- Text Size +
**July 1 2002**

“Oh Canada, our home and native land. True patriot love, in all son’s command!”

The 4 Gurlz were parading around the block, wearing red and white and carrying various signs that they had just drawn up. It was a tradition; they did this every Canada day. Even though, this year they were in the USA at the time, but that just made even more fun.

“Hey, Soph, remember that one year?”

“1999?” Joce interrupted Steph, who sighed.

“Yes, Joce, 1999. Anyways…” She turned back to Sophie. “Remember my Y2K – Half a year away, are you prepared? Sign?”

Sophie giggled as Charline and Joce continued singing. “Yeah, and I had a sign beside yours that said ‘Ignore her sign.’”

“That was funny.”

Suddenly, Charline burst out laughing and fell to the ground.

“What?” The others asked, confused, although this kind of stuff always happened. The four of them would be talking normally and one of them would burst out laughing for no apparent reason. When they would calm down, they’d explain why to the others, and in the end, everyone would be laughing their heads off. It was one of the girls’ many routines.

“Remember when you guys were pushing me in shopping cart one year, and I was holding the huge Canada flag?” She giggled.

Steph Joce and Sophie burst into a fit of giggles as the image of Charline helplessly sitting in the shopping cart came back to them. They flopped down beside Charline, but unfortunately, they had flopped down on some lady’s lawn, she came out and started screaming at them.

“I’M GOING TO TELL THE MEDIA ABOUT THIS!!! The ENTIRE WORLD WILL HATE YOU WHEN THEY FIND OUT ABOUT THE HORRIBLE THINGS THAT YOU DO!!!”

“Whoa, chill out, it’s only grass.” Joce exclaimed, and pulled a ten-dollar bill out of her pocket. “Here, go buy some more grass seeds if you’re that concerned.”

This enraged the woman, and she threw the bill right onto Joce’s face. “This is dirty Canadian money!” She yelled. “Get out of my sight!”

“Well duh, its Canada day.” Joce replied under her breath as the others made their way back to Aaron’s house. When they stepped inside they started giggling and imitating the lady.

Aaron looked up from his Harry Potter book and eyed them strangely. “What kind of mischief did you guys turn a simple Canada parade into?” He asked.

“Charline fell on some lady’s yard and she started screaming at us.” Sophie giggled, and the others nodded. Aaron shook his head in disbelief.

“You guys are so stupid.” He chuckled, walking into the kitchen. “Steph!” He called.

“What?”

“Nick left this for you.” He said, coming back into the front room and handing her a folded piece of loose-leaf.

“Oh, okay.” She replied, unfolding it and beginning to read.

Steph-
You and the others left too early to go marching. I’m going to San Francisco for the night with Mom, Dad, B.J. and Leslie. Aaron didn’t want to come and I know you four have the photo shoot with Teen People the afternoon downtown. I’m hoping you’ll be the responsible one and not burn down the house. I’ll see you tomorrow. Love ya.
-Nick


“Blah, I wouldn’t burn the house down.” Steph exasperatedly said. “Stupid Nick.” She mumbled, and then she got this glazed look over her eyes. “No… Nick's not stupid, he just acts…” Steph continued mumbling as she walked out of the room.

Sophie started running upstairs to change her clothes. “Remember, we have the Teen People thing today!” She called throughout the house.

**That Evening**

“I hate wearing make-up.” Charline complained as she scrubbed her face. The girls had just returned from their photo shoot and interview.

“I feel like going to a movie.” Joce said, flipping though the paper, looking for ideas. At that moment Aaron came walking into the room.

“Whoa, Char, what happened to your face?” He laughed, Charline glared at him.

“Shut up, I hate make-up.” She muttered, scrubbing even harder.

“I wanna see the new Star Wars!” Steph exclaimed, snatching the paper from Joce. “It starts in an hour.” She stated, reading the paper. “That means it will end around one a.m.”

Sophie nodded. “We better get going, then. Who else is coming?”

Charline shook her head. “I hate Star Wars. That guys breathing is annoying.”

“I’ll stay with Char.” Aaron said.

“You guys will be okay?” Steph asked, suspiciously. Sophie rolled her eyes.

“The only reason you’re asking that is because Nick told you to be the responsible one.” She accused.

“No kidding!” Steph replied, picking up her bag. “Okay, let’s go. See you guys later.” She called as her, Sophie and Joce walked out of the room.

“So, what do you wanna do?” Charline asked, once she was finished scrubbing her face.

“We could go swimming.” Aaron suggested, as he gazed out the window. Charline shook her head.

“No, I think we should wait until it’s darker. It would be more romantic.” She grinned. “We could play speed until it’s dark enough.”

Aaron checked his watch. “Alright, it’s nine-fifteen now. So we’ll be playing for about an hour.”

Charline shrugged. “Works for me.” She smiled, searching through the desk drawers for a pack of cards. “I’m gonna kick your ass.”

“No, I believe it’s your ass that will be kicked.” Aaron laughed as they sat down and began to play.

**11:00 p.m.**

“SPEED!” Charline screamed at the top of her lungs. “Haha Aaron! The score is 51 to 49 for me!! No tie breaker, cause I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” She squealed, and then she started jumping and dancing around the room.

“I am the champion, I am the champion, no time for losers, cause I am the champion!!” She sang as she danced around.

Aaron rolled his eyes and cleaned up the cards. “It’s dark enough now, Char. Wanna go swimming?” He asked, putting the deck back in the desk drawer.

Immediately she stopped dancing. “Yes!” She yelled as she ran upstairs to her room at full speed. Aaron softly chuckled to himself, and he followed her.

Aaron knocked on her door shortly after, grabbing a towel and putting his swimming trunks on. “Are you ready?” He asked.

“Yes, I’m just putting sunscreen.” She replied. “You can come in.”

Aaron laughed, as he opened her bedroom door. “Char, it’s dark out remember?”

Charline thought for a moment before applying sunscreen to her nose. “Oh yeah!” She realized, and put down her bottle of sunscreen. She grabbed her towel and wrapped it around herself. Alright, I’m ready.”

The steps on the way down to the beach were wobbly and about to fall apart, so Charline grabbed a hold of Aaron’s hand. Aaron smiled at her and she grinned back.

“You know what Steph’s favourite song is?” Charline asked, looking at the moon.

“What, Char?” Aaron asked, wondering the relevance of this to their swim.

“Some song called, Moonlight Desires. It’s like, from the eighty’s or something, and she wants us to re-make it, but I don’t want to because it sucks.”

“Oh.” Aaron replied, deciding to dismiss Charline’s strange comment. “Let’s go in the water.”

“No.” Charline replied, an evil gleam twinkling in her eyes, either that, or the moonlight was flickering in them. Whatever it was, it sure made her look mysterious. “Let’s go skinny dipping.”

Aaron almost choked on his own spit when he heard that. “W…what?” He asked, wanting to make sure he had heard her correctly. He was now learning Charline’s outgoing, carefree personality.

“Let’s go skinny dipping.” She repeated, pronouncing each word slowly and carefully, to make sure he understood. When Aaron still looked dumbfounded, she started to explain. “You know, when you go swimming without-”

“I know what it is!” Aaron interrupted her. “Alright.” He whispered.

Charline grinned evilly as she wrapped the towel around herself after slipping out of swimsuit. “Come on, you wuss.” She joked. Luckily, it was pretty dark so neither of them could see each other that well.

Aaron turned away from Charline and took off his swimming trunks, then wrapped the towel around his waist and glanced back at Charline.

“You have a cute butt.” She said in approval, giving him the thumbs up sign.

“Thanks.” He blushed. Before he could say another word, Charline was running for the water and she threw off her towel at the last second. Then she swam out up to her shoulders. “Come on, Aaron!” She called out to him. “It’s really nice.”

Aaron sighed and let his towel drop to his feet. Mentally, he thanked God for the darkness as he stepped out into the lake. He jumped back as the cold water touched his foot. After a couple seconds, he decided to grin and bear it, and he ran into the water. “Shrinkage.” He mumbled as he dived under.

“Gah!” Charline cried out as Aaron grabbed her leg from under water.

“Boo!” Aaron yelled as he came up, and then he splashed her. “Take that!”

“Oh my God! Aaron, look!” Charline screamed, pointing to the land.

“What?” Aaron asked, turning around to face the land. Charline jumped on his back.

“Gotcha, you putz.” She giggled, kissing his neck.

“You know, Steph would get mad at you, for using her word...” He mumbled, turning his head and connecting his lips with hers.

Ten seconds later, Charline broke their kiss by somersaulting off his back. “Let’s swim.” She grinned. “We can make out later.”

**1:30 a.m.**

“Luke, I am your father.” Steph spoke in a low voice, imitating Darth Vader

“That didn’t happen in this one, you idiot.” Sophie pointed out. Joce shook her head, and Steph nodded.

“I know, who said I was imitating this one?”

Sophie rolled her eyes. “Whatever, I’m tired, are you guys going to bed soon?” She asked, while she trotted up the flight of stairs like a zombie.

“Soon.” Steph replied, walking over to the computer room to check her email.

One minute later, Sophie came jogging back down the stairs. “You guys.” She whispered. “The cutest thing is upstairs, you have to come see.”

Steph and Joce followed her back upstairs, and they stopped in front of Charline’s room. Sophie slowly opened the door, careful, so it wouldn’t squeak, and peered inside.

“Awww.” Steph whispered.

“They’re so adorable.” Joce gushed, and Steph and Sophie nodded in agreement.

“I know. It’s such a Kodak moment.”

The three stood in silence as they watched Charline and Aaron peacefully sleeping in each other’s arms; the quilt ruffled around them. The moonlight bled in through Charline’s open window and shone right on them. Not even the finest camera could capture the warmth of the scene.