- Text Size +
The Next Day

Nicole's View


"Maddy! Maddy!" I exclaimed, pushing the door to our apartment open and stumbling in. I threw my jacket and keys to the side and kicked off my shoes, rushing around the kitchen to the hallway.

"Maddy!" I yelled banging on her bedroom door.

"Maddy, open the door!" I screamed banging as hard as I could. The door swung open and Maddy stood there staring at me with disbelief written all over her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked hurriedly. I pushed past her and plopped down on her bed, putting my head in my hands.

"Nikki, what's wrong?" she asked again, closing the door and coming over to me. She was beginning to get worried, I could tell by her voice. I could feel it too.

"I did something horrible," I said looking up into her eyes. She looked at me puzzled and asked, "What did you do? You didn't kill him did you?"

"It's not time to joke Maddy!" I exclaimed throwing my hands up in the air.

"OK, girl chill, will you tell me what happened?" she asked. I looked over at her and said, "You promise not to get mad?"

"Nikki, that has got to be the stupidest question in the world. You know I can't get mad, you know you can't get mad, so why ask a question like that?"

I looked down and said, "Sorry, I'm just not thinking."

"Now please tell me what's going on," she softly said.

I sighed and said, "Brian and I slept together last night."

I stared at her face for her reaction, and all I got was a very large smile to form.

"Maddy, why are you smiling?" I asked dumbfounded. I could have sworn she would have flipped.

"How was it?" she asked, a hint of laughter in her tone.

"How was it!? That's all you can say!? I don't think you understood me Maddy, I had sex with him!" I exclaimed.

"What's so bad about that?" she asked. I stared at her in disbelief, "Isn't that against the rules or something!?"

"Not that I know of," she shrugged. "I mean, Kevin and I did it a couple times and I didn't get in trouble. If they changed the rules they would have contacted me already. Nikki, this is normal, it happens all the time in these cases. You don't need to worry about it."

I sighed a sigh of relief and said, "Jeez, I thought I screwed up majorly."

"Nikki, the only way you could screw up is to give up and not help him, and from what I can tell, you're not going to give up and you are helping him. You're right on schedule."

"Have you talked to Melanie?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, I did, last night," she nodded.

"And?"

"And what?"

"Maddy! Stop procrastinating and tell me already!"

"You need to calm down Nikki, I have never seen you like this," she said looking at me strangely. I sighed and said, "I'm sorry, I'm just a little jumpy after what happened last night. I'm just really beginning to worry. Please tell me if Melanie found out when my deadline is."

"She asked around and finally just went and talked to him. He said you have 4 months, 5 months at the most. You have a lot of time."

I sighed another sigh of relief.

Madeline's View

"Feel better now?"

"Yes, I'm sorry Maddy."

"No need to apologize. Go take a shower and cool off," I said getting up off the bed and grabbing her hand, pulling her to her feet. She nodded and said, "I think I will."

She walked over to the door but before she walked out, she turned around and said, "Maddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know what's going to happen?"

"What do you mean babe?" I asked looking at her questionably. She stared at me for a moment, but she really wasn't staring at ME. She was looking at me, but by the look of her eyes, she was thinking about something really hard.

"Nikki?" I asked softly, beginning to walk toward her.

"Huh? Oh sorry, never mind," she said shaking her head. She then walked out of the room closing the door behind her. I stared after her bewildered. This wasn't good.

I rushed over to the phone and quickly grabbed it, dialing Melanie's number.

"Pick up, Pick up, you better not be in a meeting right now," I mumbled to myself.

"Hello?"

"Melanie! I need to talk to you," I said quickly.

"About what?" she asked curiously.

"It's about Nicole," I said.

"Oh, how is she doing by the way? We've been pretty entertained with what has been happening, the guys are really enjoying it. You should have seen how Bill reacted to what happened last night! He's really proud of Nikki, can you believe that? Well, I can see why, he's practically raised the girl for the past 2 hund..."

"Melanie, I really need to talk to you about something," I pleaded.

"OK, now I know something bad is happening, you sound a little worried, that's definitely not a good sign," she said.

"No, it's not, I haven't been like this in so many years. I don't know what to do."

"What happened with Nicole? Is she alright?"

"I don't know, I really don't. I have a few ideas in my head of what could be happening and they aren't exactly good."

"Like what?"

"I don't want to talk to you on the phone about them, could you come down here so we could talk?"

"Yeah, no prob, I have to go to the dry cleaners to pick up our new wardrobe..."

"We have a new wardrobe? Since when?" I interrupted.

"Since Eugene went and complained to him about how our old wardrobe is so...old and ugly looking. Eugene thinks we should have newer clothes to make us look more beautiful like we should," she said. I could tell by her voice that she wasn't very happy with Eugene.

"But we've had these clothes since when?"

Melanie laughed and said, "I can't even remember it's been so long but I hear the new wardrobe is actually pretty nice. You'll see them in a few months."

"Yeah, until then I have to wear these clothes. I swear, every time I help a new one out, the style of clothes completely changes. I never get adjusted to it," I laughed. I could hear her laugh along with me and then say, "OK, well, I'll be down there in about 15 minutes, where do you want to meet? At your guys' apartment?"

"No, Nikki will be here, I would like to talk alone. How about the Starbucks down the street?" I asked.

"Sounds good, see you then," Melanie said. I clicked the "Talk" button and tossed the phone on the bed sighing deeply. I was beginning to become real worried with Nicole's behavior and for me to become worried or even a little upset is very unusual. Something was happening to Nicole that didn't feel right. Something was going to happen, I could feel it in my gut, I just didn't know what. All I know is that when someone like me gets a feeling like this, it's either really good, or it's really bad. As much as I hated to admit it, but I was leaning toward the really bad.