- Text Size +
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
Chapter 22 – April 7 2003

“Well here I am again.” Charline thought bitterly, glancing around the familiar bland walls of the hospital room. Only this time, she was in slightly more pain.

Steph opened Charline's door a crack. “You up for visitors?” She asked, coming in with Joce and Sophie.

Charline rolled her eyes. “Do you three travel in a pack or something?” She asked, glaring at them. “No I don't want you to see me, I'm all fat and pregnant.”

Sophie smiled, pushing past Steph who promptly stuck out her tongue. “After today you won't be fat and pregnant anymore.”

“Yeah, but then I'll have a stupid baby to take care of.” Charline whined an the others laughed. “You know what sucks?” She asked, changing the subject.

“What, Char?” Joce asked.

“Aaron broke a really important promise to me.” She sighed sadly, looking at her hands.

“He promised that when you guys had kids, he'd be there?” Steph guessed, and Sophie tried to smack her upside the head, but she was too short.

Charline smiled. “No. He said he'd be there, by my side singing out song and he'd make sure that whatever happened it would turn out okay.”

Joce shrugged. “You can't believe everything that comes out of a guys mouth. He probably just wanted sex.” She said matter of factly.

“But...we already had sex when he promised me that.” Charline persisted, not wanting to make Aaron look bad. Secretly, she wished that Aaron was with her and that they were in this together.

“Speaking of sex...” Sophie grinned, an evil glint in her eye. “What was it like?”

“Yeah, you never got the chance to tell us before,.” Steph giggled, and Joce didn't seem at all interested.

Charline sighed. It didn't hurt as much to think about Aaron anymore. She still loved him, and wanted him back. But now, every time she thought of him her heart didn't ache like it did before. “He was really sweet.”

“Was he really big?” Steoph laughed, and again Sophie tried – and failed to smack her.

“But,” Joce cut in, finally getting a little curious and joining in their conversation. “you were in the lake, so you were like...standing...”

“Didn't he get tired?” Steph asked, moving away from Sophie.

“Is today one of your blonde days?” Sophie questioned and Steph just shrugged.

Charline shook her head. “He didn't get tired until after.”

“How did it happen?” Joce asked, wanting to know more and more.

“I asked him.”

Sophie raised her eyebrow, think that it was a bit stupid. Then again, this was Charline...but still. “So out of the clear blue, you were like 'Hey, you wanna do it?'”

Charline rolled her eyes as if her sister were stupid. “No Sophie.” She sighed. “We were kissing-”

“In the lake?” Jocelyn interjected.

“Yes!” Charline yelled, frustrated because her friends were all stupid. “We were kissing...in the lake, and I asked him if he wanted to.”

“did it hurt?” Sophie questioned.

Charline grinned, looking over at Steph. “It felt like a thousand knives stabbing you all at one. You can't breathe, you can't think, at least not about anything but the pain. Which is why I'm not looking forward to jumping in there after you.”

When she was done, Steph burst out laughing at the fact that Charline a quoted her favourite movie. Soon enough, all hour of them were laughing their heads off.

That is, until Charline stopped and started panicking. “You guys.” She said, her voice filled with worry as the doctors came in. “Problem.”

One of the doctors looked at Charline and smiled. “It's time for you to have the baby.”

Charline shook her head. “No way!” She protested. “I'm not ready yet!”

The other doctor glanced over from the other side of the room. “Well, it wants out now.” She laughed. “Which one of your friends is going to stay?”

Joce put her hand on Steph's shoulder. “You're always good at this kind of thing.” She said before booking it out of there. Sophie just stood in shock, not believing what was going on.

Steph glared at the door where Joce had run out of. “Alright.” She said,sitting in the chair and taking Charline's hand. “Take a deep breath.”

From behind her, she heard Sophie slowly breathe in. “Not you!” She laughed. “Get out of here!” Sophie obeyed and left the room, relieved to be gone.


Aaron took another sip of his iced cappuccino as he walked through the mall. His life had become boring. Since he'd been home, he had nothing to do. Justin didn't call him anymore, and neither did any of his other friends. Aaron was pretty sure it had something to do with him being too depressed all the time over Charline.

“Oh my God!” A fan cried, running over to him and hugging him. “You're Aaron Carter!” She squealed.

Aaron smiled, not wanting to disappoint his fan. “Hi.” He greeted her.

“Hi!” She beamed, but in a flash, she turned serious. “How's Charline? Last I heard, she wasn't doing too good.”

Aaron cringed. Obivously, this girl had no idea that he and Charline were long over. “Oh, she's good.” He replied, even though he really had no clue how she was doing. The last time they'd talked was over the phone sometime in October.

“Oh, can you sign this?” She asked, pulling out a magazine and flipping to a picture of him. Aaron nodded, taking the pen she handed him and proceeded to sign the picture.

There you have it, a typical day in the life of Aaron Carter.


“I see a head!” One of the doctors exclaimed, glancing up at Charline, who was in tremendous pain.

“Is it a boy or a girl?” Charline asked, putting her head up in an attempt to see.

“They can't tell from just the head.” Steph laughed, Charline looked thoughtful.

“Is that why they have birth coaches?” Charline wondered. “So you have someone there to remind you of stuff and so you don;t look like a fool?”

Steph thought for a second. “I guess.”

“Okay Charline.” The doctor said. “One last push and that should be it.”

Charline screamed in pain and Steph gripped her hand. Watching Charline mad eher not want to have kids, ever.

Charline fell back when it was over and the doctors took her baby away to be cleaned up. “Hey Steph.” She managed to say. “I'm not fat and pregnant anymore.”

Steph smiled. “But now you have a stupid baby to take care of.” She joked.

Charline put her hands on her head. “Yeah... maybe it won't be so bad.”

“It's a girl.” The doctor announced, handing Charline her baby.

“Oh my God, she's so cute!” Steph cooed. “I'll go get the others.” She said, leaving the room and Charline and the baby alone.

“Aww.” Sophie smiled as they came in. “What's her name?”

“Alissa Jean Carter.” Charline replied after thinking for a second.

Joce raised her eyebrows. “Are you sure you want her last name to be Carter?”

Charline nodded. “Yes.” She said, handing Alissa to Steph. “If you guys don't mind, I have a really bad headache, I'd like to be alone for a bit.”

Steph nodded. “Sure thing.” She said as they left the room.


Three hours later the girls were all back in Charline's room. Only this time, Charline was hooked up to all sorts of machines.

“Guys.” She spoke in a choked up voice. “I'm going to die aren't I?”

Sophie shook her head, wanting to be brave for her little sister. “No, don't worry Char, you'll be fine.” Truth was, Charline actually had a very small chance of living.

Not believing her, Charline wanted to make every second count. She was glad it was just the four of them (and Alissa) and no one else. Of course she wanted Aaron there, but that wasn't going to happen.

She wished she could have worked things out with him. She wished she had just told him he was pregnant when they'd talked. Now it was too late, her and Aaron were never going to see each other again. Any chance of them getting back together was gone, vanished.

“Guys.” Charline finally spoke. “I want you to take care of Alissa.” She said, and they were all crying silently.

“And.” She continued, starting to speak every word slowly as if they were her last. “If you ever see Aaron again, tell him that I love him.” She said as her eyes closed and the heart monitor went flat.