- Text Size +
Nicole's View

"Please...excuse me. Please get out of the way," I cried pushing through the people in the lobby. They stared at me curiously as I pushed past. I had completely lost control of my emotions. Tears fell freely from my eyes, my heart was aching horribly, and I was growing very hot.

"Are you OK?" someone had asked as I bumped into them.

"Yes, I'm fine," I said not looking at the person.

I finally came to the front doors and threw them open, walking out into the cool night air. I rushed to the side of the street and looked around frantically.

"Taxi!" I yelled stepping out into the street and waving my arm around. A taxi slowed and came to a stop in front of me. I swung open the door and slipped in.

"Where to miss?" the driver asked looking at me through his rear view mirror.

"Just...I don't know, just go!" I exclaimed trying to wipe away the tears from my face. I looked out the window just in time to see Brian burst through the front doors yelling my name.

"Are you OK miss?" the driver asked. My head was in my hands and I was sobbing uncontrollably. I tried so hard to stop but I couldn't. I didn't know how.

I shook my head, "No, I'm not."

"What happened?" he asked. I slowly looked up and saw his concerned eyes in the mirror.

"I'm sorry, I know you don't know me," he apologized. I shook my head and sniffled, "It's OK."

"Man trouble?" he asked. I stared out the window at passing cars and nodded slowly.

"It's just, have you ever wanted something you couldn't have?" I asked softly.

"I'm a taxi driver ma'am, there's a lot of things I want that I can't have," he chuckled. I didn't smile. "Sorry, I just thought that would get a pretty girl like you to smile. You don't seem like the type to frown or get upset too much."

I wiped my cheeks and shook my head, "I'm not, I'm definitely not."

"What is it that you want that you can't have?" he asked.

"Love," I said softly.

"Love is complicated if you don't mind me saying, but in the end, everyone has a chance to experience it."

"No, it's not that."

"What's the problem then?"

"I'm in love," I said looking over at him.

"What's so bad about that?"

"I'm not supposed to be!" I burst. "I pledged in front of so many people that I would follow the rules, one being to never get so attached that you fall in love. What's going to happen to me? Oh God, I can't even go home now."

He stared at me puzzled. I looked out the window and saw the park that was near Maddy's and mine apartment.

"Stop the car," I said.

"Here?" he asked.

"Yes, at the park," I nodded.

"At this time of night?" he asked.

"Yes! Just please stop the car!" I exclaimed. He slowed the car down and pulled over. I got out of the car and closed the door behind me. I leaned over and looked at the driver.

"How much?" I asked reaching for my purse. Oh no. I looked down and found that I didn't have my purse. I groaned loudly as I realized it was back at the party lying on a table.

"It's on the house miss," he said smiling lightly at me. I stared at him shocked, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, "Yes, I'm sure. I just hope things work out for you."

"Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate this," I said. He smiled and waved, afterwards pulling away.

Brian's View

"Nick...where's Nick..." I kept saying to myself as I ran down the stairs quickly and scanned the crowd.

"Nick!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. Many people stopped and stared at me bewildered.

I then spotted a tall blonde over by the bar.

"Thank God," I breathed out and ran over to him.

"Gimme your car keys," I demanded. He looked over at me and swallowed the wine he had sitting in his mouth, "What?"

"Give me your car keys Nick!" I yelled. He looked at me wide eyed, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Didn't you just see what happened!?" I exclaimed pointing toward the dance floor. He looked to where I was pointing and then stared at me again.

"Yeah, you and Nicole were dancing..."

"And she ran out on me!" I yelled. He looked surprised, "What happened?"

"How the hell should I know! That's what I'm trying to figure out! Now give me your damn car keys!"

"Calm down will you?" he said digging in his pocket for his keys. He finally pulled them out and I snatched them from him quickly.

"Don't you dare crash it!" he yelled after me as I ran across the room and up the stairs. I sprinted through the lobby and burst through the front doors. People stopped momentarily and stared at me like I was some lunatic and moved quickly away. I ignored them and jogged to the parking lot a block away.

"Where did you park the friggin car Nick?" I asked myself as I walked down the row of cars.

"Ah ha!" I exclaimed as I recognized the back of his BMW. I quickly got in and pulled out of the parking lot, heading toward Nicole's apartment.

What had happened? Was it the fact that I told her I loved her? No, it couldn't be. She would have ran away sooner if it was that. Then what was it? She had pulled away from me, I had told her she was crying...wait, did she run away because she was crying? That's really stupid to think I know, but she panicked when she realized she was. I didn't think it was something someone would get upset over, but Nicole was different. Nicole wasn't like normal people.

Why would she panic over tears? She's had to cry before.

I slowed the car down at a stop light and dropped my hands in my lap, trying to think of when she had cried. I frowned. She never has. Tonight was the first time she had cried, well, at least in front of me.

I pressed on the gas and moved down the street a little slower than I was before.

I was going to go to her apartment and talk to her about what had happened. Things would be sorted out, I'd ask her to be my girlfriend, then ask her to move in with me until she found her own place, and everything would be just fine and dandy after that. That was my plan, but do my plans ever work out as planned? No.

I sighed and frowned as I turned a corner. I looked out the passenger side window and noticed the park. I was getting closer to her apartment. God, please be there Nicole.

I glanced at the park for a second more and just as I was turning my attention back to the road, I noticed a dark figure standing in the field of green grass next to the playground. I squinted to see the figure more clearly. It was a person, a person wearing a white glittery dress.

I quickly slowed the car down and pulled over, shutting the engine off. Normally, I would have jumped out of the car and ran up to her, but I didn't. I just sat there looking out the window as Nicole stood there. I frowned as the sight of her.

I slowly got out of the car and shut the door quietly. I made my way around the car and stepped up on the sidewalk. I hesitated but then slowly walked across the grass towards her.

Nicole's View

I stood in the grass hugging myself tightly. My eyes were tightly shut and I was crying quietly to myself. God, why can't I stop? Please make it stop.

I looked up at the night sky and said softly, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Nicole?"

I spun around startled. My arms dropped down to my sides and I sucked in air.

Brian stopped and backed up a little, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying to wipe the tears away. Damn them, they just kept coming.

"I was heading over to your apartment and I saw you standing here..."

"Why were you heading to my apartment?" I asked.

"To see how you were and what happened," he said. I looked down and licked my lips.

"I...I wanted to give you this. I was going to, but you left so suddenly," he said. I looked up and found him pulling out a velvet box from his pocket. He swallowed and opened it, taking out something shiney.

"It's a necklace," he said taking a couple of steps toward me. "It has half of a heart on it. I know that may sound weird to you, but I have the other half of the heart on a necklace too."

He raised his hand and pulled out a silver chain that was hiding behind his shirt.

I bit my lip and said, "Why would you want to give something like that to me?"

He looked a little hurt but it didn't stop him from explaining, "I wanted you to have it. I guess it represents what I feel for you. It represents our friendship. Whenever you're sad or lonely, I want you to look at this and know that I'm always here and that I'm always going to remember you."

I stepped forward and let him put it around my neck, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I raised my hand and touched it, frowning, "Even though you'll have this, you're going to forget about me."

He looked at me confused, "Nicole, you know that's not true. I could never forget you."

"No, Brian, you're going to forget about me OK?" I said starting to get choked up again. He shook his head and opened his mouth to speak.

"Please Brian, just go home," I said. "Go home and continue with your life. One of us needs to. I sure didn't get to."

"Nicole...what..."

I tried to force my sobs to stay in but it wasn't working.

"Please go home!" I cried starting to turn away. He stepped forward and touched my arm. I pulled away from him, "Don't."

"Nicole, why are you being like this?" he asked. I looked up in his eyes and saw them start to well up with tears. I was causing him so much pain.

"I don't want it to happen. I don't, I really don't. I don't want you to go home and wake up tomorrow, never knowing I existed," I said. He looked at me with so much confusion.

"I'm not going to forget about you Nicole! I could never! I love you!"

"You don't understand..." I sobbed.

"Nicole," he began taking a hold of my hands. "Please help me try to understand!"

I turned my head away to avoid his eyes.

"I'm begging you, please help me try to understand," he begged. I pulled my hands away from his and backed up a little, "Go home Brian."

I turned around and started walking.

"No!" he yelled and rushed to the front of me, blocking my path. "I'm not letting you leave. I want you to help me understand Nicole. I want that so much. I want to understand."

I looked into his pain filled eyes. He stood there waiting, begging. He was full of so much love. It poured out of him in torrents and it was intoxicating. Feelings were sweeping over me that I've never felt before. Is this what love feels like? Is love supposed to hurt this way? It's so painful, but yet I don't want it to ever go away.

I searched his eyes realizing that I owed it to him to tell him the truth. The truth of who I was. I had to give him a chance to understand.

"You really want the truth?" I asked softly.

He nodded his head.

"Alright," I breathed deeply. I was scared and yet it didn't seem to affect the tears coming out of my eyes. "My name is Nicole Williams. I'm from Oakland, Maryland. My parents? I don't remember them. My siblings? I don't remember them. My age? I'm not 22."

He stared at me confused, "Nicole..."

I interrupted him. If he had spoken anymore, I think I would have changed my mind about telling him everything.

"I'm 300 years old Brian," I stated.

He was a little taken aback. He opened his mouth to speak, but I continued saying softly, "I died in a house fire 280 years ago."

He stared at me bewildered.

"You must think I'm crazy huh? You must be wondering how the hell a girl that died 280 years ago could possibly be standing in front of you. Fatima or Madeline would be glad to explain a little bit more to you. I'm not a ghost, I'm not a monster. I'm an angel. I was sent here to help you with your depression and once I was done I was supposed to go back to heaven and wait for my next project, and you're supposed to go on with your life and forget about me. It's a job really, a job that you don't get paid in. Madeline isn't my sister. She's a friend of mine that coached me through everything. I succeeded with you and now I have to go back home. Not to Maryland, oh no, not there, my home and family are long gone, but back to heaven.

You mentioned my necklace tonight, the one with the cross, and how me, Fatima, and Madeline each have one and how we're always wearing it. It represents who we are. Every angel wears one, it's how we can determine who's human and who's angel.

I don't remember anything from my past life, except for where I came from and what my name was. Everything else is gone. Sure, I remembered everything at first, but over the years everything just slipped away. People like me aren't like living people. We don't have all the feelings that you possess. We rarely get upset, we rarely frown. We're always happy and smiling. We have barriers, barriers that aren't supposed to be broken down, and you Brian, you broke one of them down. No one has ever done that before. You fell in love with an angel and I fell in love with a human," I stopped and took a deep shakey breath. Brian was staring at me blankly, like he didn't know exactly what I was saying.

"You see these tears?" I asked. "They're not supposed to be there. Angels don't cry. They can't. If they do then that means something seriously has gone wrong. I don't have to worry about finding out what I did wrong, I already know. I fell in love with you. I broke one of the biggest rules, and I don't know what's going to happen to me because of it."

Brian stood there uncomfortably. I looked at him, waiting.

"I..." he began but stopped.

I then said softly, "Go home Brian. Tomorrow you're going to feel much better. Tomorrow you're not even gonna know I ever came into your life. I didn't get the chance to live through my whole life, but you do Brian, you do. Go on living and don't ever look back."

I stepped forward and softly kissed him on the lips.

"I love you," I said softly and began to walk away.

Brian's View

I was breathing heavily as Nicole walked around me. Everything that she had just told me was bouncing around in my head. I couldn't analyze it all. She had just told me that she was an angel. I real live angel. Did I believe her? As crazy as it may seem, I did. I believed every word she said. Why may you ask? It was in her eyes. Her eyes told me that she was telling me the truth.

"Nicole," I said turning around to stop her. I only turned around to face an empty field. I was too late. She was gone.