- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I wrote this back in 2001 and got a really good response then, so I figured I might as well post it again. Please keep in mind that the clothing styles and music choices are super old, considering the 6 year difference in culture. Enjoy :)
Brian's View

My eyes snapped open to the loud ringing of an all too familiar object...the phone. I groaned and slipped further under the covers, trying to escape the annoying sound. It just kept on coming. I poked my head out from under the covers and stared at the phone evilly as it laid innocently on the edge of the in-table next to my bed. Two thoughts crossed my mind, either pick it up and talk to whoever the hell woke me up from my slumber or let it ring and then stop, but then let it ring again. I went with the first option.

I reached my arm across the large white covered bed for the phone. I unfortunately couldn't reach it, meaning I had to move my tired butt over a few inches to get a hold of it. I groaned and slammed my head into the soft white covers beneath me. I wasn't in the mood for moving, getting out of bed, showering, eating, drinking...anything that involved physical activity. I was tired, but who wouldn't be after a certain friend named AJ took you out clubbing last night to get your mind off of some things?

With my head still smashed into the plump covers, I slightly shifted my body toward the phone, my arm still stretched out. The ringing was still going. I was hoping to God that it would stop. It was making my ears ring, don't you just hate when that happens? I sure as hell do.

Finally, the tips of my fingers touched the cool plastic of the phone. I pulled it toward me and wrapped my fingers around it, pulling it over to me afterwards. I raised my head staring at it, tempted to throw it across the room, but instead, I pressed the "Talk" button and raised the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I grumbled, rubbing my left eye and then resting it back onto the covers.

"Hey Frack, what's up?" I heard Nick's voice reach my ears.

"I was sleeping," I said.

"Oh, sorry about that. Why were you sleeping? It's like 1 in the afternoon already," he said a little surprised. I normally wouldn't sleep this late, so I could understand his surprise.

"It's 1?" I asked shifting my eyes to the clock on the table where the phone was sitting before. He was right, it was 1. Well, 1:13 to be more specific.

"Yeah, are you OK? Are you sick or somethin'?" he asked.

"No, I'm fine, I guess I'm just tired, that's all," I shrugged, yawning a little bit.

"Oh, OK, well anyway, I called because Fatima called earlier and said she needs us down at the dance studio at 5," he said.

"What? Why? Don't tell me we're learning new dance routines. I thought we already learned all of them?"

"So did I, but I don't think we're going to be dancing. She said she just needed us there for some help."

"What kind of help?"

"Hell if I know," he replied.

"All right, I'll see you later then," I said.

"Later," he said hanging up the phone. I pressed the "Talk" button once more and then tossed the phone near the top of the bed. I yawned and rested my head on the soft covers again. I stared out the window to the blue, cloudless sky above. It was a nice day and normally I would love to go out and do something, but today things were different. I didn't feel like doing anything.

I sighed deeply and grabbed a hold of the covers in my left fist, flinging the covers off me. I laid there, letting the cool air hit my only boxer worn body.

After a few minutes, I rolled out of bed and walked drowsily to my dresser. I opened the top drawer, grabbed a pair of boxers and then opened another drawer, pulling out a pair of khaki shorts. I then went over to my walk in closet and grabbed a white wife beater and a green over shirt.

I took a shower afterwards and then made my way down my marble staircase to the kitchen behind it. I opened the refrigerator and skimmed the selection of what there was to eat. I grabbed the orange juice and just closed the door. Nothing looked too appealing.

I looked over at the clock and it read 3:45.

"Damn Rok, you sure took your time," I said to myself. I took a few gulps out of the carton and put it back in the refrigerator. I then grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl in the middle of the island and grabbed my car keys that were laying at the end of the counter. I made my way to the front double doors and snatched my wildcats hat and glasses before I stepped out into the sun. I put my cap on backwards and slid my glasses on my head.

I decided to go over to Nick's and we could both just go over to the dance studio together. This way, I could at least do something to keep me busy for a little bit and then I'd make sure Nick wasn't late like he usually is.

I walked to the driveway looking at my assortment of cars, well, 4 cars to be exact. That's a lot for a guy that lives alone if you think about it. Well, I didn't live alone about 2 months ago. I was living with my girlfriend Leighanne, but one day, we got in this big fight and she left me. I was devastated. I still am.

I chose to drive my jeep. I didn't feel like driving any of the others. The jeep is my oldest car, but it's also my favorite.

I slid into the drivers seat and closed the door after me. I put the key in the ignition and started up the engine. The radio turned on and Lifehouse "Hanging By A Moment" blared through the speakers. I turned the volume down and shifted into drive. I then pulled out of my driveway and onto the street below, driving to Nick's house who lived only about 15 minutes away.

"Time to put on your act Bri," I said softly to myself. I frowned deeply, wanting to cry, as I drove down the street to the only person's house that would understand what I was going through. The sad thing is, he has no idea what I'm going through, but then again, that could be my fault. He doesn't know. No one knows, except me.