stare at Nick, Howie and now Brian as if they were crazy. The three of them were smiling, singing along to the words of the song, acting like… a chick.

“She’s lucky, she’s a star, but she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart thinking…” the three of them continued to sing, smiling at each other. “C’mon AJ and Kev…” Brian said, “I know you know the words…”

AJ chuckled and looked away, he DID know the words. “If there’s nothing, missing in my life, then why do these tears come at night…” he whispered, staring out the window, hoping that no one saw him whispering the words to the song.

But Kevin saw him, and couldn’t believe that all four of them were now singing the song. Nick was looking back at them, singing with a wide grin while Howie, Brian and now AJ were singing along with him. Aaron was still talking on the phone, oblivious to the fact that four out of five of them were now belting out Britney Spears’ song.

A small grin grew on Kevin’s face and he finally built up the courage to let it all out as well. “She is so lucky, but why does she cry… if there is nothing, missing in her life, why do tears come at night… AND THEY SAY!!”

“Sorry, hold on again BJ.” Aaron turned his head to see his brother and his four bandmates singing along to “Lucky”. “Nick, do you mind? You see me on the phone with BJ!”

Nick ignored him and just sang to him instead, “She’s lucky, she’s a star, but she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart thinking…”

Aaron sighed heavily, “Let me call you back BJ, on second thought, I’ll just see ya when we get to your house… yeah, we’re almost there… okay… bye.”

“C’mon Aaron… you know you wanna sing along…” Nick cracked.

Aaron glanced up in the rearview mirror and seen the rest of them smiling and singing along. He couldn’t help than to laugh at their antics, it’s funny how a catchy a song becomes good when it’s your friends belting it out.

“… then why do these tears come at night.” Aaron finished the song off quickly, followed by an eruption of laughter.