- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I have to setup the story before I can bring in the guys so please read on cause they are coming up soon. Thanks.
“I got it bad
Feel that rumble
tough and tumble under my feet
I got it bad
round and round, we've all gone mad
Scream it - I got it bad”
Was playing in the CD player and being blasted really loud through out the house. Haylie was singing along like she always did. She just loved blasted Leann Rimes when she got a chance. She started to dance down the hallway towards her room as she was getting packed for her vacation that would start in a matter of hours from now. It was already 11 a.m. and she had to be at the airport by 8 that night. She was so excited to finally get to go to the one place she’s always wanted to go, New York City. Being from a small town and from a family that didn’t take many vacations when she was growing up, other then to the state fair in Oklahoma City, she was so excited to finally get out of Checotah, Oklahoma. As the song ended the next song came blasting on and Haylie started sliding across the hardwood floors of her apartment. She would slide back to her clothes and as she did she sang along with the song.
“I want my mullet back.
My ol' Camero, an' my eight-track.
Fuzzy dice hangin' loose an' proud.
ZZ Top, they're playin' loud.
A simple time, that's what I miss.
Your mini-skirt an' your sweet kiss.
Things are changin' man, an' that's a fact.
I want my mullet back.”
She started to dance and moving her feet just like she had seen Billy Ray Cyrus do on ‘Dancing With The Stars’ the night before. She was jamming to the song and just as it ended and the next song came to play she heard the phone ring. She walked over and paused the music. Then took the phone in her hand and looked at the caller id and saw who was calling her. It was her older sister Sara who had moved to Oklahoma City after she got married. Haylie answered the phone.
“Hey Sara” she said.
“Hey Haylie how are you?” asked Sara.
“I’m doing great just packing for my trip to New York City tomorrow. You?” responded Haylie.
“Oh cool. Well everything here is great I just wanted to call and see how my baby sister was doing.” She said. “I’m so happy for you that you finally get to go to New York City. So is Carrie going with you?” Carrie was Haylie’s best friend since like the first grade and now they were both 21 and on their own.
“Yeah actually she’s at her place getting ready. I had breakfast with her and she said she still hadn’t finished packing like me.” They both laughed as the doorbell rang. “Well its great hearing from you but someone’s at the door and I gotta get it. I’ll call you as soon as I land in New York ok.”
“Ok I’d like that,” said Sara. “I love you and be safe.”
“I will,” responded Haylie. “I love you too.” That was the last thing she said to her sister as she hung up the phone and got the door. Standing there was her best friend with 3 suit cases and her big purse with all her junk in it.
“Carrie!!!” Yelled Haylie.
“Haylie!!!!” Yelled Carrie as they hugged each other over the suit cases. “Can you believe it we finally leave this small place and go on vacation in New York City.”
Haylie smiled as she let her best friend in. “I know I can’t believe it. I’m finally gonna see it. We gotta try to find some famous people why we’re there.”
“I know we do,” said Carrie. “I’m glad we got tickets for Regis and Kelly already.”
“Yeah me too,” said Haylie. “I so can’t wait I wonder who’s gonna be on there that day.”
“I don’t know but lets make it a surprise and just make sure we bring our cameras with us,” said Carrie.
“I don’t leave home without it,” joked Haylie as the girls laughed. “Well lets go back to my room and you can help me pack for our two weeks in New York.”
“Ok that sounds fun lets go,” said Carrie.
Off they went to Haylie’s room but before Haylie got in there she went and turned the CD player back on and the girls danced and sang along to every song that come on. Soon their song came on that they just loved and was now Haylie’s ring tone on her cell phone. The girls soon started to sing along and dance with each other as the song began.
“Well, Up in the backwoods, down in the holler
old boy feeling like a dog on a colla
Keep that chain hold tight
waiting on saturday night
Put on the smell good
Put on Skynyrd
Head into town like a nascar winner
cruisin back and forth to the tasty freeze
everywhere you look all you see is

Hillbilly Deluxe, Slick pick up Trucks
Big Timing in a small town
stirring it up right about sundown
Black Denim and Chrome to the bone
With a little homegrown
Country Girl Cuddled Up
Hillbilly deluxe”
They continued until the song sang its last line and then got back to packing as the music continued on. Soon it was 3 p.m. and the girls were getting hungry and wanted to go to Wal-Mart before heading to the airport which was almost 2 hours from where they were. They had gotten all the packing done and had already called and told their parents they were off to New York City and that they’d call when they got there. They packed everything they had with them into the trunk and backseat of Haylie’s mustang convertible. They jumped into the car and Haylie put the top down and turned up the music and Kenny Chesney was on with his song “Beer In Mexico”. They put on there sunglasses and buckled in and then headed off to Wal-Mart. They sang along to every song that came on the radio and didn’t care who looked and stared at them. They were just having the best time in their life. They finally arrive at Wal-Mart and turned off the car and went in. They got the things they thought they would need, like gum and magazines, and then checked out and went back to the car so they could go find a place to eat. They found a local pizza place they always loved going to and so they decided to go there. When they got there they ordered a small cheese pizza with garlic sauce and two Dr. Peppers for the two of them. They ate their food and buy the time they looked at the clock it was already 5:20 and they needed to leave for the airport to be there by 8 to catch their 9:30 flights. As they drove into Oklahoma City they soon lost their radio station and turned on Carrie Underwood. Just as they were taking the first turn after seeing the first sign for the airport a song came on and it made Haylie turn it and both girls start to sing.
“Where 69 meets 40
There's a single stop light town
And back when I was really young
Part of that burned down
On any given Friday nite
We'd drive a hundred miles
Between the Sonic and the grocery store
Laugin' all the while
With as many friends as I could pack
In my Daddy's Ford
But I ain't in Checotah anymore

My hotel in Manhattan
Holds more people than our town
And what I just paid for dinner
Would be a down payment on a house
I'd rather be tippin' cows in Tulsa
Than hailin' cabs here in New York
But I ain't in Checotah anymore
In a world of long red carpets
The bright lights of Hollywood
All the paparazzi flashin'
Can make a girl feel pretty good
You can get anything you want here
Except a Walmart store
But I ain't in Checotah anymore


I'm in a world so wide
It makes me feel small sometimes
I miss the big blue sky
The Oaklohoma kind


Where the Wildcats beat Iron Heads
Old settler's day and the Okra fest
After prom down at the bowlin lanes
Catchin' crape fish in Eufaula Lake
I ain't in Checotah anymore.

I'm in a world so wide,
It makes me feel small sometimes,
I miss the big blue skies,
the Oklahoma kind,
But I ain't in Checotah,
No I ain't in Checotah,
Oh, there's nothing like Oklahoma.

Where 69 meets 40,
There's a single stoplight town.”
As soon as it ended they parked the car and put up the top and turned off the car. Haylie turned to Carrie, “You know this is so true but without livin’ in Manhattan cause we’re just going to visit.” They both laughed and got out of the car and got all their suit cases and purses and laptops they were taking with them and got a cart to put it all on. They walked to the check-in counter and got check-in and headed to the gate so they could be prepared to get on the plane when it was ready for boarding. It soon reached 8 p.m. and the girls were getting more and more excited to get as far as they could from their small town they came from. They only had an hour and a half left until the plane boarded for take off.
Time sure flies by because before the girls knew it they were getting ready to board their first flight out of Oklahoma. They had talked about what they were gonna do as soon as they got there and what was gonna go on that whole two weeks and other stuff. The flight would be a long one for them. They would have a layover in Chicago for about an hour and that’s where they would call their parents and then again once they got to New York City. They talked, slept, read magazines, and listened to their Ipods on the flight. Once they got to the JFK airport in New York City they hailed a cab and took off for the hotel they were staying at. They were staying at one of the nicest places in New York City, one of the Hilton hotels. Both sets of parents were chipping in to pay the cost and to get them the best places to stay. They were considered two of the more wealthy families in Checotah and so they got to stay in the nice places when they went out of town to Oklahoma City all those times. Once they got to the hotel they went and checked-in then when upstairs and looked out the window at the beautiful city then decided to just watch tv and stay in for the night and go to bed and start their two long weeks tomorrow.

The day started at 7:30 a.m. for both the girls as they had just woken up and each taken a shower and gotten ready. As they looked at the clock it said 8:30 a.m. now and they were ready to go get breakfast somewhere in the city. They grabbed their big purses and sunglasses and headed out the door making sure they had their room keys. They got out of the hotel and looked around Haylie who was good with directions had a map in one hand and her purse in the other. While Carrie on the other hand had a restaurant guide in one hand and her purse in the other.
“Hey how about going to this place here Kitchenette its suppose to be one of the best in New York City” said Carrie.
“Sure I’ll try any place once,” replied Haylie. “ Now where’s it located so I can get us over there?”
“80 W Broadway” said Carrie.
“Ok great were not that far from there lets walk there it will do us good.” said Haylie.
“Yeah and we can see some of the sites on the way there,” replied Carrie as they started to walk towards the restaurant.
They got there and ate breakfast and had a great time talking about all the things they were gonna do in Time Square today. They started the day off just walking down Broadway walking. They first place they saw was the Bubba Gump’s sign and right past that was where MTV is and then all the other places there. They decided to go shopping for a few so they started at MTV and bought a few shirts, hats, and a purse each. They soon went to all the stores right there in the center of Time Square including the Toys ‘R’ Us store there where they even rode the 3 stories ferris wheel. They went back to their hotel at 3 p.m. to put there bags in there and then to head out for some more shopping and then were gonna return at 8 or 9 p.m. for the night and would go to sleep. They didn’t want to over do themselves cause they knew they had time. The next morning they were to go to Live With Regis and Kelly. They couldn’t wait they love Kelly and how pretty she was and loved her show when it was on. They had seen every show together and if they ever were gonna miss a show they taped it. They actually taped them all. They soon came home that night after dinner at the McDonald’s down the street. They turned on the tv and fell asleep. The next morning they woke up at 6:30 a.m. cause they had to be at the studio by 8 a.m. so they could get their seats they had tickets for. They got ready and at 7:15 they were already outside the hotel walking to the closest subway to get them to the studio. They grabbed a quick breakfast sandwich on the way from McDonald’s and were gone. They arrived at the studios at 7:55 a.m. just in time for the doors to start opening. They got in and the show started at 9 a.m. like always. Today’s special guest were Jon Heder from the new movie Blades of Glory, Katherine Heigl from Grey’s Anatomy, and Hilary Duff with her latest CD ‘Dignity’. We were excited cause we loved Grey’s Anatomy and we were big fans of Hilary’s and so wanted to see Blades of Glory when it came out. Once the show ended they caught up with Hilary and Katherine and both got their pictures with them and then went off to Central Park. The week flew by and by the end of the week they were already so tired. They wanted to have a day where they just relaxed so they went to a spa and did that. The next day they were gonna go party and go to all the best clubs that New York City had to offer. Soon the vacation was coming to a end and they would have to be leaving in 4 days. They didn’t wanna leave, who does.

3 Days before they would leave for home again was going to be the best days of them all but they didn’t know it yet. They were walking down by TRL when they were stopped and invited in as part of a game to win tickets to the Z100 concert the next day. They had to play a game about how much you trusted your best friend. Well of course Haylie and Carrie can trust each other with their lives. So they get narrowed down to the two best friends left on stage, Haylie and Carrie and Brad and Jim. The last section was about who knew more about their best friend. This was easy Haylie thought.
“So lets get this last section started,” said Vanessa the host of TRL. “Ok lets put the one best friend right here,” pointed to her left for both teams. “And the other two over here,” pointed to her right. “Ok now I’m gonna give you both the questions and you write your answer down and then we’ll reveal it and the team with the most points at the end wins. OK you ready?” they shook their heads. “Ok first question, this is to Brad and Haylie. What is your best friend’s favorite song?” They all wrote down what they thought. “ Ok let me see your answers.”
“Hillbilly Deluxe by Brooks & Dunn” said Haylie.
“lets see what Carrie said,” said Vanessa.
Carrie turned over her answer and it said Hillbilly Deluxe. “Yep that’s what I put,” said Carrie.
“Ok now Brad what did you say?” asked Vanessa.
“I said This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race by Fall Out Boy,” said Brad.
“Jim what did you say,” said Vanessa
“I wrote Numb by Linkin Park and Jay-Z,” said Jim with a disappointing look on his face.
“Ok now we’re 1-0. If the boys get this one wrong and the girls get it right they will automatically get the ticket with the extra bonus stuff. Ok here we go,” said Vanessa. “This ones for Jim and Carrie. Where is the one place in the world your best friend has always wanted to go?” They wrote it down and were ready to show their answers.
“I said New York City,” said Carrie.
“Yep that’s right I’ve always wanted to come here,” replied Haylie.
“I said California,” said Jim.
“Yep he’s right,” replied Brad.
“Ok so now they’ve caught up enough to stay in the game but if they don’t get the next and final one right then they won’t win,” said Vanessa. “Ok this is for Haylie and Brad. What is your best friends favorite movie of all times?”
Haylie thought for a second, oh this is easy. “I put Father of the Bride part 1 and 2.”
Carrie said with a lot of excitement, “Oh my gosh I love those movies those are my all time favorites.”
“Brad and Jim you know you gotta this one right or you will lose,” said Vanessa. “So what did you say Brad.”
“I said Dumb and Dumber,” said Brad.
“Sorry dude you so need to keep up with things I said Wild Hogs that movie was awesome.” said disappointed again.
“Well it looks like Haylie and Carrie won the tickets for tomorrows concerts,” Vanessa said. “Here’s your tickets have fun. And well be right back with your top 2 videos of the day after this.” it went to a commercial as Vanessa showed us off and told up what was gonna come with the tickets. “So you get two tickets to the sound checks that start at 8 a.m. tomorrow and then two to the concert and then two backstage passes. Just follow Adam here and he’ll take you to Jack who well tell you more about the event. Have fun and congratulations on winning.” Then she walked back to set and we followed Adam as he took us to see Jack. Once we got there he was sitting at his desk waiting for us.
“Hi, I’m Jack please sit down and make yourselves comfortable,” said Jack.
“Hi I’m Haylie and this is Carrie,” introduced Haylie.
“Hi and welcome,” said Jack. “ok lets get started here are your two backstage passes don’t lose them and here’s the sound check passes too and you already have your other tickets for the show. Well all you have to do it sign here for the tickets and there yours.” Points to a line for each of us to sign.
We signed and I asked, “Who all are gonna be there this year?”
“Umm from what I hear it’s a pretty big event this year with people like Nick Lachey, Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Backstreet Boys, Jesse McCartney, Hilary Duff, and many others,” answered Jack.
“Ok thanks we’ll be there at 8 for the sound check thanks again for the tickets,” said Carrie. Then we both shacked his hand and walked out of he TRL studios and off to go watch a movie at one of the theaters in New York City just to say they had. They decided on seeing ‘Wild Hogs’ with Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, and William H. Macy. They had been wanting to see it for weeks but with work and all they never got the chance. Hours passed and soon they were back at the hotel taking their showers the night before so they could just get up and get dressed and go.

They had woken up at 6:30 to get ready and to leave so they wouldn’t be late getting to the concert area. They put in a CD they had brought with them cause they knew they had a CD player there, they put in ‘Hillbilly Deluxe’. They didn’t turn it up much just enough to hear it in the bathroom but that was it. They got dressed and got ready to go and by 7 a.m. they were waiting for the subway to arrive so they could go to the concert area. They got there just as it was starting and Jesse McCartney was getting ready. They had fun at the sound check they didn’t get to meet many of the artist cause of how many people were there but they didn’t care they had the backstage passes to meet them with. After the sound check was over they decided before the concert started they’d go backstage and check it out. When they went backstage everyone was everywhere going crazy getting ready for the show. We decided that we’d go find Hilary Duff and see her again. So we walked and asked around until we finally found her and her older sister Haylie in Hilary’s dressing room. I knocked on the door since it was kinda opened not to scare them or anything. “Hi,” Haylie said “I just wanted to stop by and say that I think you were great during the sound check and I can’t wait to see you tonight. Oh and I loved you on Regis and Kelly.”
“Thanks come on in you two,” said Hilary. “This is my sister Haylie, you are?”
“I’m Carrie,” introduced Carrie. “And this is my best friend Haylie.”
“Wow that’s cool you both have the same name,” said Hilary talking about both Haylie’s.
“Yeah I guess we do sis,” said Haylie Duff.
“Well we just wanted to stop by and maybe get a picture with both of you and then we’ll be off,” Haylie said shyly.
“Sure we’d love to take pictures with both of you,” said Hilary. They each took pictures with both Hilary and Haylie Duff. “Do you both have any plans for lunch cause we’re kinda hungry and you two seem really sweet and like a couple of girls we could hang out with.”
“Yeah we kinda were gonna go get food after this,” said Carrie.
“Well why don’t we go get something and come back later,” said Haylie Duff.
Haylie looked over to her best friend Carrie and said, “sure why not it sounds like fun.”
“Great lets go we can take the car they have for us here and we can go to Bobby Flay’s restaurant,” said Hilary.
“Sounds great,” said Carrie. And off they were they had a blast the whole time they were at lunch. They really connected with Hilary and Haylie Duff and so did they with them. They soon had to leave cause it was getting close to time that they had to be back. Hilary got the check and they were off back to the concert area. When they got there they went straight back to the dressing room that Hilary had.
“I had a great time thanks Hilary,” said Haylie.
“Your so welcome and I’m glad you had a great time,” said Hilary. “It was so much fun we so gotta do it again.”
“Yeah we so do,” said Haylie Duff. “Here’s my number if you ever are in New York or California or anywhere near us.” She handed her a piece of paper with the number on it.
“Here’s my number and Haylie’s number too,” said Carrie. “I so hope we can do this again.”
“Next time we buy lunch,” said Haylie.
“Ok deal,” said Hilary.
“Well it was so much fun I can’t wait to see your show and I’ll defiantly call you when we’re in town or your near us,” said Carrie.
“Great I had fun too today,” Hilary said. “I’m looking forward to hearing from you both too. Oh and here is my number too I forgot to give it to you when my sis gave you hers.” Gave her a piece of paper and then they hugged and the girls were off. They couldn’t believe how nice Hilary and Haylie Duff were and that they actually went out to eat with them at a nice restaurant and got their numbers. They walked on down the hall as they left Hilary’s dressing room and saw another one that caught their eyes, Gwen Stefani’s dressing room. They had to stop and just say hi but that was all. Carrie knocked on the door. “Hi sorry if we’re bothering you,” said Carrie.
“No not at all hi,” said Gwen. “Can I help you too?”
“Yes we’d like a picture with you if all possible,” said Haylie.
“Sure I’d love to,” said Gwen. They took their pictures and got an autograph each and then were off.
“Thanks again Gwen can’t wait to see you perform tonight,” said Carrie.
“Bye girls great meeting you have fun,” said Gwen and then the girls were gone. They walked down the hallway more and were talking when all of a sudden out of no where this guy backs into Haylie. She turned around to see who it was but when she did she came face to face with one of the most beautiful set of eyes she’s ever seen and was lost in them. She couldn’t move as she looked into those eyes.
“I’m sorry it was my fault I should have been,” the man said as he got lost in her eyes and couldn’t finish his sentence. They just stood there for a few seconds not saying anything just looking.
Haylie was the first to say something, “Its ok.”
“You have the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen,” said the man.
“Thanks,” Haylie said blushing and smiling at the same time. “So do you.”
“Thanks,” said the man.
“I’m Haylie,” Haylie said as she introduced herself.
“Hey Haylie,” said the man. “ I’m…”