- Text Size +
Nicole's View

I looked up and smiled as I saw the man standing in my bedroom doorway. I got up off my bed and rushed over to him, throwing my arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"Bill, what are you doing here?" I asked kissing his cheek. He grinned and said, "What's wrong with visiting my girl? It's been a couple months since I've seen you."

I smiled and said, "Yeah but I'm coming home on Monday. I guess I did a pretty good job with Brian huh?"

He smiled and kissed my forehead, "Sure did and speaking of Brian, I would like to talk to you about him."

I looked at him curiously and said, "All right."

I walked over to the bed and sat down, waiting for him to take a seat next to me.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"Oh no nothing like that, I just wanted to talk to you about how things went," he said. I smiled and said, "It was pretty hard at first, trying to get him to trust me, but after he opened up, everything went great."

He smiled and patted my hand, "I'm glad you succeeded."

"Me too," I said.

"Has anything strange been going on?" he asked me suddenly. I looked over at him a little confused.

"What do you mean?"

He shrugged, "I was just wondering if anything odd has been happening."

I looked down and thought about it. Sure there were quite a few things that were a little odd, but nothing to really worry about.

"Yeah, there's a couple of things, but nothing to worry about. I mean, I'm sure everything will go back to normal once I get back home."

He stared at me for a moment and said, "How are you so sure?"

I shrugged and said, "Things always go back to normal with people like us Bill."

He smiled and said, "I'm glad you paid attention in class."

I grinned.

"But I'm sure you also learned that some things may not go back to normal?" he said.

I thought for a moment, "Yeah, but it rarely happens."

"That's true, it hasn't happened in over a thousand years."

I nodded, "Bill, where are you going with this?"

He smiled over at me, "Nothing honey, I'm just saying that maybe you should think more seriously about those odd things that are happening to you."

"Do you want to know..." I began but he interrupted by putting his hand up to stop me. Smiling he said, "I don't want to hear what odd things are happening. If you told me, you'd ask if it were good or bad, and I'm not going to tell you."

I looked at him puzzled, "Why?"

"Some things aren't meant to be told."

"But what if it's really serious..." he stopped me again.

"No worries Nicole OK?"

"But Bill, what if it seriously is something bad and I don't know what to do?"

"That's simple," he said. "I need you to do this as much as you need to do it for yourself."

I nodded and looked at him a little puzzled. He took his hand and lightly touched my chest where my heart was.

"The heart, the place where most feelings are created," he stated and then dropped his hand in his lap. "When the time comes, you need to listen to your heart...to your feelings. Don't be afraid Nicole. Just listen to your heart and do what you think is right. Your heart is always right. Remember that OK?" he said looking at me seriously.

"Okay Bill," I slightly smiled. He smiled meekly and patted my leg.

"Papa..."

"Hmm?"

"What's wrong?" I asked looking at him concerned. He smiled the same meek smile and said, "I forgot my girl had that gift."

I linked my arm with his and hugged it to me tight.

"Something's going to happen isn't there?" I asked quietly. He looked down at me, his smile no where on his face, not even in his eyes. His eyes were swarming with sadness.

"Most things only happen if they're supposed to," he said softly.

"Is it supposed to happen?" I asked.

"That's what you need to figure out, as how you need to figure out how to listen to your heart."

"Why are you so sad?" I asked frowning. He cracked a smile with much force, "I'm just going to miss..."

He quickly stopped.

"Miss what?" I asked. He leaned in and kissed my forehead.

"I'm going to go home now OK? I'll see you Monday honey," he said as he got up. I let go of his arm and looked after him worried.

He turned and looked at me before he left the room and lightly smiled, "You should pay more attention to your facial features. That may help you figure things out."

My eyes furrowed at what he said.

"I love you Nicole," he said.

"I love you too Papa," I said quietly.

The Next Night

Brian's View


I rushed around the room trying to find the shirt I had bought for the party tonight.

"Where is it!?" I exclaimed throwing hangers and other articles of clothing out of my closet.

"Nervous much?" I heard behind me. I turned my head startled and found Nick standing in the middle of my room with a shirt hanging off his head.

"Hey, sorry about that," I apologized.

"What's up with you?" he asked taking the shirt off his head and throwing it to the side.

"I can't find my shirt," I said pushing a bunch of shirts to the side.

"Is that it?" he asked. I turned my head to look at him, he was pointing to my desk. I turned my gaze to the desk and found the shirt hanging off the chair. I sighed loudly and rushed over, snatching it up.

"I'm guessing you're worried about what she's going to say," Nick chuckled taking a seat on my bed. I took my shirt off and threw it to the side hastily. I pulled on the silk white shirt and turned to him.

"What do you think she's going to say?" I asked looking around quickly for my white tie. I saw it hanging off the dresser and quickly rushed over. I put it over my neck and tied it, leaving it loose. I quickly grabbed my nice cream colored sport coat and put it on.

"Depends," I heard him say. I turned around and stared at him, "How did you get ready so fast!?"

He shrugged, "It wasn't hard. Man you need to calm down."

I fiddled with my hands and groaned, "I'm just so nervous. What if she doesn't show up?"

"She's going to show up Brian," Nick said. "She's going to show up, you're going to ask her to be your girl, and she's going to say yes."

I walked over to him and sat down, "Do you think it's too soon to ask her to move in with me?"

"It's only temporary until she finds a place of her own isn't it?"

I nodded, "Yeah it is. I don't want to rush anything. I just really don't want her to move back home."

His hand clapped on my back and he said, "Just try not to think about it right now. Have a good time with her tonight."

I nodded and said, "You're right."

"OK, are you ready?" he asked getting to his feet. I looked around and my clothes thrown all over the room and said, "Yeah, do I look OK?"

"You look fine! Now come on!" he said grabbing my arm and pulling me up.

I raised my hand to my neck and checked to see if I had my necklace on and then patted my leg pocket to make sure the box was in there. Gosh, I have never been so nervous before in my life but could you blame me? Tonight was going to determine the rest of my life. She was either going to be in it or she wasn't. I wanted so much for her to be in it.