- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi readers.  I'm really sorry about my lack of updates.  My life has been kinda crazy lately.  I'm not sure when my next update will be.  But hopefully it will be sooner than later.  I hope none of you lost interest in my absence.  And lastly, Thanks to Tri for my new Banner.

“You will be spending 48 hours in jail, 2 weeks in an inpatient rehab center, and at least 90 days of AA meetings.  You're license is suspended for 18 months, only allowing driving to work and to AA meetings.  You are also sentenced to 100 hours of community service in the county morgue and a fine of $1,500."  The judge slammed down his gavel and Nick was immediately handcuffed and led off. 

Roxie bit her lip as she watched her boyfriend be led off to prison.  "How am I going to explain this to Ariel?"  She asked herself as she walked out of the courtroom. 

When she arrived home, she still hadn't figured out what to say to the young girl regarding the whereabouts of her father.  She decided to wing it and walked into the house.  She paid the babysitter and sat Ariel on the couch.  "Roxie, where's Daddy?"

"Well, Ariel.  Daddy has to spend 2 days in jail.  Do you know what jail is?"

"It's where bad people go.  Does that mean Daddy is bad?" Ariel asked and her eyes turned a little scared.

"Daddy's not bad.  He just made a bad decision and got into trouble."  Roxie reassured Ariel and let Ariel pick out a movie to try and keep things as normal as possible for the young girl while her father wouldn't be there.

That night, Roxie was getting Ariel ready for bed when the phone rang.  "Hello?"

"Hi Roxie." Roxie’s heart expanded in her chest as she heard Nick’s voice on the other end of the phone.

"Hi Nick."

"I don't have much time.  Can I talk to Ariel please?"

"Sure."  Roxie held the phone out to Ariel.  "It's Daddy."

Ariel took the phone.  "Daddy!" Ariel squealed excitedly into the phone.

"Hi Baby.  Did Roxie tell you why I can't be home right now?"

"She said you were in jail.  Why are you with bad people?"

"I made a bad decision.  That's all you need to know.  Anyway, I wanted you to know that I won't be able to call you tomorrow, but I'll be home soon.  I also wanted to say goodnight."

"Goodnight daddy."

"I love you Ariel."

"I love you too Daddy.  Do you want to talk to Roxie?"

"I can't.  My time is up.  Can you tell Roxie that I love her?"

"I will Daddy.  Bye."  Ariel hung up and placed the cordless phone on her bed.  "Daddy said he loves you."

"Alright you.  Get into bed."

"I don't want to." 

"The sooner you get into bed, the closer it will be until Daddy gets home."  Ariel agreed and climbed into bed.  Roxie kissed her forehead and left the room.  She had no idea how she was going to get Ariel into bed when Nick had to leave for his two weeks in rehab.

Two days later, Roxie hired another babysitter and went to pick Nick up.  She had to wait a few minutes before she saw him making his way out to her.  As he got closer, she realized that he had a few cuts on his face and a cast on his arm.  Soon, he stood in front of her and she threw her arms protectively around him. She reached up and gently touched the bruised area around his eye.  "God Nicky.  What happened?"

"Apparently I was able to piss off my cellmate by just being there."

"Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"No.  I was already there."  Nick got into the car. 

"Ariel can't wait to see you."

"I don't know if that's such a good thing.”

"What?  Why not Nick?"

"Because I have to leave for rehab for two weeks in the morning."

"It's only two weeks Nick."

"That's a long time in the world of a four year old." Nick said and put his head down. He was growing more and more disappointed in himself for his actions and the repercussions his daughter was suffering.

"She'll be fine Nick."

"I know she’ll be fine.  And I know I'm leaving her in good hands.  It's just …  I wish I didn't have to leave again tomorrow, you know? It’s just so soon."

"Do you have to leave tomorrow?"

"Yes.  The rehab center is expecting me tomorrow afternoon.  I won't even get a full day to spend with my daughter."

"Well, the sooner you go, the sooner you can come home."

"I know." Nick said again and turned his attention to something outside of the car and continued to stare out the window until they arrived home.

 

~*~

 

The next morning Nick ate breakfast with Roxie and Ariel.  He was quiet, knowing that his time with them was almost up.  After breakfast, he went upstairs and carried his suitcase downstairs and placed it by the front door.

"Daddy, where are you going?"

He turned to his daughter.  "I'm not going anywhere just yet."

"Then where are you going later?"

"I have to go away for two weeks." Nick said and got down on one knee so he was eye level with Ariel.

"Is two weeks a long time?" Ariel asked as she put her hands on Nick’s shoulders. Nick pulled her into a close hug and spoke into her ear.

"It might feel like a long time.  But you'll have fun with Roxie and time will go by really fast and you won't even know I'm gone." Nick kissed the side of Ariel’s head and pulled away.

"Can I come with you?"

"No, I'm afraid not." Nick said and stood straight up and began to walk into the kitchen.

"Why not?"

"Because it's not a place where a little girl should be.  And also, it's something I need to do on my own."

"Will you call me?"

"As often as I can."

"Can I call you?"

"I'm not sure if that's possible, but we'll see okay."

"Okay Daddy.  I'm going to miss you."  She said and moving closer to Nick and hugging him.

"I'm going to miss you too.  But you know what?  I still have a little more than an hour left.  That's just enough time to watch The Little Mermaid."

Ariel looked up at him and gasped excitedly and ran to get her movie.  Nick put the movie on and lied on the couch, pulling Ariel close to him for the duration of the movie.

The movie ended and Nick reluctantly called for a cab.  Minutes later, a horn sounded to alert Nick that the cab had arrived.  He hugged Ariel and kissed Roxie before picking up his suitcase and leaving the house.  He walked down his driveway and got into the cab, telling the driver the address of the rehab facility.  He looked up at his house and saw that Roxie and Ariel had come outside.  Ariel was hugging Roxie's legs.  It was obvious that Ariel was crying.  Nick blinked and felt his own tears fall out of his eyes.

 

~*~

 

Nick arrived at the rehab center and was checked into his room.  His roommate was in there and that made Nick even more nervous.  He was hoping that he wouldn't have a roommate after his experience with his cellmate in prison.

Soon Nick was left alone in the room with his new roommate.  Nick wasn't sure why, but he had a feeling that his roommate was going to be a problem. 

"I'm Mark." The other man said and stuck out his hand. Nick accepted it and then let go.

"Nick."

Mark heard the apprehension in Nick's voice.  "Oh don't worry Nick.  This place is so easy.  I know all the places to get exactly what we need.”  He pulled out a stash of drugs and alcohol from under his bed.

"That's not what I want."

Mark scoffed.  "You're here by court order right?"

"Yeah.  How did you know?"

            "Everyone here is here by court order.  None of us actually want rehabilitation."

"I've already ruined my life with that shit.  Why would I want it now?"

"You mean to tell me that you actually want help."

"I've already been sober.  And it's a hell of a lot better than being strung out."

"You wouldn't be here unless you relapsed, meaning you couldn't live without being strung out."

Nick decided the best way to get through the two weeks with his room mate was to completely ignore his room mate.  He waited for Mark to be gone before picking up the phone and calling home.

"Hello?"

"Hey Roxie."

"Nicky.  How's it going there?"

"It's going to be a long two weeks.   That's for sure."

"Awww, why do you say that?"

"My room mate has a stash in the room.  Apparently no one here actually wants rehabilitation."

"Well, just think Nick.  You'll be out long before them."

Without Nick knowing, Mark entered the room.  "Yeah I know.  How's Ariel?"

"Completely miserable."

"I saw her crying when I left."

"She's still crying."

"Still?"

 

"Yeah, I can't get her to calm down.  Even the Little Mermaid isn't working."

"Where is she?"

"She's currently attached to Missy."

Nick laughed to himself, envisioning his daughter smothering his puppy.  "See if you can pry my daughter off the dog long enough to talk to me please?"  Minutes later he heard his daughter's small voice on the other end.  "Hi Honey."

"I miss you Daddy." 

"I miss you too.  But I won't be gone long.  Just two weeks."

"I want you to do something for me."

"What?"

"I don't want you to be sad."  He looked up and saw Mark standing in the doorway.  "I have to go Ariel.  Have fun with Roxie and Missy."

"Okay Daddy.  I love you."

"I love you too."  He hung up the phone as Mark sat down on his bed.

"That's just sick."

"Excuse me?"

"Madly in love, with a child and a dog.  And let me guess, you probably have another one on the way too right?  The perfect fucking existence."

Nick looked at Mark.  "You're jealous."

"Yeah right."

"No, you are. Why else would you take the time to make a smart ass comment like that?"

"What's there to be jealous of?"

"You tell me?  You're the one that's jealous."

"I'm not jealous.  I find it sickening that you have a wife and kid."

"I don't need to justify my life to you.  So, it will be better for both of us if we just pretend the other one didn't exist."  Nick smiled to himself when he realized that he didn't feel the need to correct Mark when he said that Roxie was his wife.  He couldn't believe that he was thinking about marrying Roxie when they've only been a couple for 4 months.  He knew without Roxie, he'd probably be dead by now.  He had put her through so much and yet she still stood by him.  He couldn't imagine going through what he just went through without Roxie and now he couldn't imagine the rest of his life without Roxie in it.  He smiled to himself as he made a decision that would affect the rest of his life as well as the lives of Ariel and Roxie.