- Text Size +
Terrified. It was the only word to describe the tension that laced her best friend's voice during the usual phone call that occured every Friday evening. Of course, this conversation had been anything but ordinary. To think that Stacia's home had been ransacked. Personal items stolen. Not items that a typical burgler would take. But intimate items, such as her favorite clothing and photographs. Even now, chills ran through her body as she searched the Malibu mansion for any signs of her long-term boyfriend. He had ventured to the recording studio with his band-mates early that morning to produce their upcoming album, but promised he would return soon. They would be going out to dinner per usual. But now she had important news to share.

"Holly? You home?"

"Alex? Oh thank God," Holly breathed, turning around to see him come up from the basement where he kept his personal recording studio. She dropped her purse onto the plush carpet and rushed over to him. "Something just... Staci... it was horrible!"

"What happened, Baby? Is she okay? What's wrong?" Embracing his lover of three years, AJ McLean stumbled slightly at the force in which her body propelled into him. He could feel the tremble of her body and attempted to soothe her as best he could. She had done the same for him during his darkest days.

"Some bastard broke into her house! I told her she shouldn't live in the center of Philadelphia. All those perverts and freaks lurking in those dark places. She's damn lucky she wasn't home when he decided to--"

"Is she okay?" AJ repeated softly, wanting to know just the immediate details first. Since he started dating Holly, AJ had grown quite attached to her best friend, who phoned frequently and tried to visit every summer. She was a beautiful creature with a loveable personality. If she was hurt, he was certain that some of his band-mates would insist on flying to Philadelphia. Immediately.

"She's okay. He was gone by the time she got home. He... he stole pictures, intimate clothing... God, he even stole her favorite perfume! I have never heard her that scared before. Never," Holly buried her face into the crook of his neck. The warm scent of cologne slightly eased her nerves. "I wish she lived here in Malibu. At least it would be safer!"

"Just be thankful that she didn't get hurt," AJ commented softly, gently rubbing her back in a smooth circular motion. He was relieved that Stacia hadn't been hurt, because Brian would have never forgiven him if he had been the bearer of bad news. "You know Staci better than any of us, Baby. She wouldn't move to Malibu even if she found a man hiding in her bed with her panties tied around his head--"

"That's not funny, Alex."

"I'm sorry..."

"I hate being so far away from her when something like this happens," Holly sniffled softly as she stayed in her boyfriend's embrace. She just wanted to protect the younger woman, and it was impossible when she was thousands of miles away. "She lives in such a shitty part of town! With her salary and job experience, she could move out here and get a better job--"

"She's an Adrenaline Junkie who craves the chaos of an Emergency Room," AJ reminded her while carefully guiding her toward the kitchen. Their passel of dogs barked noisily from the glass doors leading to their backyard, but he went to work making a strong pot of coffee.

"Which is why I'm having her apply to all the Emergency Rooms out here when she visits," Holly answered with a steely determination, her cold steel blue eyes shimmering with pained tears. "She was so frightened... She's taking a few weeks off work to get away. She wants to come visit. Can she stay, Alex? Please?"

"Baby, you don't even have to ask. Our home is her home; you know that," AJ chided softly, kissing her cheek as she sat down at the island while he scooped a few spoonfuls of her favorite coffee into the machine. He hated seeing two of the three most important women in his life be so upset.

"I told her to start looking for a flight immediately. She had a police escort back to her apartment so she could get what little of her things that weren't destroyed," Holly explained softly, fiddling with the hem of her denim skirt. She could still hear the tremor of nervousness creep through Stacia's voice, though she had tried to laugh at the insanity of it all. "Honestly... What kind of man would do such a thing?"

"I don't know. I wish I had an answer," AJ sighed heavily, pulling out their designated cups as the coffee began to brew. "Unfortunately, there are just some sick people out there who do horrible things."

"But why Staci? She couldn't hurt a fly!"

"Has she had any type of relationship lately? Maybe someone who had started to creep her out and she ended it?"

"Stace hasn't dated anyone since Brian and Leighanne's wedding..."

"No one at all?" AJ questioned as he poured the strong liquid into the cups and added the proper amount of sugar for Holly, which meant about half of the container. Though, he wasn't surprised to hear that Stacia hadn't been dating since the wedding. There was something between Stacia and Brian that everyone could see - except for Brian.

"She said she had to establish her career before she could even think about getting involved with anyone. Then there was the excuse that no man was interested. And, as pretty as she is, I can't imagine a single man not being interested in her..."

"Or a married man for that matter."

"I still can't believe he didn't realize what was going on between them before getting married to... Leighanne," Holly took the cup from AJ's hand and slowly sipped the hot coffee, feeling her nerves calm down significantly.

"I don't know how many times the guys and I sat down with him," AJ answered honestly, seating himself across from Holly. Taking her free hand, his thumb gently caressed her fingers. "Hell, Kev told him he was making the biggest mistake of his life before walking down the alter."

"He's just so blind... and I'm scared he's not going to see the truth until it's too late," Holly shook her head, sighing. "And with Baylee... I see Leighanne interact with him -- well, lack thereof, I should say, and it's like she doesn't even care. Bri has to do everything."

"Unless Staci's visiting."

"Oh, that kid loves her to death," Holly actually laughed softly, thinking back on previous times Stacia came to California for vacation and spent a lot of it with Baylee.

"I'm convinced that boy would have been smuggled onto the airplane if Brian hadn't noticed how much heavier her duffle bag had gotten between our house and the airport," AJ mused, relieved to see the beautiful smile grace his love's face.

"It was a pretty good try. I still remember the look on his face when he unzipped the bag," Holly shook her head, still chuckling as she sipped her coffee. "Maybe her visit here will cause him to realize he needs her."

"Sweetheart, he's still married to Leighanne, no matter how shitty the marriage is..." AJ trailed carefully, noticing Holly's shoulders round with disappointment. "Baby, c'mon, just because Brian can't marry her doesn't mean we can't get her to stay in Malibu. Give her a call back and have her charge a flight to my credit card. The earliest possible. No matter what the cost, okay?"

"Really?"

"Of course. I want her here just as fast as you do--"

"You just like the fact that she walks around in her underwear--"

"What man wouldn't?!" AJ teased, leaning over to plant a quick kiss to Holly's brow. "But I still love you endlessly, Baby."

"Yeah, you better," Holly narrowed her blue-gray eyes for a moment before standing up, stretching her lithe body as she grabbed the kitchen phone. She dialed Stacia's number from memory.

"Tell her that between me, D, Bri, and Nick, she's got four part-time body guards. Fuck, with Kev deciding to step out of the limelight, she's got one full-time body guard too," AJ suggested, grinning sweetly toward his lover when she moved into the living room, leaving him to ponder about the type of man who would harrass such a lovely young woman. And knowing that he would never wish the man to cross his path. If he knew what was good for him.

~*~*~*~*~

Do you have any idea about who might have wanted to do this to you?
No...
Any disgruntled patients from the Emergency Room?
Everyone in the Emergency Room is disgruntled.
Are you in an abusive relationship?
God no.
Have you had any recent affairs?
...Not recent affairs...
Miss Lord, if you can't take this seriously--

Squeezing her dark emerald eyes closed, Stacia Lord willed her memories to dissipate into the darkness settling in the skies. She could still hear the distrusting tone of the police officer's voice as he bombarded her with obscene and offensive questions. As if he blamed her for the distruction of her household. It wasn't as if she had placed her key into the pervert's hand. Scowling at the mere thought, she startled when a rumble shook the airplane. She could only recall the chill of Philadelphia's autumn winds pelting through her thin surgical blue scrubs while a police officer towered over her. The apartment had been under search when he took her aside. So cold and calculating.

"That's why women need to take over and make all the men meter maids," Stacia muttered to herself, rubbing a hand over her weary face as she leaned back into her seat. She felt a knee go into her back from the passenger behind her, but she had other matters to worry about. Or pretend not to worry about.

Her imagination had always been colorful ever since her childhood. She could dream up entire worlds to sneak into when reality turned frightening. But not even her imagination could help her escape the devastation of the past week. Everything she had built for herself had been crushed in a few hours time. First the terrible walk home after a long evening shift at the Emergency Department. Her car hadn't started, so she thought it'd be nothing to simply take the streets. That is till an unknown assailant nabbed her into a cold dark alley. It had been quick. Too quick. She couldn't even fight him off before her clothing had been shredded to tatters and a knife pressed tightly to her throat. She had encountered many rape victims through the Emergency Department, but never expected to become one herself...

She had gone home and scrubbed at her skin until it was beefy red and tender. She threw away the tattered clothes and undergarments. The thought to call the police... it wouldn't have made a difference. It was dark, she couldn't see his face and it was her own foolish thought to walk home alone on the dark Philadelphia streets.

So many times she had urged the battered women sitting upon the overly starched sheets of the hospital gurneries that they must contact the police. Yet she had done the exact opposite, hiding the humiliation deep in the darkest recesses of her heart. She had spoken to her doctor to get a simple check up and STD screening. Thankfully nothing had been detected. Anti-anxiety medication and sleeping medication had been prescribed because of her job. And now her apartment had been torn to pieces. It was no coincedence. She was sure of it. That's why she needed a vacation.

Stacia sighed, grasping her can of Pepsi and taking a long drink.Going to Malibu seemed to be the only choice for getting away from what happened to her. No one would be able to find her there.

She had saved enough money to extend her vacation till she felt safe. Living with Holly and AJ seemed doable, though she worried about over-staying her welcome. If so, she could rent another apartment. She had moved on a daily basis throughout the years, especially during her childhood. Each year she would find herself in a new location. She had learned early to become a chameleon and adapt to her surroundings. Finding Holly in Minnesota had been a miracle. Best friends for life, no matter how much of a distance had passed between them. When she had made her weekly phone call to Holly, she almost didn't mention what had happened to her apartment. However, the older woman had noticed a change in her voice and soon Stacia was giving all the details about the break-in. Within an hour, she was on the next flight to Malibu and away from the terror that had enveloped her.

It was typical of Holly and AJ to come to her rescue. They had done so for the past three years, assuming the role of her parents, and she made sure to tease them incessantly about the transition. To have someone who actually cared for her. Instead of being alone in the middle of a chaotic city. And when the plane landed smoothly on the runway, she knew she would be safe. For a few weeks, anyhow. Within ten minutes, she had her large ADIDAS duffel bag over her shoulder and was walking down the jetway towards the passenger lounge.

Stacia wasn't entirely sure if she would see her friends in the passenger lounge. Not because they refused to pick her up, but because of AJ's celebrity status. Many years as a member of the popular band, Backstreet Boys, had circulated AJ into a state of fan-frenzy whenever he appeared. Women loved him. So, playing with the strap of her duffle bag, she tossed her long ponytail of honey blonde curls over her shoulder and stiffened her posture to peer over the heads of the crowds. What a difference it was to travel from east coast to west coast.

"Stacia!" A voice almost boomed over the noise of other passengers. Stacia jumped, looking around to finally land her eyes on a tall, muscular man with dark chocolate skin and she smiled.

"Marcus!"

"Your plane was actually on time. It's a first," Marcus chuckled, wasting no time in drawing Stacia through the crowds. His beefy arms enveloped her in a hearty hug and she squealed in surprise when she was crushed against his chest. He only laughed harder and slipped the duffle bag from her shoulder. "Where's the rest of your stuff? J and Holly are waiting in the private lounge for you."

"That's all the stuff I have, Marcus..." Stacia trailed uncomfortably, not wanting to admit that the rest of her items had been completely destroyed. Sure, she had insurance, but the memories were lost. "...Did only Alex and Holly come?"

"They thought it would be easier with just the two of them, but the rest of the guys are at their house," Marcus gave a sympathetic smie, rubbing her back. "I heard about what happened to your place. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she promised with a carefree smile. "Hell, I had everything insured, so that just means I raked in a bunch of cash, right?"

"Yeah," Marcus chuckled, tucking her close to his side as they wove their way through the crowds until they finally reached the lounge.

"...Is Brian at the house?" Stacia immediately questioned before allowing him to open the door to the lounge. She wanted to be prepared on the ride home. Even Marcus knew about the relationship that had brewed between the two before Brian had crushed her heart. And, though she had always remained friendly with Brian, she had to force herself initially to forget the pain.

"After having a huge fight with Leigh about it... yeah. He had to bring Bayster, she refused to watch him," Marcus frowned, remembering the look on Brian's face when he came to the house.

"So they didn't miraculously get a divorce?" Stacia sighed.

"You and the rest of the world is wishing that--"

"You'd think I'd get a life and realize that the man isn't interested in me. Even if he did kiss me like the world was ending--"

"Staci-Raci, he is interested in you. Hell, I'm a guy and even I could see that. Brian is just... well..."

"Married."

"Yeah... but--"

"I'd swear the man was a virgin if it wasn't for Baylee," Stacia decided, opening the door to the lounge and watching AJ immediately spring from his seat. He clutched a bouquet of white roses to welcome her home and she couldn't help but smile. She felt so torn inside, even as he wrapped her into a powerfully protective embrace, vowing to kill any bastard that thought he could attempt another stunt like that. And, she couldn't help the tears that fell from her eyes.

"It's okay, Staci. You're safe with us," AJ whispered, keeping her close as she trembled softly in his arms.

"I'm sleeping in the middle of you two tonight, okay?" Stacia sniffled, burying her face against his chest.

"We wouldn't have it any other way," AJ smiled sadly, running his fingers through her curls.

"Only for the next two months, Daddy," Stacia promised with a small laugh, pressing a quick kiss of thanks to his lips.

"Yeah, we'll see," AJ chuckled, giving her another quick hug. "It's great to see you, Sweetheart."

"Likewise," Stacia agreed, allowing him to sweep her into another quick squeeze. He had always been affectionate with her. So much so that Stacia loved to tease Holly about stealing him into a secret affair, though it would be impossible to do so. Never the less, she knew not to tease when she saw the worried expression wearing into Holly's beautiful features. And when AJ suggested he and Marcus collect the rest of her things, she cleared her throat uncertainly. "I don't have any more... It was all... Hell, I needed new stuff, right?"

"Oh Staci..." AJ gave an apologetic smile as he pressed a kiss to her temple.

"At least I took insurance out on everything--"

"Such a smart girl," AJ cooed affectionately. "That means we get to go shopping, right? You, me, Holly?"

"Sounds like fun. As long as you two promise not to slip one of your credit cards into my hands," Stacia warned.

"Damn... she caught onto our plan, Babe. We'll have to try something else," AJ teased with a smile.

"She's damn lucky that I don't tie her up in our basement and keep her as a permanent pet," Holly sniffled, reaching out to collect her friend into a overwhelmingly powerful hug. She hadn't been able to sleep since the phone call, fearing the worst. She just wanted Stacia close by. Safe.

"A mere pet? But I thought I was a playmate for--"

"Stacia."

"What?"

"Just let me have my moment."

"What moment would that be? The one where you sob uncontrollably? Or crush me to death?"

"How about I do both?"

"Holly, I'm fine--"

"Yeah, since you're here with me! Staci, Philadelphia is dangerous, not to mention your neighborhood--"

"It's close to the Emergency Room---"

"For obvious reasons!"

"Jesus Christ have mercy--"

"Okay! How about we head back to the house? The guys are anxious to see you," AJ interrupted the two women as Marcus picked up the lone duffel bag.

"Sounds great," Stacia agreed, taking AJ's arm when he gestured that they hurry along. Holly looked as if she would chastise her lover for being so pushy, but said nothing while taking his other arm. Marcus made sure to stay in front, guiding them toward the awaiting escalade. It had seemed like centuries since she had seen everyone. One in particular.

"This conversation isn't over, Stacia Grace," Holly warned when AJ helped her inside the vehicle.

"I know. It never is," Stacia sighed, climbing carefully into the vehicle to avoid flaring up the usual pains in her healing body. The attack had been quite rough and bruises remained.

"Holls, give her a break," AJ scorned softly as the van wove through the dark streets. "She's had a rough night."

Holly offered a dark scowl and furiously ran her fingers through her short blonde locks, spiking them. "If she would have moved to Malibu years ago, maybe this wouldn't have happened."

"I already know it's all my fault, Holly," Stacia groaned, pressing her forehead to the cool window and squeezing her eyes shut. She could feel the rush of another migraine accompanying the familiar panic. She needed her medication.

"She's not saying it's your fault--"

"Alex--"

"Look, we've all had a long night, but this is Staci-Raci's vacation. How about we enjoy her company instead of arguing?" Marcus spoke up, rather softly for being the large man he is.

The three fell into an awkward silence while Marcus continued to drive. Stacia wasn't sure what to say really. It seemed as the months spread apart that she was growing farther apart from her loved ones. She just wasn't the same anymore. Especially now. Yet, she forced civility while pulling away from the window. "How is everyone?"

"They're good. Kev is busy playing Daddy to Mason, but he's still around a lot of the time. Nick is... well... Nick... Howie just got engaged. Brian's..."

"Miserable," Holly added.

"Baylee didn't manage to overcome his terrible two's?" Stacia teased with a small smile, recalling several horrifying phone calls with a panicked Brian describing some catastrophe of an event that had injured his son.

"Oh, Bayler's been as good as gold lately. It's Leighanne who's been giving him Hell--"

"Holly..."

"It's true!"

"It's really not our business--"

"When he comes over three times a week with the kid because she kicked him out, I think it is our business!"

"She didn't kick him out--"

"Oh yeah, he had to leave to escape the shit she was throwing at him and smashing into the walls--"

"...Why are they fighting so much?" Stacia interupted carefully, arching her light honey brows with question. "I thought they were madly in love?"

"That's what Brian made himself think. Leighanne is just a witch and she's showing her true colors."

"Yeah..." Stacia trailed vaguely, looking to the scenery once more. She had never been one to criticize Brian's marriage, even if she had been in love with him. Once. Or at least, she fooled herself to believe that she had only loved him once. A long, long time ago before her heart had been crushed. When she had the youthful indescretion of youth and suggested that she and him elope.

AJ saw the look on Stacia's face and he sighed, glancing at his girlfriend with a weary look.

"What'd I do?"

"You mentioned Brian, Sweetheart," AJ groaned against the side of her head before pressing a quick kiss.

"But I thought--"

"She loves him."

"And she's going to be seeing a lot more of him. She'll have to get used to it."

"Yeah, but maybe you need to take a little bit more of a tactful approach."

"Are you saying I'm blunt?"

"As my mother's ass."

"You can be so gross--"

"I love you too, Babe."

"We're here," Marcus announced as Holly rolled her eyes and AJ gave her another kiss.

"Thank God," Stacia breathed with relief, not even bothering to wait for the car to lurch to a stop. Instead, she jumped out carelessly and marched for the front door, wondering if this would truly be a relaxing vacation.