- Text Size +
**August 20 2002**

Steph flopped down the Carter’s living room couch and began channel surfing. Three more days were left of their break, and then they were off to start the tour. She couldn’t believe how fast it had gone by. Finally, she left the TV on MTV. It was playing How Do I Live by LeAnn Rhymes Steph leaned back, smiling as she listened to the song, thinking of her and Nick. Her smile faded after realizing she wasn’t going to see him for a while.

Joce walked into the room eating an ice cream sandwich. She took a glance at the TV and smile at her friend. “Don’t worry, Steph, you’ll see him at the Much Music Video Awards in September.”

Steph smiled weakly, but only to please Joce. “I guess.”

Joce flicked off the TV when How Do I Live ended and Pop by *Nsync came on. Steph laughed, then snatched the remote back from her and turned it back on. “I like that song.” She said, or rather, lying on top of the remote.

**Meanwhile**

Aaron sat at the computer, he was extremely bored and so, he was surfing 4 Gurlz fan sites.

Most of the information he already knew, like Charline’s least favorite food, etc. But he thought some of the pictures were cool, especially the ones ‘before they were famous.’

He clicked into the tour section and one sentence seemed to pop out at him.

…they’ll be gone for about seven months, with little or no time for friends and family.

That made Aaron realize something. He wasn’t going to see Charline for a really long time, and sure, everything was great now. (They hadn’t even had one fight.) But what would happen in those months when she was gone? Sometimes, he forgot that the two of them lived miles apart, Aaron in L.A. and Charline in Winnipeg. There was only one solution.

**2:00 pm**

After a lot of thought, Aaron knew that his decision was for the best. Everyone had been wondering what was going on with him. His mind had been gone all day, thinking of his Charline/tour predicament. He had been loosing things, dropping plates while he drying them and spilling water all over the floor. Needless to say, he was a mess.

Now, he stood outside her door. This was the last chance he had to back out, though he knew he had to go through with it. Either that, or they’d both be miserable. Yes, he had made up his mind, this was the right choice. Better he do it now, than right before she leaves. That way, they had time to clear up any misunderstandings that might occur.

Aaron took a deep breath as he knocked on Charline’s door, and waited a couple seconds for her to answer. When she didn’t, he tried again. “Char?” He asked, still knocking on the door.

Sophie came walking by, holing a laundry basket. She and Steph were helping out Jane Carter with the household chores, in thanks for letting them stay there.

“Just go right in, she’s probably just listening to her CD player.” Sophie smiled warmly. “Besides if she were changing or whatever, she probably wouldn’t care.” She winked.

Aaron weakly smiled in return, and his stomach churned. He knew that Sophie was happy her sister had found ‘the perfect boyfriend’ as Charline had told him. Although, at the moment, he felt anything but perfect. “Alright.” He replied, walking into her room, and Sophie continued on her way down the hall.

Sure enough, there was Charline, lying on her back, listening to her Discman, and softly singing along.

“I will be yours if you’ll be mine, I will be there ‘till the end of time, I will be with you until the day that I die, I’ll be yours. I will be yours.”

Aaron cringed, everything that was happening in the past few minutes seemed to be affecting him. It must have been his mind playing tricks. He sighed and walked to the side of her bed, and pulled her headphones off.

“What the – oh, hey Aaron!” She smiled when she saw that it was him. That of course, made Aaron feel worse.

“Hey Char.” He faked a grin, thinking he should have planned this out first. “Looking forward to your tour?”

Charline scoffed. “No way. I’m having the time of my life right here.”

Aaron winced. Charline was on cloud nine, and had no idea that her whole world was about to come crashing down.

“It’s just that I’ll miss you.” She whispered, rolling over onto her stomach. Why was she making this so hard? Okay, this was it; he had to get it over with.

“You realize it’s not going to work out, right?” Aaron asked, looking at the floor. The carpet in her room was brand new, and it was an aquamarine green colour.

“W…what?” Charline asked, not sure she had heard right. No, correction, not wanting to believe her ears.

“I mean, we’re both always on tour.” He explained, feeling his heart crack in half. “We need to break up.”

“Okay.” Charline whispered. To her surprise, she wasn’t crying. She was too shock, but surely, tears would come later.

“Yeah, so, um, bye.” He mumbled walking out of the room and closing the door behind him. He heard Charline put her CD player back on and one again, start singing along. With a heavy heart, he walked downstairs to the kitchen.

“What’s wrong with you?” Steph asked, grinning at Nick as he pulled a piece of grated cheese out of his hair.

“I just broke up with Charline.” He muttered, looking at his hands.

“What?!” Nick exclaimed. “Aaron, what the hell?” He asked angrily. Lately, his brother had been doing really stupid things.

“Well, we would have eventually broken up anyways.” Aaron explained, looking up at Nick; who looked at Steph; who was standing there in shock. Then she ran upstairs.

Sophie stood in front of Charline’s room, peeking inside; since the door was open a crack.

“Look.” Sophie whispered as Steph came up beside her. She pointed inside Charline’s room and whispered again. “She’s writing in her diary, she never writes in her diary.”

That was true. The last time they had seen Charline write in her diary was a year ago at the cottage. And that was when she was starting to like, surprise, surprise, Aaron Carter. You see, Steph and Joce had been convinced that She and Aaron were meant to be since the first time she saw his face on a poster on BOP! Now, Charline doubted their prediction.

“What’s wrong with her?” Sophie asked, obviously, she hadn’t heard the news yet. That was surprising, as it usually traveled quite fast in that house.

Steph sighed. “She’s suffering from and in-curable disease called heartbreak.” She replied, sadly.

Sophie’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Oh no.” She whispered, covering her mouth with her hand. “He didn’t.”

Steph’s sad look confirmed her suspicion. Sophie peered back into Charline’s room. “I’m gonna murder him.” She threatened, walking out of the hall and carefully stepping down the stairs. Step reluctantly followed, knowing that Aaron was hurting just as much, if not more than Charline.

Sophie stomped into the kitchen. And was just about to give Aaron a very large piece of her mind when she saw Nick having a heart– to – heart with him. At that, Sophie turned and left, her presence went un-noticed.

Two seconds later, Steph entered the room. “Sophie?” She asked, not realizing the atmosphere. When Aaron looked up at her with big puffy red eyes she mentally kicked herself, and turned to leave. “I guess Sophie changed her mind.” She mumbled on her way out. Nick rolled his eyes and continued consoling Aaron.

It came down.