- Text Size +
Brian's View

I dodged through the dancing people on the dance floor as the different colored lights twirled around casting colors all over the dance floor. The speakers blared with the remix of "Crush" by Jennifer Paige.

I looked up to make sure my surprise I had for Nicole was where it was supposed to be and smiled when I saw that it was there. I hope she liked it.

I came upon a couple I didn't know grinding against each other and rolled my eyes trying to get past them. I just wanted to get over to the tables and sit down. That and find Nicole. I just got here with Nick but I'm still hoping she got here before me.

Finally, I stumbled off the dance floor and faced all the tables. Some people were chatting quietly, others were roaring with laughter.

"Some people are already plastered," I smiled shaking my head.

I scanned the tables to see if I knew anybody. I grinned when I saw Kevin leaning back in a chair and looking out upon the dance floor. I walked over and plopped down next to him in a chair. He jumped and his chair started to fall back. I quickly grabbed the back of his chair.

"Sorry about that," I laughed. He whistled relieved that he didn't fall and smiled over at me, "No problem, I was asking for it by sitting like that. How you doin'?"

"Awesome, but a little stressed out," I said. He nodded, "Yeah, I heard about Nikki. You guys can still keep in touch you know. It's not the end of the world."

"I know," I said. "I'm actually gonna ask her to move in with me tonight."

He looked at me surprised, "Are you sure that's a wise idea? It's a little soon don't you think? You two aren't even together."

I shook my head, "It's only temporary until she finds her own place and I'm gonna ask her to be my girl tonight too."

He smiled lightly, "Are you sure you want to ask that? You know what happened last time."

"I know but something's changed about her. I don't know what it is, but she's changed," I said. "It's nothing bad or anything, it's just...I can't explain it."

"So you're saying you think she'll say yes?" he asked. I thought for a second and then said, "Yeah, I think she will."

"Good luck," he said.

"Thanks."

He raised his arm and pointed toward the dance floor smiling, "Here comes your girl now."

I turned my head quickly to see where he was pointing, "Where?"

"Right there," he said. "The stairs."

I looked up at the stairs and my mouth fell open slightly, "Wow."

"You're one lucky boy Brian," he chuckled looking at the expression on my face. I looked over at him and gave him a small smile.

"I'll see you later," I said getting up out of my chair.

"Later Cuz," he waved.

I swerved in and out of the tables and chairs until I got to the dance floor. I groaned inwardly. I really didn't want to go through this again.

I looked up and found Nicole had stopped. She was smiling down at me. I grinned and waved. She waved back.

"The hell with it," I mumbled and walked into the dancing crowd.

"Hey!" I heard someone scream in my ear. I turned to the person irritated. My face relaxed when I saw AJ. Of course he would be out here.

"Heading for Nikki?!" he yelled over the music, winking at me. I grinned and nodded my head.

He clapped his hand on my back and yelled "Good Luck" before he danced off. I looked up to make sure she was still where she was before and was relieved she was.

I pushed through the last remaining people and straightened myself out before I headed over to the staircase. I put my hand in my pocket to make sure the box was still there, as was the rose I had bought. Satisfied that they were, I started to make my way over to the staircase. I put my hand on the railing and rushed up them, slowing down as I came upon Nicole. Gosh, she looked even more amazing as you got closer.

I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her close, "Hey you, thank you for coming."

She hugged me back, "I promised I would didn't I?"

I nodded and inhaled the sweet scent of her. She smelled like Vanilla, my favorite. I pulled back and planted a kiss on her lips. I then reached in my pocket and pulled out the white rose. She smiled and kissed my lips softly, "Thank you."

"You look gorgeous," I complimented. She looked down and back up at me, "Thank you, you look really handsome."

I smiled a thank you and took her hand.

"Ready to go down?" I asked. She turned her head to look at the large dance floor.

"Yep," she said. I walked down the stairs with her next to me.

"I don't see how you can walk in those," I laughed as we reached the bottom of the stairs. I pointed to her high heels.

"It's simple, you just stand and walk," she said. Laughing I said, "You make it sound so easy."

"That's because it is!" she laughed.

I took my gaze off her shoes and raised my eyes slowly to look at her. She was wearing a white spaghetti strap dress. It was tight in the chest area and then went free. The bottom part was made of silk, it moved like liquid as she walked. The top part had sparkles in the fabric. It had to be expensive that's for sure. She was wearing her cross necklace of course and her ears dangled with opal earrings. Her mouth shined with lipgloss from the lights and instead of a solid color for her eye shadow, glitter was present. Her blonde hair was in curls on top of her head. Glitter was spread across her chest and arms.

She looked absolutely beautiful. She was easily the most gorgeous girl in the room. All the guys would surely be turning their heads, not only because of the way she looked, but it seemed like there was some sort of light coming off of her. It was stupid to say but it seemed like something was surrounding her, as if protecting her. Now that I think about it, it's always been there. I just never really noticed until now as I took all of her in.

"You know what I just noticed?" I asked as we took a seat at one of the tables. She sat down and asked, "What's that?"

"Your necklace," I said pointing to it. She looked down and raised her hand to touch it. "Fatima and Madeline have the same one. They're always wearing it."

She looked up at me a little surprised, "You noticed that?"

I nodded and laughed lightly, "It's kind of hard not to. Is it like a friendship thing between you three?"

She nodded vigorously and said, "Yeah that's it."

She then frowned and looked down quickly. She had just lied to me, that was obvious. Why did she lie about something so little? I opened my mouth to ask but was interrupted by her speaking.

"You know what I just noticed too?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"We're both wearing white," she laughed lightly. I looked down at my clothing and then over at hers.

"Hey, you're right," I laughed. "We just look cool like this. It's our own little style."

"Yeah," she laughed. I just grinned at her.

"This is a really cool party," she said. I looked around and then turned back to her, "Thank you, it's not as good as last years, but it's up there with one of the best."

She smiled at me, "You don't seem to be having fun."

"What? Are you kidding? I'm having the time of my life now that you're here," I grinned. Her cheeks flushed a little.

"You're just too sweet," she said.

"That's me, Mr. Sweet," I grinned wider. She giggled.

The loud music came to a stop and the different colored lights stopped flashing. The room became black except for the candles on each table and the sparkles coming off of other people's clothing. After a few seconds of silence and blackness, the dance floor was lit up lightly by a few surrounding white lights. It wasn't bright at all. They only lit the dance floor as much as the people needed to to see. Then music to "It's In The Way You Love Me" by Shania Twain started up.

I looked at the people on the dance floor as some couples moved closer to each other and as others walked off, finding a table to sit at. I smiled, right on schedule.

I turned to Nicole and asked as I held out my hand, "Care to dance?"

She smiled at me and slid her hand into mine, "Lead the way."

I got out of my seat and waited for her to put her purse down on the table. Holding her hand, I walked through the tables and to the dance floor.

Nicole's View

Brian stopped in the middle of the dance floor and turned around, taking the hand that he was holding and putting it up around his neck. He reached down and grabbed my other hand and put that up and around his neck. He then slid his hands around my waist and pulled me to him close. I leaned against him, inhaling the scent of him. God, he smelled so good.

He began to move slowly to the beat of the music with me in his arms.

You got a way with me
Some how you got me to believe
In everything that I could be
I gotta say you really got a way

You got a way it seems
You gave me faith to find my dreams
You never knew just what that means
Can't you see you got a way with me?

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love


I licked my lips and shut my eyes tight as I listened to the words of the music. It was crazy to say, but it's like those words were all true. As I danced in Brian's arms, so many things were starting to hit me. This was my last night here in Florida, this was my last night to speak to Brian, to look at him, to hug him, to kiss him, this was my last night before I would go home and I will never see him again. This was the last night Brian would even know I existed...

You got a way with words
You kept me smiling even when it hurts
There's no way to measure what your love is worth
I can't believe the way you get through to me

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love


God, why do I have to leave? Why can't I just stay here forever, knowing that Brian will never forget me, knowing that he'll always be there to hold me?

Feelings started to rush through my veins, feelings that I have never felt before. Or maybe I have felt them before and I had just forgotten. Being in Brian's arms opened something up, something inside of me. The world around me used to be so sharp and so clear. I could always sense feelings of others, but as Brian held me as we danced, the world started to become foggy. When this happened I became aware of my heart aching. Aching. My heart isn't supposed to ache. My closed eyes started to burn. I bit my lip and gripped Brian tightly.

Oh how I adore you
Like no one before you
I love you just the way you are


My eyes opened slowly as I heard those words being sung, 'I love you just the way you are.' Something then washed over me as I finally realized what was happening. I loved him. I loved Brian.

I licked my lips and blinked, trying to get the burning to stop. As I opened my eyes I noticed things falling from the ceiling. All the couples stopped around us and looked up and around as the white balloons, glitter and, oh God, white rose pedals floated around us. Brian had did this, no one else could have.

Even though all the other couples had stopped and were picking rose pedals and balloons off the floor, Brian and I didn't stop. We continued dancing. I couldn't hear the people speaking, I could only hear the music being played.

A pedal fell onto Brian's shoulder. I moved my hand and picked it up running my fingers across it. A smile then crept on my face and I closed my eyes once more.

It's in the way you want me
It's in the way you hold me
The way you show me just what love is made of
It's in the way we make love...It's just the way you are


The song came to an end and Brian slowly stopped dancing. He made no move to remove his arms from around me, just as I had made no move to drop my arms from around his neck. We stood there in each other's arms in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by balloons and so many white rose pedals.

Brian then said something that made my whole body grow weak.

"I love you," he softly said into my ear.

My heart fluttered at the words and my breath caught in my throat. I didn't say anything. I just stood there with my eyes tightly shut, replaying what he had said to me.

His voice grew very quiet, so quiet that no one else would have been able to hear it unless their ear was right up to his lips like mine was.

"Can I keep you?" he whispered.

I took in a shaky breath and tightly shut my eyes. The burning in my eyes had quickly gone away and a warm fluid had started to trickle down my face. I opened my eyes and found the whole room blurry. I blinked and felt the same warmth rolling down my cheeks.

I pulled away from Brian and looked up at him. He was looking down at me with a little smile on his face. His eyes...they were full of so much love.

"You're crying," he said softly. My mouth parted and I raised my hand slowly to my face. I touched my cheek tenderly and felt my fingers turn moist. I pulled my hand away and looked at my hand in complete shock. Tears still were flowing from my eyes.

"Oh no," I breathed. I darted my eyes up at Brian who was beginning to look puzzled and then looked around me quickly, backing up. Everyone had stopped moving, had stopped talking. They were standing there watching the two of us.

I then noticed Fatima push through the crowd. She was staring at me with her mouth wide open. I looked away ashamed.

I looked at Brian one last time and turned on my heel, running away from the man that had released something in me that no one could ever do to someone like me, until now.