- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews so far. You guys are wonderful!
Chapter 3


The popping of a cork rang more like a gunshot in Mac’s head as she strode off the elevator nursing a hot cup of coffee. It was too early for a celebration after such a long night but she stopped, smiled and sarcastically curtseyed anyway, as the entire office congratulated her on cracking the Blakeley case. “Another one bites the dust, huh Mac?”

“Come on guys,” Mac laughed as she accepted a glass of champagne from one of her fellow agents, nearly blushing from all the praise. “I was just doing my job.”

“And doing it a hell of a lot better than any of us,” Agent Jake Reed laughed as he slumped an arm around the office star. “You’re making us all look bad.”

Agent Reed was the closest thing Mac had to a partner. The headstrong woman could be a bit of a hot head at times and usually preferred to work alone, but she had a small soft spot for the man she’d been partnered with in basic training. They’d remained close friends over the years and Jake was just about the only person in the office that truly understood Mac, which was why, after the round of congratulatory handshakes, he escorted her into her office and locked the door behind him. “Here,” he smiled dropping a copy of the morning’s USA Today onto Mac’s desk, “You’re gonna love this.”

Mac fell into her chair and blowing her bangs out of her face with a huff, she pulled the paper across the desk. She rolled her eyes as she read the headline crediting one of the FBI’s top agents for bringing down Los Angeles’s biggest crime boss. She wrinkled her nose at the picture of herself escorting the criminal into the precinct. “Is that really what I look like?”

“What overworked, stressed and a little bit grumpy?” Jake smirked, “Usually.”

While Mac feigned insult, Jake came around the desk and flipped open the paper to page five. “I know you’ve never liked to see yourself in the papers, I meant you were gonna love this.”

Mac’s eyes grew wide as she scanned the article. “LA’s resident superhero visits the bay area?” She read with wonder.

“There were three different sightings of your masked man last night.” Jake explained having already read the article.

“Are you sure it’s the same guy and not a copycat?”

Agent Reed shrugged, “Same costume, same M.O. and two of the three victims commented on his charming smile and gorgeous blue eyes. The third witness was a guy and I believe his quote was closer to, ‘The dude kicked ass.’”

Mac rolled her eyes. All the accounts she’d read of encounters with the Avenging Angel were very similar. Not the least bit helpful, and all of them were star struck. “Yup, that’s him alright, but why San Francisco? Why would he suddenly leave LA?”

Jake smiled down at Mac and flipped back to the picture on the front page with a smirk. “Maybe he realized that this city is already in good hands.”

“Come on Jake, this is serious.” Mac said starting to become annoyed. “These whackos always have routines. Why would he suddenly break pattern?”

“Maybe he’s not a whacko.”

“Or maybe he is. Maybe he’s starting to lose it altogether. If he’s changing cities, maybe he’s changing other things. Maybe he’s decided he’s to start hurting people.” Mac pointed back to the article, passion growing inside her, “It says one man was treated for a mild concussion.”

“The witness said the guy came at him with a led pipe. It was self defense.”

“So will it be self defense when this whacko suddenly decides to start killing these criminals instead of tying them up and leaving them for the cops?”

Mac’s face was now flushed with anger and Jake set his hand atop of her trembling one. “Mackenzie.” He said calmly, “Don’t let this guy get to you. You’re one of the best agents the FBI has, if it bothers you so much, then go after the guy. If anyone can find him, you can.”

“Riley already said no.”

“You know Riley is tied down by bureaucracy, but the guy practically worships you. You can look into it without stepping on anybody’s toes, he’s not going to stop you. With the Blakeley case closed you’re going to have some free time on your hands, maybe it’s time for a vacation.”

Mac stared curiously at Jake, pondering the possibility. Jake knew that look in Mac’s eyes when he saw it and he smiled. “Boy do I feel sorry for this guy now,” he snickered, “No matter how much ass the dude kicks.”


***

“Dude, you look like you just got your ass kicked.” AJ laughed when Brian finally made an appearance before sound check.

“I had a long night.” Brian confessed as he made his way to the coffee station.

“Partied hard in Rice-A-Roni Town did ya? How come you didn’t invite me?”

AJ and Brian both turned around and gave Nick strange looks. “What?”

“Rice-A-Roni town?” Brian questioned.

“You know,” Nick said looking hurt, “The San Francisco treat?”

“You’re such a dork.” AJ laughed.

“You’re getting sleep right?” Howie asked pulling the conversation back to Brian’s tired appearance.

“I’m fine.” Brian said with a convincing smile, “Just pre concert jitters.”

“Well look alive!” Nick said suddenly feeling more than ready to get on with the show, “This is our first performance!” Nick threw his arm around the shorter man and pulled him close as he obnoxiously sung a familiar tune, “Backstreet’s back alright!”

Brian cracked a smile as he watched the excited young man skip off to the stage. The visual brought back memories of happier times. Times when Brian was every bit as anxious to get out in front of the crowd, times when it was him who seemed to sing his way through life.

Brian walked over to the side of the stage and peeked out at the crowd that was just starting to fill the first few rows for the sound check party. He wanted those times back but he didn’t believe it was possible. His heart was in a different place now. The smiling faces in the crowd had once been enough to make him feel like his life had purpose but now he felt he had a different purpose, one that was worlds away from the spotlight.

A hand slapping him on the back suddenly startled Brian and he glanced to his side to see AJ sizing up the crowd. “Just wait ‘till you get out there and hear them screaming your name.” AJ laughed, “It’ll come back to ya man, you’ll see.”

Brian glanced out at the see of women in their mid twenty’s and smirked, “If I recall, it’s not my name they scream.”

AJ smiled at a girl holding a large poster professing her love for him. “I can’t help being the sexy one.” He teased, “But look at it on the bright side, no one will notice when you biff it like you have in rehearsals all month because they’ll all be looking at me.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy.”

“Don’t mention it.” AJ said with a wink and then stepped out onto the stage causing a roar of excitement to erupt.

In the end the concert went extremely well that night. The album was awesome, the energy was high and the guys were just as glad to be back as the fans were to have them back. Brian’s voice still faltered every now and then and his choreography was never completely in sync with the others but overall he got by and the show was better for having him there.

Brian felt that old hint of adrenaline as they took their final bow and for a few minutes it was all smiles in the locker room. His mood didn’t sink until the first mention of a press conference after the show. “Quick and relatively painless.” His manager promised, but Brian knew better, dealing with the media was never “quick and painless”.

Once the guys were all showered and dressed, they made their way into a small room where a handful of reporters were waiting to get the inside scoop. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what they were all really there to talk about and Brian was actually surprised when they managed to discuss something else first. “So, Backstreet’s Back again.” One reporter said, snickering to himself as if he had invented the tired joke. “Are you worried that your comeback won’t be a successful one?”

“It’s not a comeback if you were never gone.” Nick answered, trying not to let the sly jab make his temper flair.

“Unbreakable has done extremely well on the charts since it’s release.” Howie added, “And if we were worried at all, I think the response to tonight’s show was evidence enough that our fans are still around and ready to support us.”

“It’s like we always say,” AJ jumped in, “The Backstreet Boys have the greatest fans in the world. We’ve taken a couple of long breaks between albums in the past, but our fans are always patient and I think taking the time when we need it is what has kept us together all these years.”

“Well I’d say this time you definitely needed it.” Another journalist said, forcing his way into the conversation and turning his attention to Brian, “I noticed a couple of setbacks, but I have to admit I was surprised to see you keeping up so with the others only nine months after being shot. Has it been difficult?”

And there it was. All of the guys stiffened at the topic. They all knew it would most likely come up, but were hoping they would get lucky. Nick placed a hand on Brian’s shoulder and lowered his voice as he sent an icy glare to the man who had asked the question. “You don’t have to answer that.”

“It’s ok Nick.” Brian said making no attempt to whisper, “I can understand their curiosity.”

AJ and Howie both joined Nick in looking concerned, but Brian looked at them with determination and then addressed the reporter. “Yes.” He said, “It has been extremely difficult for me. Physically I have made a full recovery. I could probably even beat Nicky in a wrestling match, AJ for sure.”

“Thanks a lot buddy.” AJ pouted.

The group of reporters giggled at the playful banter but it died down immediately when they noticed Brian’s eyes glossing over. “But losing someone to a random act of violence is something you never get over.” He continued, fighting to keep his voice steady, “It’s a nightmare.” Brian’s glossy eyes turned to tears spilling down his cheeks and he looked to the three men standing beside him. “You have to find a way to keep going and that’s what these guys are doing for me. I don’t know what I’d do without them. Leighanne wouldn’t want me to give up and I don’t intend to.”

With that, Brian’s tears vanished and the hate that motivated his heart turned his feelings of sorrow into sheer determination. “That man took my wife but he won’t get me. I’m stronger that that, and I’m going to prove it. Backstreet is back,” he said nodding his head, “And we really are unbreakable.”