- Text Size +
Nicole's View

"Bill are you home?" I called as I set down the new wardrobe I had just picked up.

"There's my girl," he grinned coming up from behind me. I turned around and smiled, giving him a warm hug.

"When did you get back?" he asked.

"Last night," I said. "But I didn't come home cause I just needed some time to think about some things."

He nodded and then pointed to my wardrobe, "Just pick those up?"

"Yeah, they're a little old fashioned don't you think?" I asked picking one of the dresses up. He shook his head and said, "Nah, I think Eugene was right on this one. We should dress more appropriately."

"Yeah, but we're just following the angel stereotype," I said tossing the dress back down.

"Nothing wrong with that," he said.

"I just think it's stupid," I said simply. He lightly smiled and said, "Don't tell me you don't think they're beautiful."

"No, I think it's beautiful," I said as I looked down at the long white dress with gold threading around the chest area. He reached out his hand and lightly touched my face.

"You seem different," he said. I looked over at him and found him smiling. "Looks like the transformation has begun."

"Huh?" I asked looking at him strangely.

"That reminds me, did you say you left last night?"

I nodded.

"Weren't you supposed to come home today?" he asked.

"Yeah, but things happened..." I said quietly.

"Like what?" he asked.

I shrugged and said, "Doesn't matter does it?"

"Of course it does, especially in your case."

"Bill, you know what happened. I bet all of you were watching me," I mumbled.

"As a matter of fact we were ordered not to watch you for the last few days."

"What, why?" I asked surprised.

He grinned and said, "Doesn't matter does it?"

I groaned, "Fine, if I tell you what happened will you tell me why you and everyone else were ordered to not watch me?"

"Sure thing," he said.

"OK," I said taking a deep breath and then stopped. "Bill, Eugene knows about what happened."

"Does she now? Well, I've heard she's been doing some sneaking around," he said, frowning slightly. "But don't you worry. Now tell me what happened."

I sighed and fidgeted with my hands, "I told Brian everything."

"Everything?" he asked. I nodded.

"Be a little bit more specific."

"I told him I was an angel. I told him everything," I said. He looked at me rather shocked. I frowned and looked down.

"You are in love with him," he said not really to me but to himself. I looked up at him and found him smiling.

"What?"

"I didn't really want to believe it. Well I couldn't really cause it hasn't happened in so long, but you do. You really are in love with him."

"How did you know that?" I asked. "I thought you couldn't watch me."

"Nicole, I've been living here for at least 2,000 years. I think I would know when someone is in love with a human, especially my girl. Besides, no angel can tell the human they are helping or protecting, or any human for that matter, who or really what they are. Some may get the urge to tell them, but they simply can't due to one of our barriers. The barrier of secrecy. It stops explaining who or what we are to humans, but there's an exception, like there's an exception for all our barriers. When one of us falls in love with a human, the barrier is broken for that one person."

"Why?"

"Human emotions," he said simply. "We don't contain really any human emotions except happiness as you already know. That's another one of our barriers. Of course that barrier is broken. Well, not broken, but slightly bent at times for most of us. When we frown or when we become a little sad or worried, even angry, the barrier is bent. It's not too harmless. When you fall in love, something begins to happen; a transformation. Human emotions are once again created in your body and those emotions don't bend, but break that barrier.

Now this transformation will only go so far. I say you're in the middle of it and the only way to complete the transformation is for you to make a decision. Pretty soon, your transformation will come to a halt for at least a day. That's when you have to make your decision."

"What decision?" I asked. He smiled, "I thought you already knew."

I shook my head slowly.

"To become a human or stay an angel of course."

My mouth slightly dropped open as I stared at him blankly. Did he just say I had the choice to become human?