- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry if the updates come a little slower this month. I'm going to be busy with an original fic for the National Novel Month and Sarah is going to be busy finishing Proving Them Wrong for it as well!!!!!! YAY SARAH!!!! Anyway, we're going to try and keep the updates coming, but if its slow, that's why, and we'll be back with full force in December!!! Wish us luck and thanks for all the reviews! We love you all!
Chapter 5

Brian sat atop the roof of the Belliagio wishing desperately that he could just swoop down into the glorious fountains that make up one of the Vegas Strip’s many trademarks. He pulled his mask over his head and literally wrung the sweat from it. The silky material he’d chosen for his crusade felt great against his skin, but didn’t exactly breathe like Egyptian cotton and the Nevada summer heat wasn’t exactly helping. “Superman never sweat this much.” He mused aloud. “I wonder what he uses.”

Brian sat a moment to catch his breath. After the day he’d just had he’d gained a new appreciation for the nickname Sin City. Normally the Avenging Angel strictly stayed in the shadows that were provided so generously by the moonlight, after putting his son to bed. That’s exactly how this day started as well, but thanks to his newest purchase off the black market, a handheld police scanner, Brian was kept on his toes well into the afternoon.

He could tell by the position of the sun that the afternoon was growing old. He’d already missed a rehearsal this morning, which he knew he was going to get busted for, but it was worth it. While his friends were going over a routine they’d done a thousand times over, fourteen scumbags were now behind bars thanks to him, a record for the Avenging Angel. Seven lives were saved. Four shop owners were spared a lot of grief. An elderly couple still owned their old Buick and one little girl still had the bike she got for her birthday last year.

Brian smiled as he thought of that last one; that had been his favorite. The little girl’s life may not have been in jeopardy, but she still wrapped her arms around his neck so tightly he had to pry her off of him. She told him she liked him better than Santa Clause but that she liked red better than blue and suggest he change colors. After explaining that he wouldn’t want people to confuse him with Jolly old Saint Nick, the little girl agreed blue was better and kissed his cheek before promising not to leave the house without her parents permission anymore.

Brian could still feel that little girl’s gratitude in his heart and took pride in the fact that now there was at least one seventeen-year-old kid that would think twice the next time his friends dared him to do something stupid.

Brian was pulled from his thoughts by the static of the radio attached to his belt. He knew that if he didn’t hurry he was likely to miss sound check, they’d kill him for that, and yet as the police scanner buzzed to life again, he had a very hard time turning it off. It used to be that on a concert day his mind could focus on nothing else, and now the concert was the furthest thing from his mind.

With a sigh, Brian switched the police scanner off and walked to the edge of the building.
Donning his mask one more time he looked over the edge and began counting balconies. When he’d located the one he knew to be his, he looked down at the electronic grappling hook on his belt, his favorite accessory, and sent it soaring. After giving the rope a hard tug and finding it secure, the Avenging Angel stepped up on the ledge overlooking the city. He looked at the many stories below him with a large grin, this job may be exhausting, but it did have its perks. Then, just as if he’d only ever been a mirage, he leapt from the rooftop and was gone; leaving behind only a soft breeze and the sound of a cape flapping against it.

***

Agent Reed quietly let himself through the front door of Mac’s home, wanting to surprise her with the good news in person. The house was in pristine order as always, but the flagrant sound of contemporary pop coming from the living room surprised Jake and he followed the noise curiously.

A smile spread widely across his face at the sight of Mac sprawled out on the only clear floor space amongst an endless see of papers, wearing a pair of sweats so baggy she nearly disappeared in the material. She was lying on her stomach propped up on her elbows studying the back of a CD case and long strands of hair fell from the bun she had rigged on top of her head with a couple of pencils, and her head bopped energetically to the beat.

This was a side of agent Adams Jake had never seen before, a girly side, and as he stood their admiring it, Mac lifted her eyes over the frame of her glasses to look up at him. “Jake!” She said surprised and a little self-conscious to see him standing there. “What are you doing here?”

“How much do you love me?” He replied, grinning from ear to ear as he held his hands behind his back.

“That depends.” Mac teased as she pulled herself to a sitting position. “Did you bring me some good take-out? I’m starving.”

“Better.” Jake said pulling a folder from behind his back.

Mac frowned as she took it from him. “A child care service?”

“One of the Backstreet Boys needs a nanny and he goes through this agency. I signed you up this morning.”

“That’s perfect!” Mac exclaimed as she began eagerly pouring through the agency brochure.

“Oh.” Jake continued as he pulled a white paper bag from behind his back, “I also brought some great take-out.”

Mac’s eyes brightened as Jake dangled the bag in front of her. “My hero!”

Jake laughed as Mac snatched the food from him and he in turn stole the CD cover from her fingers, immediately frowning at the four pretty boys on the cover. “Doing a little research are we?” he teased.

“Admit it, they’re kind of catchy.”

Jake listened for a moment and then smirked. “Let’s just say that I’m glad you decided to take on this case on your own before the Captain assigned it to me.”

Mac rolled her eyes as she handed Jake one of the small cardboard boxes and a pair of chopsticks. “Well then you’ll have a great time when you come visit me on tour.”

“You’ve got to get the job first. I can get you the interview, but I hear this Brian guy is really picky when it comes to his kid.”

“Baylee.”

“Right, Baylee.” Jake said eying Mac suspiciously.

“I was reading the cover.” Mac said quickly as a hint of redness crept into her cheeks. “You know, for research.”

Jake studied his colleague for a moment and then opened the folder he’d brought for Mac. “There’s a profile of the guy in here.” He said getting back to business, “Should help you figure out how to get on his good side, but I’m afraid the trickiest part is going to be convincing him that you love kids.”

“I do love kids!”

“At a girl Mac. Keep that up and the job’s yours for sure.”

Mac scoffed and she actually put down her chopsticks as she pouted. “Just because I don’t have any of my own doesn’t mean I don’t like them.”

“Come on Mac,” Jake laughed, “You, with kids?”

“I wouldn’t mind.”

“Really? How come I never see you out trying to start up a family.”

Mac laughed and then went back to eating her lunch. “Kids I can handle.” She laughed, “It’s the having to have a dad for them I’m not sure I could tolerate.”

“Well,” Jake said, impressed at this new information about her, “Then this job should be a fun one for a change.”

Mac ate the rest of her lunch with a smile as she listened to the beautiful harmony still pumping through her stereo. Though she’d never admit just how exciting the idea of touring with the Backstreet Boys really was, Jake was right, this could be a very fun job.

***

Exhaustion was finally starting to take over the man who’d spent his night on the streets, no matter how much Red Bull he consumed, and his eyes drifted shut as his manager lectured him in the dressing room after the performance. “Brian!”

The newest member of the Boy’s management team was nervous to have to be the one to bring it up, but the Boys had been on tour long enough now that the simple mistakes Brian kept making on stage should have been long since smoothed out. “The only reason we scheduled that rehearsal this morning was for your benefit, you know that right?”

“I’m sorry David.” Brian said as he rubbed his heavy eyelids.

“I hate to say this Brian, but I’m sorry is just not good enough. You’ve got to step it up. You’re three seconds behind the other guys all the time. It’s like your heart’s just not in it or something and you know you guys have been out of the spotlight too long for you to be giving half-rate performances.”

“Can’t you see the guy looks like shit?” Nick snapped, coming to Brian’s defense. “He’s obviously not feeling well.”

Howie and AJ had been listening to the conversation with equal interest, but neither was quite ready to but in the way Nick did. They were concerned for their band mate every bit as much as Nick, but the truth is David was right. They’d all been thinking it but said nothing, not wanting to make Brian upset. They couldn’t imagine how hard it must be for the guy and they were glad to have him back, but he didn’t seem to be bouncing back quite the way everyone had expected and it was hurting them all.

Nick didn’t see it that way though. He and Brian had been so close once that he was naturally more protective than anyone else and he didn’t care what they looked like as long as Brian was with them. The change in Brian since his return frightened Nick more than anyone and he was afraid any discouragement would only drive him away.

“It’s alright Nick.” Brian said with a yawn that quickly spread to AJ as well. “I’m just not getting much sleep these days.”

Brian’s comment gave Howie an easy in to a conversation he’d wanted to have for some time now. He quickly joined the three men, giving Brian a look of concern. “Is there anything we can do to help?” He asked, “If you need it, we can schedule more time between shows.”

David turned pale at the suggestion and opened his mouth to object, but Howie gave him a look that silenced him before he could protest. “Maybe we could get you some medication or something.” Howie continued a little more cautiously, “Or we could bring a doctor on tour with us?”

Brian was a little surprised by the suggestion and barely managed a poker face with his reply. “A doctor? You mean a psychiatrist? You think I need therapy?”

There was a tiny hint of aggression in Brian’s tone that drained Howie’s confidence and forced him to stumble over his words as he backtracked. “Well no, I just thought that maybe it might help. You’re just not quite yourself lately and I just want to do anything I can is all.”

“We’re worried about you man.” AJ added finally joining the conversation.

Brian looked at the men staring at him nervously as if they were waiting for him to explode and when he realized they were doing for him, what he once helped do for AJ he fell into a chair with a heavy sigh. “I appreciate what you guys are trying to do.” He said, “But trust me, I’m ok. I just forgot how tiring touring is. But don’t worry, I promise I’ll get some sleep, and no more missed rehearsals. In fact, no more extra rehearsals at all, I can pick up the slack.”

No one seemed very convinced so Brian flashed them a killer smile that only the Avenging Angel himself could pull off and he chuckled as he sang out with all the energy he had left in his body. “Brian’s back, alright!”

David still wasn’t quite convinced and Howie Nick and AJ all tried to stick to their guns, but they melted at the sight of the grin that made Brian famous and instantly they were all smiles again. “You’d better be.” AJ laughed as he nudged Brian lightly in the side. “We don’t want to look like Britany Spears at the Grammy’s.”

The guys burst out into laughter again until David broke up the party. “I’m glad you’re feeling better Brian,” he said responsibly, “But I’d feel better if you promise to spend these next two days off getting some rest.”

“I’d love to.” Brian joked, “But I can’t. I’ve got to catch the next flight to LA.”

“Why?” Nick gasped, “I thought we were gonna hang here together tomorrow.”

“As much as I would hate to let you drag me to a strip club and some craps tables, I’m afraid it’s not an excuse, I really do have to go.”

“Ok fine, no strip clubs and only blackjack.” Nick pouted. “Please! You know you would have fun.”

“Sorry man, Lisa’s going back to school, I have to find a new nanny for Baylee.”

Brian laughed when Nick’s eyes grew really wide. “We’re losing Lisa?”

“I’m losing Lisa Nick, not you.”

David pulled out his cell phone and was dialing 411 before he even asked the question. “Do you want me to call an agency and just have them send someone out?”

“Without meeting them first? Are you kidding? Do you know what kind of psychos try to do child care?” Brian shook his head in true bewilderment, “That’s ok. I’ll just sleep on the plane.”

Nick was still pouting over the idea of losing Baylee’s cute nanny until he sparked an idea. “Can I come?” he asked with excitement.

“You want to come help me interview nannies?” Brian asked dryly.

“Hey, Baylee’s like a nephew to me. I feel like I should at least be able to have a say in this.”

Brian knew how much Nick loved Baylee, but he wasn’t fooled for a second by the protective uncle act. “And what would be your criteria for choosing the person that I will be entrusting my son’s life to?”

Nick knew he would never be allowed to tag along anyway so he simply couldn’t resist, hoping that Brian might at least subconsciously remember some of his suggestions. “Well,” He began with a smirk, “SHE, has to be at least five – seven this time. Lisa’s cute and all, but come on? I’m six-one. You gotta work with me a little bit here.”

“That’s nice.” Brian laughed.

“Oh, and let’s change it up this time and go with some dark hair. Ooh, or maybe a red head. Oh! And would it be too much to ask for a gymnast?”

Brian shook his head and cast a look to Howie and AJ, but they weren’t much help. “I like that gymnast idea.” AJ chuckled.

“I’ve heard enough.” Brian laughed as he grabbed his coat. “I’ll see you fellas in a couple days.”

The guys all called out goodbyes and began collecting their things but stopped when Brian reappeared in the doorway with a worried look on his face. “I don’t really look like Britany out there do I?”