- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a saparate story from my saga "Triangle of Roses". It's still in it's beginning stages. This idea has been swimming in my head for quite a while now. I've finally made the choice to start writing at put it out there.

For those of you familiar with my work, "I Know Who You Are" is different. Trust me, it's not what you think right off the bat, give it time.

Enjoy! Feedback is always appreciated!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

     There was a cozy yet empty aura that haunted through the corners of a young man’s heart as his presence swam through the city of Nashville. He did not live there; he was merely there on business, but in the recent weeks he had spent in town, it began to feel somewhat like home and definitely an escape away from Los Angeles.
     To this young man, business meant music. He had a reputation for selling million of records, but not all to his own credit. Since he was a young teenager, he contributed to the success of pop music and the respect of vocal harmony with four of his peers, who now, were his surrogate brothers more than his co-workers. Now, however, there are only four of them – and the pressure to deliver a fresh batch of material to follow their comeback album of two years prior was easing into his subconscious.
     On this particular Wednesday afternoon, the sun was shining through the windows as he walked into the practice area of the recording studio. The natural light hit him in his path to the piano and he smiled inwardly to himself: the invitation to brainstorm seemed to beckon him. He had just wrapped up recording background harmonies for a song that was likely to make the final cut of this new album; it’s title, “Unmistakable”, kept coming around and back to the for front of his thoughts. His fingers found comfort on the ivory keys of the lush instrument he sat before: he gently tinkered a few chords.

     “Hey bro, what you up to in here?”
The young man turned quickly. His band mate had his head popped around the doorframe, and a goofy look masked his face.

    “Oh,” he replied, clearing his throat. “The vibe of that track is kind of sticking with me. I kind of have…ummm…this itch to write something similar, but with a different perspective. Kind of like, what happens when you find that girl---” his voice trailed off, but his friend was nonetheless intrigued. He entered the room and took the notebook and pen off the piano bench into his hands. The young man let out a slight sigh of relief and continued his thought, “You know, it’s like…I’m…tired of scoping out girl after girl hoping she’ll be that one I’ve been looking for. I guess it’s why I felt so attached to this record. It’s a great track, ya know? And since the break up, I’ve kind of decided that it’s not worth the self-doubt. I have a---”
    “Wait, back up! Break up?”
    “Yes sir. Newly single,” he laughed, realizing he hadn’t brought up his personal affairs much in the past week in the midst of their crazy recording schedule. “Anyways, I have this feeling: when I find her, she won’t be like the rest. I mean, obviously that sounds cliché, but I mean it. No more dating on the rebound for me.” The tone in his voice left a confidence in the air as he fully accepted that this recently “failed” relationship was a rebound from heartache. Heartache had been following him a lot in the last handful of years. He thought to himself, he’d wait and let the course of life guide him into the right direction. A percentage of him still had to sort himself out before he could surrender to the one love he had been aching for recently.
    “So, this song-inspiring girl, what will she be?”
    In other words, the young man thought. What will make her different?
    The words lingered out from his mouth, “One in a million…”

To be continued…