- Text Size +
**July 2 2002**

“Whoever that is get the hell off my bed before I kick your ass when I finally decide to get up.” Steph grumbled after Nick jumped on herbed.

“Wake up, it already eleven! Besides, I brought you back something.” Nick laughed, tossing a white ‘San Francisco’ t-shirt on her head.

Steph sat up and held the shirt up in front of herself. “A souvenir from a trip I never went on!” She smiled. “Now you’re forgiven for leaving without telling me.” She said, kissing his check.

Nick pretended to be disgusted and wiped off her kiss. “How could I? You guys left before I woke up.”

“You could have left a note!”

“I did!”

“Oh yeah.” Steph giggled, after thinking for a moment. “How was San Francisco?”

“Boring.” Nick replied, shaking his head. “Me and the guys had to re-record As Long As You Love Me for out greatest hits album, because A.J. doesn’t sing in the original.” He explained, sighing and running his hands through his hair. “And, you know my voice was way higher back then, so it was really hard.”

Steph nodded, and then changed the subject. The last thing she wanted to talk about at the moment was being in the recording studio. In a few months, her and the other girls would be back in there to start recording their second album.

“Ugh.” She groaned, flopping back down, and covering her face with a pillow.

“What?” Nick laughed, pulling the pillow off her head.

“Our second album will never get out.” She sighed. “We take so long in the studio, and we always mess up.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Nick soothed. “Come down for breakfast soon, ok?” He said before leaving. Steph nodded, and wondered how she could go from having the world’s most horribly boyfriend, to the world’s most caring boyfriend. Smiling, she put on her robe and slippers, and started on her way down to the kitchen.

As she passed Charline’s room, she saw her friend sitting on her bed knees tucked up to her chest. She was just sitting there, staring at the ground. She had that same lovesick glazed look in her eyes that she did when Aaron when Aaron walked into her room and took her down to the beach two months ago.

“Char?” Steph asked, coming into the room. “Are you ok?”

“Perfect.” Charline said, still staring at the ground and still off in space.

Steph knew better, she knew that something must have happened, but she didn’t press any further. Charline would tell them when the time was right – unless Steph was just over-reacting. It was just that she didn’t want the same thing that had happened to her to happen to anyone else. Although, Charline didn’t look upset…so everything seemed to be in order. Still…

“Okay, well, come down for breakfast when you’re ready.” She said, before walking out.

*

“Something’s up with Char.” Steph said as she walked into the kitchen. She didn’t add anything about her suspicions since Jane Carter was sitting at the table, sipping coffee while Joce, Nick and Angel munched on toast.

Steph shot Nick a look that told him something was really wrong. Nick got the message and stood up to leave. “I’m gonna go wake up Aaron.” He said, casually before leaving the kitchen a jogging up the stairs to Aaron’s bedroom.

“Aaron, can I come in?” Nick asked, in a slightly more annoyed tone than he would have liked, while he knocked on the door.

“Yeah, sure.” Aaron replied. Nick opened the door, walked in and sat down on Aaron’s bed. He watched as his brother gelled his hair.

“You’re doing it the way Charline likes it.” Nick pointed out, testing what Aaron’s reaction would be.

“Yeah, so?” Aaron questioned, trying his best to sound casual. It didn’t work that well, he just sounded nervous.

“The question is, why are you doing it the way Charline likes it? And why do you seem so scared?” Nick asked, raising his eyebrow, answering Aaron’s question with another question. When he got no reaction, he tried a different approach. “Aaron, I’m going to be blunt.” He sighed. “What happened with you and Charline last night?”

Aaron turned bright red, hoping Nick wouldn’t notice. No such luck, he saw in the mirror.

“You didn’t.” Nick said, narrowing his eyes. Aaron didn’t reply. “Aaron! Say something.” He said sternly.

Aaron turned around to face Nick. For years, they had shared everything. Suddenly, to no apparent reason, Aaron felt unusually shy. “It’s none of your business.” He mumbled, not believing himself as the words left his lips.

“Listen Aaron.” Nick breathed, trying to sound calm. “Tell me every detail of what happened last night.”

Aaron took a deep breath. “Char and I were alone in the house until late, because Steph, Sophie and Joce went to see a movie.” He said in a small voice.

“Go on.” Nick pressed, crossing his arms and standing up.

“And we went for a midnight swim.” He continued, looking everywhere possible, except for Nick’s eyes. “But it was more like a midnight…skinny dip.”

Nick held up a hand to shush him, but Aaron thought he was going to get slapped. He turned his head to the side a squeezed his eyes shut. Nick shook his head, but he didn’t laugh like he normally would have. “I’ll be frank-”

“Can I still be Aaron?” Aaron interrupted him, trying to lighten the moment. It didn’t work and, if anything, it pissed Nick off even more.

“Whatever floats your boat.” Nick replied through clenched teeth. “Did you have sex with her?”

Aaron shifted his weight form one to the other, stalling as long as her possibly could.

“Aaron!”

Aaron looked timidly, and finally made eyes contact with his brother. “No, Nick.” He lied. “I didn’t-”

That’s the wrong answer.” Nick replied, shaking his head slowly from side to side, showing his aggravation. “Would you care to tell me the right one?”

Aaron bit his bottom lip. “YesNickIhadsexwithCharline.” He mumbled.

Nick took a deep breath and tried to choose his words carefully, not wanting to say anything that he would regret. “Did you… force her?” He finally asked.

“No, Nick.” He answered honestly. “I didn’t.”

Nick sighed. “Well at least that’s good. You were in the water, right?”

Aaron nodded, wondering what Nick was getting at.

“That means you didn’t use anything.” Nick stated, glaring at Aaron, who winced as if he was in pain.

“No, I guess not.”

Nick shook his head. “I’m not happy.”

“I figured that.” Aaron replied. “It just sort of happened… I’m sorry Nick.” He apologized sincerely.

“I know you are. Look there’s nothing I can say now, just remember, you’re only fourteen, and hell, she’s only thirteen! If this gets out, it will ruin both of your careers.” Nick told him, as he started walking out of the room.

“Nick?” Aaron called him back.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t tell anyone, okay? Charline made me promise not to say anything.”

Nick nodded. “I won’t.”

“Not even Steph, Charline doesn’t want the other girls to find out.”

“Alright.” Nick replied, before leaving the room.