- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I am really trying to step out of my comfort zone with this story. Any feedback is very much appreciated! Oh and in case some of you don't know, I'm from the Netherlands, so English isn't my native language. I'm trying everything I can to make sure the grammar and spelling are accurate, but a few mistakes might have slipped my attention.

“Why again, are we going to some place in the middle of nowhere?”

“Kevin picked the place, remember?”

“Did we even have a say in it? Cause I can’t see to remember I was okay with it.” A.J. smiled.

“Nope, no say whatsoever when Kevin is around. Just like the old days.”

“Shut it, Brian.” I said and then smiled.

That’s all I ever seemed to do. Smile. And so that day was no different. Ever since I heard Kevin was really coming back to join us for the next album, I was as giddy as a four-year-old around Christmas. I was so happy when he told me he was coming back. I mean, I thought our last album, Unbreakable, turned out great as well as the tour and everything. But it just was different, in a kind of sad way. Ofcourse I understood why Kevin took a break from it all, but it was like.. I dunno.. we weren’t complete or something. But back to my story.

Occassionally I glanced at the man behind the wheel and everytime I did, I couldn’t help but think that he looked so happy and at peace. Like he was home or something. Or well, not really home-home, because he was really home when he was with Kristin and Mason. But it is probably obvious what I’m trying to say here. And every few minutes, he looked at me or in the rearview window to smile at us.

In the backseat, A.J. was now complaining about our, or Kevins, choice of transportation.

“I haven’t felt this claustrophobic since we all shared one bus.”

“Oh come on, A.J. They don’t call this car spacious for nothing.”

“Spacious, my ass. Maybe you should shed some pounds, D.” A.J. laughed. “Ouch. No need to punch me, ‘sweet’ D. I swear, if the fans ever saw you like this, you’d lose you nickname in seconds.”

“Yeah right. Just move your ass a few inches. I’m almost on Brian’s lap for God’s sake.”

“I would move if I could. Blame Kevin. Why didn’t we take two cars?!”

“Because it’s bad for the environment.” Everyone except Kevin sing-songed simultaneously.

“Well, yeah. It is! And why using two cars when we can easily fit into one?”

“I kinda agree though, Kev.” Brian said while he tried to move to the right so Howie had a bit more room. “We are crammed here in the back.”

“Really? I’m quite comfy.” I teased while moving my seat up front so that I would no longer feel Brian’s knees in my back. Besides, I still had enough room for my beautiful long legs.

“Thanks Nick.”

“Kev, can’t you move your seat as well?”

“Sorry, no can do. And stop whining you three! At the next gass station we’ll stop for a potty break so you kids can stretch your legs. Not that there is much to stretch.” He laughed.

“Fuck you Kev. Fuck you.”

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the end of that conversation.

After taking that so-called potty break, we talked about our plans for the next album. Which direction we should take, what kind of songs and so on. It was exciting to discuss these things while being in the same room, well, car. I mean, we aren’t exactly neighbours, so most of our plans are discussed by e-mail or conference calls. But this time, we could actually talk things through while hearing each others voices and seeing the facial expressions that went with them.

We all agreed on one thing. The new album should be all about harmonies. More ‘If I ever’-style, but with a modern touch. All of us, including Kevin, love ‘This is us’ and it has done well across the globe, but we decided we don’t want to make records like our previous ones, because they did well. If you’ve heard ‘This is us’ you’re probably scratching your head, thinking it is filled with harmonies. Well, yeah it is. But for the new album, we agreed on more harmonies, more real instruments and less computerized music. Except for maybe one or two tracks so everyone can dance their socks off.

Three hours later, Brian was asleep, as well as A.J. Howie and myself were just staring out of the front window and Kevin was still driving ofcourse. I had just asked Kevin if we were almost there, and he said it would take about another half an hour. I was feeling quite tired by then, so I rested my head against the window in attempt to doze off and take a power nap.

The view was both beautiful and boring, since we were driving through a forest and all I saw was one tree after another, with trees behind them and behind those even more trees.

“Those are a lot of trees.”

“Well, yeah, that’s what you usually see in a forest.” Howie laughed.

“Shut up, D.” I replied, only then realizing I had said that previous comment out loud.

And then, right before I closed my eyes, I thought I saw something on a rock beside the road.

“D. did you see that?!”

“Did I see what?”

“Never mind.” I replied, figuring I must have imagined it. And even if I hadn’t, Howie would no longer be able to see it. So I blamed it on being tired and closed my eyes. “Wake me when we get there.”

“Maybe.”

I laughed at Howies reply. Seriously, the guy is much more witty and funny than everyone gives him credit for. He’s not just ‘that sweet Latino guy’, he can be a real ass at times. Really. I know you don’t want to believe me, but it’s true.

About an hour later, Kevin waked me. I hadn’t seen pictures of the cabin we’d be staying for a month or so and I was expecting the absolute worst. I mean, I’m all for protecting the environment, but not having warm water or having to pee outside is just too much for me.

And even though Kevin had said it would be a comfortable cabin, none of us were going to take his word for it. So when I got out and turned around to look at the place, I was seriously surprised. On the outside it looked really, really nice.

It was obviously a wooden cabin, but it was big. Two stories. Well taken care of, like Kevin put it. He also reminded us that we wouldn’t have to share rooms.

“Yeah, baby!” A.J. yelled.

“Yeah, now you can invite all the lady squirrels over for a big orgy!” I said as I looped an arm around his shoulder.

‘No, now you and your snoring won’t keep me up every single fucking night.”

“And we don’t have to hear yours either, Jay.” Brian stated with a big grin on his face as he walked up the stairs to claim a room and unpack.

“Fuck you, Rok.” A.J. smiled as he too grabbed his bags and followed him.

Soon, we were all up in our rooms. I was just sitting on my bed, enjoying the moment of hearing the others walk around and unpack their stuff. Just like in the old days, but still a lot different.

I got up and walked towards the window on my left, the one that gave a direct view into the forest. We definitely were in the middle of nowhere. And you know what, I liked it. Right then and there, I decided to enjoy every single second of our stay in the woods.