- Text Size +
A Week Later

Brian's View


"Yo Rok, what's up with you and Nicole?" Nick's questioning voice said through the phone. I laid back on the couch and picked up the remote.

"Nothing, why?" I asked, playing around with the buttons.

"Nothing? Hah! You guys have been spending a lot of time together."

"Your point? Everyone has. You're the one that took her to a movie yesterday," I said.

"My point is, is that you've been spending more time with her than any of us. Are you guys going out and just aren't telling us?" he asked suspiciously.

"Dude, we're just friends!"

"Mmm hmm."

"What, you don't believe me?"

"I believe you guys are friends, but I think there's something else going on," he said.

"Like what?"

"You guys like each other so there's gotta be something juicy going on."

"Well, there's not."

"Yet."

"Shut up man. Look, Nicole and I are just friends. So what if we spend a lot of time with each other? It's true, I like her. It doesn't mean she likes me too."

"You're an idiot if you don't think she likes you back," Nick stated bluntly.

"Well, does she?"

"I dunno."

"See! You don't even know!"

"I think she likes you. So does everyone else."

"What have you guys been doing? Calling late night meetings to talk about me?"

"No, it's just been brought up a couple times. We think you two should hook up. It would do you some good."

"I don't think that is such a good idea," I said.

"Why the hell not? You like her, we all think she likes you. What's wrong with it?" he asked. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. I didn't say anything back.

"Bri...you're still hooked on Leigh aren't you?" Nick asked slowly. I bit my lip and shut my eyes tight. I was hoping he wouldn't bring her up. It hurts to just think about her.

"Brian?"

I still didn't answer. I knew that if I talked, he probably wouldn't be able to hear me. A lump had formed in my throat and if I talked I knew that I would start crying.

"Brian...I'm sorry I shouldn't have mentioned her..." Nick apologized sincerely.

"No..." I said barely audible for him to hear. I cleared my throat and breathed out shakily. "No, it's OK. Really it is."

"No, it's not. Not when even her name makes you upset. Are you still in love with her?"

"What do you think?"

"Why?"

"Why? WHY? You'd think that'd be obvious. She's the only woman that has ever made me feel complete. She's the only woman that I have given my heart to like I did her. She's the only woman that I have ever felt love for. God Nick, you have no idea how much it hurts to have the woman you thought was your soul mate leave you!"

Nick didn't say anything for a minute or so and then he spoke up softly, "You need to let her go."

"Let her go? I didn't have to! She already left!" I yelled, afterwards clicking the "Talk" button. I threw the phone across the living room, clenching my jaw tightly. The phone smashed against the wall and came crumpling down to the floor. I tried to hold back the tears that were wanting to escape. There was no use in holding them, they were going to fall sooner or later...so I let them fall.

"God please help me," I pleaded through my tears.

Nicole's View

"Hey Hey!" I greeted jumping on Madeline's bed.

"Why are you so happy today?" Madeline asked as she put down her nail polish.

"I dunno," I shrugged sitting down next to her.

"Yeah right. Must be a good day for you. You goin' over to Brian's later?" she asked blowing on her index finger to quicken the drying process.

"Yup, we're gonna watch a movie tonight," I grinned.

"Are you getting anywhere with him?" she asked turning serious. I bit my lip and looked down, fiddling with my hands.

"You haven't have you?" she asked. I just shook my head slowly.

She sighed and said, "It isn't easy huh?"

I shook my head again.

"But are you getting anywhere at all?"

I looked up into her hopeful face and said, "Well...maybe a little bit."

"How much is a little bit?"

"Well, he's become fond of me."

"Fond of you? That's it?"

"Yeah, gosh Maddy. It's harder than I thought! He simply won't tell me anything! He won't open up! What do I have to do? Beat it out of him? I know I'd get in trouble for that but jeez, it's so hard!" I exclaimed slapping my leg.

She grabbed my hand and said, "I have never heard that it was easy. You knew that it was going to be hard."

"Yeah, but not this hard. Everything I ask him, he answers back with a complete lie. He doesn't know that I know but...URGH!" I grunted laying back on the bed. Madeline patted my leg and said, "Don't give up. You've only been talking to him for a week. It takes time."

"But I don't have time!"

"Yes, you do."

"How much?" I asked. She shrugged and said, "I haven't heard."

"See! That's why I'm so nervous! I don't have a deadline! It could be next month when I have to have it done!"

She looked down at me and said, "It won't be that soon and you know it."

"How long did you have with Kevin?"

"5 months," she replied. I groaned and said, "How long did it take you?"

"3 months. Nikki, he's gotta start to trust you. That won't happen in a week."

"I know...I know," I said quietly.

"Try not to worry about it OK? You won't be in trouble until it gets nearer to the deadline."

"What will happen to me?"

"Depends," she shrugged.

"You say it as if you don't care!" I exclaimed, frustrated. She laughed good heartedly and said, "Girl, chill! It's not like you're gonna go to hell. Look, I have never known a person to fail OK? You're going to do just fine! It's been a week. From what I have seen and heard, you've been doing a good job. And you know what Melanie told me?"

"What?"

"She said that Brian's beginning to really like you."

"I knew that though Maddy."

She smiled at me and said, "Well, he is cute. I wouldn't mind him liking me."

"But isn't it wrong for him to like me? Wouldn't I be hurting him more?" I asked worriedly.

"It's not wrong for the person to like you. Kevin liked me, but he got over it as soon as I left, just as Brian will get over you when you leave. Now love...love isn't a good thing."

"What if he does fall in love with me?" I asked. She laughed and said, "Nikki, he's not going to fall in love with you. There's no way! I have never known of someone falling in love with one of...us."

"Is it possible?" I asked curiously. She licked her lips and thought for a moment and then soon shrugged, "I don't think it is."

"Alright," I said. "But Maddy, do you have any advice for me? Anything at all? This is my first time. I'm afraid I'm gonna screw up along the way."

She squeezed my hand and said softly, "Never give up and..."

She stopped and looked down.

"And what?" I pushed. She looked up into my eyes and said so softly it was barely audible for anyone in earshot to hear, "Don't fall in love..."