- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello! So, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted the last update, but it sucked! So, after reading a few more stories on AC and thinking of how I want this story to fold out, I think I'll try again.
I hope this time, my 'Nick'-voice is a whole lot better and you'll like the update. Please review!
After the bombshell Kevin dropped, I freaked out so bad I let my phone slip. This time I wasn't lucky, since it landed on a rock and cracked the screen, which made the whole thing useless.

I got so frustrated with my own clumsiness that I kicked the nearest rock and of course, it hurt like hell, so I grabbed my foot and hopped around on the other, meanwhile cursing away. The one positive thing was that I forgot about my headache for a moment.

I know, dropping my phone was the stupidest thing I could've done, but hey, can you blame me? The guy just told me I'd been missing for over 48 hours and I had no clue what happened during that time!

A lot can happen in forty-eight hours, you know. People get married within that time and regret it. Just ask Britney, for example. Or maybe not, it might bring out the mean in her.

Not knowing what happened to me scared me shitless. I knew Kevin would have a million questions and me having zero answers wouldn't go over too well, even though none of it was my fault, or was it?

As I was trying to remember something, anything about the hours passed, I raked my hand through my hair, only to find myself wincing with pain as I touched my head wound AGAIN!

And some people wonder why the guys call me a dumb ass.

It made me realize something though. Maybe my head wasn't the only thing that got injured. Slowly, I moved my toes and breathed a sigh of relief when that no longer hurt. I checked the rest of my body and other than being dirty and discovering some scrapes and bruises, I seemed to be okay.

I found myself growing more anxious as time passed. I couldn't understand how it was possible to just ' lose' two whole days. I mean, doesn’t that shit normally happen to people who’ve been in a coma or something?

After I took a few slow deep breaths in an effort to regain my calm (which didn't really work, by the way), I figured it'd be best to take a closer look at my surroundings, just to make sure it was safe enough for me to wait there 'til the guys arrived.

And so I got up, trying not to give in to the dizziness as it hit me at full force, making it hard to keep my balance. So I staggered around a bit, probably looking like a fucking drunk. Yet I was sober and thirsty as hell. I didn’t dare drinking the water in front of me, knowing Kevin would be bringing some. And besides, I didn’t want to risk getting a stomach flu or something.

As my vision steadied a bit instead of being blurred like a few moments earlier, I realized there and then that my injury was probably worse than I thought.

When the sick feeling in my stomach subsided, I figured I'd slowly do a 360 degrees turn and look for anything suspicious.

In any other scenario, I would have said the view before my eyes was beautiful.

Obviously there were a ton of trees, their leaves all different colours, from dark green to a radiant red. A thick carpet of leaves at the bottom of them, only a few of them carried away by the wind, softly landing on the water where they continued their journey. I couldn’t see what their destination would be, since trees blocked my view of the water as it turned a corner.

On my side of the water, a huge collection of rocks hugged the shore while others rested on the grass I was standing on. Now that I actually paid attention, it looked to be a clearing or something. There were trees, about fifteen feet away from me, but I was out there in an open field. Small, but still. I was an easy target, for whatever was out there.

"Not good," I muttered.

I know I promised Kevin to stay put, but I wasn't going to stay out there and be a sitting duck for who- or whatever growled at me before.

I figured hiding behind some trees was the way to go, so slowly but surely I made my way over there.

When I felt I was safe, I carefully leaned back on to a big old tree and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I looked at my watch. Only ten minutes had passed since I talked to Kevin and I was already about to lose my mind, not knowing how to cope with it all.

By that time I was about to give into the anxiety, my legs trembling as the knot in my stomach tightened and a sob escaped my lips.

"Get a grip, Carter." I reprimanded myself as I balled my hands into fists. "They're coming to get you, quit being such a cry baby.”

It actually helped somewhat, but right after the last word left my lips; I heard the sound of something stepping on fallen branches, causing them to break under the person’s weight.

My first thought was that it had to be Kevin and mister Gable, but if it was them, why weren;t they yelling my name? I mean, that would make sense, wouldn’t it? I know if it was me, I’d be bellow at the top of my lungs, hoping to get a response from whoever was lost. My second thought, was a smarter one. Mister Gable said it would take them about an hour to come get me. Knowing Kevin, he’d probably urge him to hurry, but still, we talked about twenty mintues ago. So, the chance it was them, was slim to none.

Whoever this was, tried to make as little sound as possible, because I barely heard a sound.
I could hear whatever it was, was getting closer and my intuition was telling me, this wasn't something to be thrilled about.

A shiver went down my spine and I got goosebumps all over as the sounds increased.

I shook my head, knowing what I had to do, make a run for it. I mean, I sure as hell wasn't going to wait and see what it was, because I didn't want to disappear for another 48 hours or worse!

And so I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and ran, only to trip over the first root sticking out of the ground. I fell to the earth with a big thud and hit my head on another one.

A soft laughter grew closer and closer as I struggled to stay conscious, feeling that was one fight I wasn't about to win.

“Kevin..’ was the last thing I managed to whisper before I fell into unconsciousness.