- Text Size +
"I'm like his personal Barbie, you know that right?" Stacia mused to her best friend, glancing up from the rack of shirts to see AJ dashing off across the store in search of more clothing. The man had made sure to clear out time to take Stacia and Holly shopping. Since Holly was just looking to add to her collection of clothing in a walk-in closet, the couple settled on loading Stacia's arms with items. She had not a stitch of clothing left since the destruction of her apartment. And she wasn't used to the attention either. A whole day for her. It seemed wrong.

"Yeah, I know. Just let him have his fun and enjoy the clothes," Holly laughed, kissing Stacia's cheek as she pulled out a ripped black tanktop with a hot pink one underneath.

"We'll see how comfortable you are with it when he insists on coming into the dressing room to help put on the clothing too," Stacia teased, wrinkling her nose at all the layers of pinks in the current rack of clothing. Moving toward the next, she found a more causual style of comfortable clothing. Blues, greens, oranges, purples. She enjoyed those colors more.

"We'll see... Are you ever going to try on something with pink in it?" Holly shook her head with a smirk.

"I haven't been dressed in pink since I was old enough to pick out my own clothes," Stacia reminded, flipping through a variety of jeans. She needed everything.

"Some pinks aren't that bad... like hot pink and black together--"

"It's still pink."

"But it's a funky pink--"

"Again, Holly Ann, it's still pink."

"You're never going to change your mind, are you?"

"Never," Stacia promised, selecting a few pairs of low rising hip huggers. They were faded and ripped. Her mother would have been furious that she was buying already destroyed jeans. But they were the most comfortable.

"I thought so," Holly teased, pulling a pair of jeans off the rack she knew Stacia would love. Dark indigo with embriodered fairies and flowers. "What about these?"

"Nice," Stacia approved, allowing the saleswoman to sweep in and confiscate all the items she had plucked from the racks. The women were so much more accomadating when a celebrity was within their vicinity.

"Soon you'll have more clothes than I do!"

"I highly doubt that--"

"You're right... Alex has the most--"

"I heard that!" the man hollered from across the store, his arms bundled within a high stack of various clothing.

"And it's the truth!" Holly laughed with a roll of her eyes.

"Well then we're just going to have to buy Staci a shitload of clothes so she beats me," AJ grunted, handing over his own stack of clothing to the next saleswoman.

"So competitive," she clicked her tongue.

"It's in my nature," AJ chuckled, leaning over to smack a playful kiss to his lover's cheek. "It's the business I grew up in. I can't help that."

"How is the business, Alex? The new album? I heard it's supposed to be quite fantastic, even though Kevin decided to become a family man," Stacia asked, peering over AJ's shoulder and plucking a pair of colorful board shorts from the rack he was examining.

"It's been great. Going back to the recording studios with the fellas... Kev's even helped record and produce some of the songs. The response from the fans was better than we hoped," AJ replied, grabbing a pair of flip-flops and hat to match the shorts she had grabbed.

"And I'm sure that Hollywood's career is sky-rocketing now that you boys are back again," Stacia deduced, looking toward her best friend who she affectionately coined 'Hollywood' since moving to California. After all, it had been the Backstreet Boy's initial success that had put Holly at the top of her career. Who had ever thought a simple press junket could do so much in a person's life.

"My blog gets over two thousand hits a day... not to mention the magazine when they release a new issue," Holly smiled proudly. Writing was what she loved, and it made her happy.

"You two deserve all the success in the world," Stacia praised with a soft smile, allowing AJ to pull her toward the bikini display. Since he had his own swimming pool and lived on the beach, she needed a variety of swimsuits. One for every day of the week, or so AJ insisted. Though, with her heeling bruises, she wasn't sure if she should really be looking yet. But he insisted with his infectious personality.

"I know," AJ teased, kissing her cheek as Holly followed.

"He means thank you," Holly replied, gently pulling on one of Stacia's pigtails with a smile.

"I've learned his language quite well," Stacia reminded with a small smile, taking the bikinis each person had selected for her. "I've been with you guys for... A long time..."

"I know. And I wouldn't have it any other way," Holly wrapped an arm around Stacia's shoulder and slobbered a kiss on her cheek.

"Honestly, you two are impossible," Stacia groaned when AJ decided to slobber the opposite cheek with his own affections. Squirming wildly, she managed to break free from their embraces and hurried into the dressing room. "Amuse yourselves while I get naked!"

"Hey, I get amused watching you get naked--"

"Y'know, someone could take real offense to that!"

"Yeah, like me!" Holly growled.

"I can't help it that your best friend is fucking sex on wheels!" AJ yelped when a fist landed into his shoulder. Reeling backward, he held his hands up in defense. "Baby, just because I love looking at her doesn't mean I'd sleep with her!"

"Yeah, I ain't that great in bed," Stacia muttered from behind the door of the dressing room, overhearing the entire conversation. Meanwhile, she had dressed in one of the bikinis and overlooked her body. The bruises and scratches were slowly starting to fade. But not enough. Looking at her reflection just disgusted her.

"You're grounded to the couch," Holly threatened, turning towards the dressing room. "Stace, you got a bikini on yet?"

"You'll get horny as Hell and come looking for me on the couch," AJ grumbled, glancing over his shoulder to see a few girls squealing and huddled in a mass. Narrowing his dark eyes, he had to grin with amusement when he noticed Brian slinking into the store. He glanced around at the clothing, brushing his fingers over a few fabrics, and looked to AJ. He tried to affect a look of surprise, but Brian was far too obvious. "What are you doing here, B?"

"Just looking around," Brian shrugged, adjusting his UK hat to cover his blond locks that always gave him away.

"Need some more clothes?" AJ guessed, watching Brian tug out a pair of overly faded denium jeans with large holes torn into the knees. He knew the man would never step into such a pair of jeans and had to smother a laugh when Brian laid them over his arm.

"Yeah... Cuz has Scooper for the day, so I thought I would spoil myself... for once--"

"I've never seen you buy clothes here before," AJ murmured, looking over his shoulder to see Holly's stormy eyes widen with surprise at the site of Brian selecting an unusual style of clothing. The man was more comfortable in regular jeans and t-shirts. Sports logos and whatnot. He was no rocker. Nothing like AJ. "Branching out, huh? Want to be like your best friend AJ! You're just so sweet, B!"

"Don't flatter yourself," Brian grumbled, reaching out and taking a variety of clothing though he hadn't bothered to appraise its style. He just needed to look like he was actually shopping for himself. Though, he had really just wanted to see Stacia. He had overheard them discussing their plans for shopping. He had hoped... Just maybe...

"You came just in time," AJ decided with a hearty chuckle, watching Holly talk softly through the dressing room door.

"What do you mean?"

"I may be a dumbass sometimes, but I'm not stupid," AJ raised his eyebrow towards the older man and watched his cheeks redden.

"I did come out to buy myself some new clothes," Brian argued, though not well.

"If you're going to use that story, at least pick out your style--"

"Okay, I'm coming out! Heaven have mercy you drive me nuts, Holly Ann!" Stacia growled, unknowingly interupting the men's argument. She stepped out of the dressing room and allowed herself a brief runway walk as if Holly were a pushy designer. Pausing at the end of her imaginary runway, her emerald eyes widened in surprise at seeing Brian. Immediatey a rosy blush grew on her cheeks and she crossed her arms protectively over her chest. She was wearing a purple camoflaged halter style bikini top that tied at her neck and back with a matching pair of black boy-cut bikini bottoms. She had toned quite well over the years and her breasts rose and fell with each quick breath. Perky.

"Uh... did I forget to mention Brian stopped in?" AJ tried with a sheepish smile as he watched Brian's jaw drop in surprise.

"Both of you forgot to mention that," Stacia mumbled.

"It was a surprise!" AJ exclaimed, glancing to see Brian's eyes eagerly roving Stacia's delectable form. It was as if he hadn't seen a woman in years. "He came to shop for himself. He didn't even know we'd be in here."

"Really?" Stacia questioned skeptically, looking to the clothing in Brian's arms. "Does he want to be AJ Jr.?"

"Is there anything wrong with my style, Ms. Lord?"

"Not at all, I love your style," Stacia purred softly. "But Brian Boo-Boo Bear just don't fly as a rocker, Sweetheart."

"Especially those ripped jeans," Holly shook her head, stifling a chuckle.

"Would you three stop busting my ass?" Brian grunted, forcing his eyes away from the delicious curves of Stacia's form.

"It's just such a cute ass, Brian," Stacia cooed, leaning up to press a soft kiss to his cheek, though her lips landed upon the corner of his mouth. "Do you like the bikini?"

"I like it a lot... purple's definitely your color," Brian's cheeks seemed to become a deeper red when he felt her lips so close to his.

"Especially matches these bruises of yours," Holly murmured, glancing over the exposed skin of her best friend's body. She had noticed the somewhat deep cut across the front of Stacia's throat in the morning, but had said nothing about it. Yet, bruises around her thighs, arms, neck...

"ER drunks are rough," Stacia explained with a casual shrug of her shoulders, allowing Brian to twirl her in a circle to give a quick look at the suit.

"How did the drunks bruise your thighs?"

"Sometimes they came in kicking and screaming. I got in the way--"

"Thank God you weren't a dude," AJ murmured with a hard shudder.

"You're telling me," Stacia forced her laugh, feeling Brian's hand tighten on hers.

"Stace--"

"They're just bruises, Hollywood. Bruises fade."

"What about the cut on your throat?"

"Those cute ER Residents love it rough!"

"Stacia Grace--"

"Hey, how about you try on the other bikini's for us, Staci-Babe? I'm dying to see the one I picked out for you!" AJ interrupted with a smirk.

"I'll be right back," Stacia promised, leaning up to kiss AJ's cheek before moving back into the dressing room.

"Tell me you don't believe her about those bruises," Holly seethed, glaring toward the two men who had grown quiet. Nothing made sense about the location of the bruises, much less the cut on her throat. Something had happened in Philadelphia. Something more than the apartment being broken into.

"Attacking her like that isn't going to make her admit something else happened, Holls. Can't we just let her have fun and try on some clothes before you make her break down?"

"I just hate that she's covering up something."

"When she's ready to talk about it, she'll talk about it."

Frowning sharply, Holly turned to Brian, hoping that he would take her side. "Would you tell my boyfriend that--"

"I'm worried about her too. But, trying to force her into talking might just backfire on us and where would we be?"

"But where are we now?"

"Hol, we can't make her talk--"

"But--"

"She's been through a lot these past couple of weeks, Sweetheart. Let her adjust to Malibu again and then we'll see what happens. Please?" AJ pleaded, running his fingers under her chin.

"I just can't stand knowing that something horrible happened to her and she won't tell me anything about it. I mean... It's so frustrating to know that she doesn't trust me enough to tell me. I'd take care of her. I always have when no one else would. But she's been on her own for so long, even when she was a kid..."

"I don't think it's about trust... maybe she's afraid to talk about it. Or maybe she's in denial that something happened."

"Well, it's no surprise that another man hurt her. That's all they seem to do for her anymore," Holly huffed, giving a stern look to Brian.

"Holls, please don't start."

"But if he would have just--"

"I'm definitely digging this Pirates of the Carribean bikini," Stacia announced while stepping out of the dressing room. The black bikini that AJ had selected had a triangular cups with string ties. The left breast cup had a rhinestone decal of a skull and cross bones. The black bottoms were also string tied at her hips.

"I thought you would. That's why I picked it out," AJ grinned, surprised that drool wasn't dripping off Brian's bottom lip.

"Anything that reminds me of Jack Sparrow does my body good," Stacia purred seductively, dipping down with a saucy sway of her hips.

"Mine, too," Holly chuckled. It was like Stacia to act like a goofball and make everyone laugh.

"She even makes me dress up like him in the bedroom," AJ sighed with a pained expression, though he looked to Brian with a smart smirk. "What do you think, B?"

"It looks great," Brian enthused, playing with the string that was tied around Stacia's elegant neck.

"You can stand hanging out around the pool with me in this?" Stacia asked, stepping close to him when he pulled her close.

"I think I could manage," Brian assured, giving her a quick squeeze.

"Good," Stacia whispered against the side of his face, grinning when she picked out a pair of grunge jeans from his arms. "I want to see you in these."

"You what?"

"I want you to try these on."

"But--"

"Brian, you picked them out. Now try them on," Stacia insisted, pulling the other clothes from his arms to hand to Holly. Then, she guided him toward the dressing room that she was using. Grinning wickedly toward Holly and AJ, she shut the door behind her. "C'mon! Let's go!"

"Stacia Grace!" Holly exclaimed, laughing with wide eyes.

"What?!" Stacia groaned, noticing Brian's mortified expression as he froze within the center of the large dressing room. "He's got boxers on!" She then pouted toward the man. "Don't you need my help?"

"You always were the spontaneous one, weren't you?"

"Never have done the same thing twice," she confirmed, taking a seat on the bench and grabbing the belt of his jeans to tug him between her legs. "Try them on for me. I'm guessing you'll look hot as Hell."

"You think so?" Brian chuckled.

"I know so," she insisted, undoing the buckle of his belt and sliding it from his jeans. She had always hoped to undress him, though it would have been under more sexually tense circumstances.

"Are you sure the guys won't say I'm just trying to be like A--"

"Nick wears the same kind of jeans," Stacia argued, putting the belt at her side and reaching for the button of his jeans. "I've been dying to get you in a pair of these jeans."

"You're making it very hard to say no... you realize that, right?" Brian held back a groan as her fingers grazed the zipper.

"Of course I do," Stacia laughed, easing the jeans down his hips, aware of the man's panting. He was trying his best to control his delight, but she couldn't resist toying with him. It was what she did best.

"You drive me crazy," Brian grunted as he kicked off his jeans and Stacia held up the faded pair to try on.

"I've got to try to give you what your wife can't," she murmured softly, aware of the bumps against the door. She knew AJ and Holly were straining to hear the conversation, probably pressed tightly against the door for any sounds.

"Stacia," he whispered, running his fingers through her curls.

"Was that the wrong thing to say?" Stacia asked, looking up at him from her seated position.

"No, not at all. I just missed you so much--"

"I missed you too."

"I never meant to hurt you."

"You didn't hurt me when you kissed me..." Stacia replied, looking down to her hands though he continued to stand between her legs. "You hurt me when you walked back to her."

"I know... and the last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt--"

"You say that all the time..."

"And I mean it," Brian cupped her chin and made her look into his eyes. "If I could take back the moment I walked away, I would."

"You wouldn't have taken back the kiss?" Stacia questioned with surprise, biting down hard on her bottom lip. She felt his fingers gingerly brush her face and her heart throbbed with wanting.

"Staci-Gracie, kissing you was the best decision I made," Brian smiled. He always thought she looked adorable biting her bottom lip.

"But... It still doesn't change anything does it?"

"Can you give me some time to think things over?"

"Brian--"

"Think about things. Not fantasize."

Offering a rueful grin, she leaned back against the bench and rubbed her face. "What's the difference?"

"Thinking about things is a step forward?"

"I just don't think things are ever going to change between us, no matter how hard I try to seduce you," Stacia murmured with full honestly, collecting her clothing from the opposite side. Sliding out of the bikini, she hurriedly dressed, not caring if Brian saw her. "You always told me that you'd never divorce Leighanne. You'd never leave her no matter what happened."

"Things change--"

"Like what?"

"Things that I would want to talk about in private... and not in a dressing room with Holly and AJ eavesdropping."

"Oh, fucking c'mon, we're going to hear about it anyway," AJ groaned from outside the dressing room.

"Alex, shh!" Holly smacked his arm.

"OUCH!"

"Are we really going to talk about it?" Stacia asked, handing over the jeans that she still wanted him to try.

"Yes. I promise," he took the jeans and slipped them onto his tapered waist.

When he settled the jeans at the appropriate place on his waist, she reached out to button and zip the fly for him. She then leaned back and studied the particular style upon him. He had always been rugged in her mind. A good ol' southern boy. The faded and ripped jeans did him much justice. "I love them."

"Really?"

"Really," she grasped his shoulders and turned him to face the mirror.

"You don't think I look like a fool?" Brian inquired, scrutinizing his reflection in the mirror. When he had first started his career, it was all he could do to attempt to look fashionable. Far too comfortable in t-shirt and jeans. Then when it came time for award ceremonies... That had been a nightmare in the beginning. Now, with Leighanne nipping at his heels, he knew how to dress. She warned him constantly about making a fool of himself. Though, he instantly pushed her from his mind and looked to Stacia's image within the mirror. She looked gorgeous with her honey curls tied into pigtails draping over her delicate shoulders. Her emerald eyes twinkled in the soft lighting and a glossy smile was painted on her lips. She was everything he could have ever hoped to have.

"I think you look delicious," Stacia insisted quietly, wrapping her arms around his waist from behind. She couldn't stop herself when she tucked her chin against the crook of his neck. She inhale the sweet scent of his cologne, falling in love with him all over again.

"Me? Look delicious?"

"Are you not used to compliments or what?"

"Well--"

"You have always looked delicious in my eyes, and anyone who thinks differently is an idiot."

Brian sighed hatefully, and bit down hard on his inner cheek when Stacia's hands slipped beneath his t-shirt, caressing his toned stomach. "Tell Leigh that..."

"I wish you would let me," Stacia murmured against the side of his neck.

"I don't want her to start a fight--"

"You're worried I'd kick the shit out of her and ruin all the plastic surgery you sunk your money into," Stacia grunted, releasing him.

"No, it's not that," Brian disagreed, turning around to face her. "She'd call the police and I don't want you getting a criminal record."

"Providing I'd even let her get to a phone--" Growling when Brian's hand slid over her mouth to prevent her from speaking out, she looked to him. She hoped that her eyes would convey her distaste in his marriage, but the worry lurking in his light cerulean eyes halted her hate. Instead, she wondered why he looked so sad and lost since the last time they had visited one another. What had caused him to lose his hope... Sighing, she took his hand from her mouth and offered a soft kiss to his lips. He tensed immediately, but the softness of her lips coaxed him to part his. When their tongues met in a soft roll, she heard his moan of delight rumble in the base of his throat. "Take care of yourself, Brian."

"I will if you will take care of yourself--"

"I am taking care of myself," she murmured softly against his lips, not willing to pull away just yet.

"Will you come to me if you need to talk to someone?" Brian pressed his lips against hers once more.

"I always come to you when I need to talk," Stacia assured, gasping softly when his arms winded about her waist, pulling her closer than before.

"Promise me."

"Brian..."

"Staci, please."

"...What are you getting at?"

"I just want to know that if you need to talk to someone... you will come to me."

"I'll come to you..."

"Thank you," Brian breathed, taking a chance and giving her a bruising kiss.

When his hands tangled in her hair, mussing up the pigtails, he actually dipped backward. She arched up against him in delight, cupping the back of his neck with her hands. His tongue rolled against hers with a passion that she had never experienced before. There was a starving need beneath each nip of his teeth over her bottom lip. She felt as if he were pulling the very essence of her to him with the touch of his lips. It was everything that she hoped for.

Unable to help herself, she deepened the kiss with hopes that it would never end. She pushed back against him and wrapped her leg around him, drawing their bodies close. She felt as if she were on fire, knowing she never wanted it to end. Gasping softly when she felt the telltale hardness grow against her, she caught his lips in another hard kiss before he pulled back. "Brian..."

"You don't know how long I've waited to kiss you like this," Brian breathed, crushing her body against his.

Gasping when their bodies collided with the nearby wall, causing AJ and Holly to leap away cursing, she held her breath. Her emerald eyes darkened with the passion of her lust for him, though she wondered if his soul asked for the same. "From the way you acted, I didn't think you ever thought about me--"

"I always think about you. What you're doing, how your shift at the hospital went, if you ever went out to eat... what you did before going to bed. I constantly think about you."

"Who I've had in my bed--" Stacia added.

"Don't ruin the moment," Brian groaned, bringing her lips back to his.

"I wouldn't dare, I'm too afraid of waking up," she murmured against his lips, allowing herself to get caught within him once more.

~*~*~*~*~*~

In the harsh glow of the computer screen's lighting, Stacia's bruises seemed to electrifying in a brilliant coloring, drastically contrasting the creaminess of her complexion. She hadn't expected to scrutinize herself in just the glow of the computer, but couldn't sleep. Even the medication that helped her sleep had been unable to sink her into a state of unconsciousness. The nightmares had returned with a renewed vigor. Hands lunged out in the darkness, grabbing at her body and forcing her to the griddy pavement. Her throat tightened painfully as fingers dug into the flesh and other hands freely began to roam the rest of her body. Waking up drenched in sweat, she had crept downstairs to occupy her mind. Getting online, she briefly glanced over the news from Philadelphia. Not looking for anything in particular. Just clicking randomly as her mind wandered.

She had tried her best to lose herself to reality, but the soft padding of feet caught her aware of her surroundings. Seeing the reflection of a sleepy Holly in the computer screen, she sighed. "Y'know, if I wasn't allergic, I'd definitely take up smoking to calm my nerves."

"It's hard enough trying to get one person in my life to quit smoking. I don't need two," Holly yawned softly, sitting on the edge of the computer desk. "Can't sleep?"

"Nope," Stacia answered simply, continuing to look at the computer screen while flipping through the online newspaper for Philadelphia.

"What are you reading?" Holly craned her neck to get a better look at the screen.

"The news in Philly... Which is nothing but the same shit over and over. Killing. Mugging. Raping."

"And you wonder why I want you to move to Malibu?"

"As much as I love you, Holly, I wouldn't do well in Malibu."

"Why not? The Emergency Rooms are just as good here as in Philly--"

"It's not about the Emergency Rooms," Stacia assured, concentrating on the article about an increase in attacks against women. Looking to the vincinity of where they were occuring, she realized that it was her neighborhood. No rapes had been reported, but that was because each woman had managed to scare the man off. "Because Brian and Baylee live here with Leighanne. If I lived here permanently, I would have to see them constantly... I can't even manage to keep myself together when I only visit for a short vacation..."

"At least you'd be safe--"

"I would rather keep my heart mended together and be in danger than have it broken into pieces around Brian."

"But you two were so hot and heavy in the dressing room--"

"And that's all the farther it went, Hollywood. We made out in the dressing room till Alex smarted off about throwing condoms in for us. Then Brian got all upset and practically threw me to the side. He's always doing that. He keeps me close and tells me he thinks about me all the time... Then someone comes along, says something, and remembers he's married. I don't even think I could stand being an affair to him, even if it meant we'd be together. Because he would always go home to her... He always will go home to her..."

"Staci, you don't know that--"

"How many times has he said he would never divorce her? They've been married for seven years, Hol. I'm not going to hold my breath, nor am I going to let him play with my heart. I can't take it anymore."

"But you two..."

"He's irresistable."

"Then fight for him!"

"That's a battle I wouldn't win."

"How do you know?"

"Because I've been fighting it for seven very long and tiring years," Stacia sighed, clicking through a variety of letters to the editor from her local newspaper. Women were complaining about the recent attacks and lack of police follow up.

"If you loved him, you would keep fighting."

"Holly--"

"You would!"

"You don't even know what it feels like," Stacia murmured, noticing the attacks had a pattern. The types of women who were attacked...

"Alex and I had a few rough patches--"

"He didn't marry another woman after you begged him not to," Stacia muttered, terminating the connection with the paper when she became disgusted. Phildelphia had taken such an ugly turn over the years. It seemed no one was safe on the streets. An uneasy knot pulled at her stomach as she tucked her legs beneath her, pressing her elbows to the desk and resting her face in her palms. "I know you want the best for me, Hol. God knows you've always tried to get Brian to come to me. But we're just friends. The sooner I realize that. The better."

"I can see there's something more! Everyone can!" Holly tried to encourage the younger woman. She couldn't give up on Brian. Not when he was in such a dark pit with someone who could compete for the spawn of Satan. He needed Stacia; he just had to realize it. "You can't stop fighting."

"Do you have any idea how much it hurts to hear you say that?" Stacia murmured, heaving a hard sigh. It wasn't as if she hadn't fought herself on the same subject. She had tried so hard to forget him, but he was always so close to her heart. Forgetting him would be like losing part of her soul. Yet, she feared that her soul had already been spent in the streets of Philadelphia. Now she just wanted an opportunity to breathe without feeling as if the world would cave in.

"Staci--"

"You have someone who loves you unconditionally and would do anything for you. He falls asleep at your side every night. I don't have that. The man I want goes home to someone else. Loves someone else."

"He doesn't love her--"

"Then why does he stay with her? Why do they have a child together? Something has to be there, Holly."

"He made something be there. He lives behind a mask with her!"

"And he's the one that has to let that mask fall."

"But he doesn't realize that--"

"Exactly my point."

"He needs you to make him see--"

"I've been trying to make him see for seven years. Hell, longer than seven years. He's just not interested, no matter how much you want us to be together. I'm not made for him."

"That's plain bullshit, Stacia Grace!"

"Can you please shove this shit up his ass? Because I'm not the one you need to be bitching at."

"You're the one giving up--"

"I already did that," Stacia sighed, suddenly having no desire to remain in the study, especially if her best friend continued to stay. Since leaving Philadelphia, she found herself spiraling down into a deep pit of depression. She hadn't the same personality as before. Nor the fire. She just wanted to take her medication and sleep.

"Staci--"

"I'm tired."

"I didn't mean to yell. I just get worried and I want you to be happy..."

"And you go way overboard."

"I know, but--"

"I'm tired, Holly."

"I don't want you going to bed mad at me."

"We're not married--"

"You're my best friend."

"And you're my best friend, but tonight I just can't deal with it."

"I'll give you some space," Holly stood and brought Stacia into her arms. "Will you come to me when you're ready to talk?"

"I'm supposed to go to Brian first," Stacia groaned, although she accepted the hug and briefly gazed over her friend's shoulder to see AJ lingering in the doorway. "And I'm not coming to you afterwards."

"You can be such a smartass..." Holly trailed off, kissing her cheek.

"I was being honest," Stacia muttered, moving toward the doorway only to embraced by AJ as well. She knew that he had been eavesdropping in the doorway. It was his nature. Especially because he couldn't sleep without Holly tucked close to his side.

"Things will get better," AJ pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Yeah..."

"I promise--"

"I know," Stacia interupted, smacking a rushed kiss to his cheek before disappearing upstairs.

"That girl..." AJ sighed, though it shifted into a hard yawn. Shuffling into the study, he took a seat at the computer and drew his lover into his lap. He had stirred when she had left the warmth of the bed, unable to force himself back to sleep. So, he crept downstairs in hopes to catch her unawares, though he had been startled at the conversation he heard. "Honey, you've got to be more gentle."

"Neither one of them listen when I'm gentle," Holly retorted, resting her head against his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Both of them get bullheaded when you're rough," AJ reminded her, gently rubbing her back through the satin of her nightie.

"I know..." Holly admitted, sighing heavily. She hadn't meant to come on so strong, but she just wanted what was best for her two friends. "I have a big mouth."

"Extremely big mouth," AJ chuckled. "But she'll forgive you."

"I hope so. I wish I knew what else was bothering her."

"Me too," AJ soothed softly, reaching for the mouse connected to the computer. Clicking around in the history box that stored all recent internet visits, he recalled the newspaper for Philadelphia. Glancing about the articles, he sighed. "Philly's got themselves a new pervert."

"That's why I want here to move here! That damn city is getting so dangerous--"

"Especially around her block."

"What do you mean?"

"The attacks have been happening around her block."

"That's..." Holly trailed off, leaning forward to read the article AJ had stopped on. "Oh my God..."

"Her block," AJ repeated, highlighting a small section of the even smaller article. It seemed as if the entire paper was riddled with muggings, theft, assaults, and homicides. Yet, Stacia had focused on this particular article and AJ soon found out why. Squinting at the bright screen in the darkness of the room, he read aloud, "Officer Beck, who has been following the string of assault cases, stated that this particular menace began his assaults with a recent breaking and entering into a woman's apartment."

"While nothing of value had been stolen, personal items such as clothing and intimate apparel were missing," Holly read on, her eyes wide with shock.

"Officer Beck goes on to say that the assailant seems to focus on a particular type of woman... No further comments could be made... Women are advised to be careful and walk in groups... Yadda-yadda-bullshit-bullshit--"

"He started with Staci... what if he--"

"Honey, he just broke into her apartment. If she was the first, then he just got his rocks off on her and moved to the next. I mean, it's fucking insulting that he scared her to death, but I'm sure--"

"If all he did was randomly break into her house... she wouldn't have been as scared. It almost seemed like he knew she lived there--"

"You watch too much Lifetime, Sweetheart--"

"This has nothing to do with Lifetime--"

"She's safe and sound. At home. With us. Mom and Pop! C'mon, at least you know why she's so upset."

"Something just doesn't seem right," Holly insisted, her eyes dark with worry.

"Have you seen any creepy men hanging around our house?"

"No, but--"

"Any suspicious phone calls? Heavy panting? Grunts and groans?"

"No, but that doesn't mean--"

"The only man sniffing around Stace is Nick."

"Fine, I'm just crazy, then," Holly grunted, standing up. She walked over to the bookcase, arms crossed over her chest as she gazed at the pictures that adorned the shelves.

"Honey, you're not crazy," AJ groaned, swinging the chair so he could face her without standing. "You're just overprotective."

"I have every right to be! Alex, something else happened to her in Philadelphia. I don't know what, but it set this guy off and if he can find her house, he can find out where she ran to--"

"Sweetheart, he's obviously still in Philly terrorizing the rest of the population. And we don't know for sure that this is Stace--"

"Did you read the whole article? The women who are being attacked?"

"That they're all the same type--"

"Stacia's type."

"They didn't even say what the type was--"

"Right here," Holly walked over and scrolled down to the bottom. She highlighted a paragraph.

"Blonde describes every woman--"

"They're the same height, around the same weight and similar chest size."

"Stace has got a huge rack--"

"And so do these women! Fake or natural."

"Stace is all natural. I walked in on her when she was showering--" Catching his lover's blistering glare, AJ held his breath and shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "I love you, Sweetums?"

"You think I'm just being stupid and paranoid," Holly seethed, walking back over to the bookshelf. She found one of her favorite photos of Stacia and grasped it. The woman looked so happy and carefree... a mere shell of what was sleeping in the guestroom.

"I don't think you're stupid and paranoid," AJ groaned, forcing himself out of the seat. Shuffling in the dimly lit study, he stood behind his lover and loosely wrapped his arms about her waist. Tucking his chin to her shoulder, he admired the photograph that she had selected from the bunch. It was the first time Stacia had visited California and stepped onto AJ's private beach. She had wasted no time rushing into the waves and was knocked over by a huge one. Holly had feared she was drowning, but Stacia popped up laughing hysterically. Splashing water towards them, the perfect picture had been taken. So carefree and in love. A beautiful smile enhancing the loveliness of her face. The emeralds of her eyes glittering impishly. "Where is that girl?"

"I don't know... she's not sleeping in the guestroom... something happened, Alex. It changed her," Holly whispered, tears slipping down her cheeks as her fingertips brushed over the glass protecting the photo.

"I'll throw her into the ocean tomorrow. It'll liven her up," AJ attempted to tease, lifting his arms from her waist to gently rub her shoulders. "I hate seeing you so upset, Baby."

"I just want the old Staci back."

"Well, griping on her all the time ain't going to get her back. You've got to give her some time."

"But--"

"I'm not saying leave her alone, but just don't jump down her throat--"

"Alex--"

"Baby, promise me."

"I..." she looked up and their eyes connected. "Okay. I promise."

"Good," AJ answered with a grin, leaning down to brush his lips across hers. "Come to bed."

"What do I get out of it?" Holly teased, pushing back her fears for a moment.

"A handsome man laying beside you--"

"If you lay down, lay down beside me... you can get all inside me and I can get all inside you, too..." Holly sang softly with a smirk.

"Baby, if you get inside me--"

Still smirking, Holly jumped into his arms, wrapping her long legs around his waist and crushing her lips against his. "You talk too much."