- Text Size +
**May 10 2002**

Two nights later the girls were having a sleep over in Charline’s room. Since the movie, Aaron and Charline were getting along pretty well.

“Yes, Charline!” You guys were flirting at McDonald’s!” Sophie accused. Joce and Steph nodded, and Charline turned bright red.

“No we weren’t!” She persisted, even though she knew the truth.

“I hate to break it to you Char, but, throwing fries at each other consists as flirting.” Steph laughed.

“Are you gonna ask him out?” Joce questioned, Charline responded by shaking her head.

“I’ll wait for him to ask me.” She said simply, a small smile playing on her lips.

“You know something we don’t know!” Joce accused, and they all moved in closer to Charline, waiting for her to go on.

“I heard him talking to Nick this afternoon, before we went to McDonald’s!” She squealed happily. “He’s gonna ask me!!”

“Really? Awww that’s so cute.” Steph cooed, causing Joce to roll her eyes.

“You know, Aaron is only a year younger than you.” She stated.

Steph nodded. “Yeah… your point being…?”

“You can’t think he’s baby cute!”

“Yes I can! He’s still younger!”

Sophie sighed. “Ugh.”

**Meanwhile**

“Yeah, but how should I ask?” Aaron looked at Nick for support. He had already decided, he was going to ask out Charline tonight.

“Take her to the beach.” Nick suggested.

“Yeah, but what should I say?”

Nick shrugged. “I dunno.”

Aaron was now getting annoyed. Nick wasn’t much help, he pressed a little further, hoping to get something out of him. “Well, how did you get Steph to go out with you?”

Nick chuckled. “Oh, that was really easy. After doing some research, I found out that she liked me since she was eleven.”

Aaron raised his left eyebrow. “And what kind of research was that?”

Aaron scoffed. “Yeah, that’ll really work, Nick.”

“It will!” Nick smiled knowingly. “Don’t worry, I know these things.” Then he pushed Aaron out of the room and locked the door. “Now go.”



Aaron stood outside Charline’s bedroom door. Inside, he could hear them listening to their CD and making fun of each other.

He breathed in and crossed his arms as he knocked on the door. Why was it that everytime he needed to talk to Charline she was hanging out in a bedroom with her friends? But that was all pretty irrelevant now.

“Who is it?” Sophie asked, pausing the CD player.

“Uh, it’s me.” Aaron answered. Mentally, he kicked himself for sounding so stupid.

“Who’s ‘me’?” Joce asked, even though they all knew.

“Aaron.”

Charline’s heart skipped a beat as she asked. “Yeah?”

“Can I talk to you for a minute, Char?”

Sophie giggled, and whispered. “Go on, Char. This is it!” The others nodded, and Charline bit her lip.

“Wish me luck.” She said, crossing her fingers as she went out the door.

“Hey Char.” Aaron said when she came out and shut the door behind her. “Let’s go down to the beach.”

“Ok.” Charline grinned, deciding to stop denying that she liked Aaron and face facts.

He led her down to the beach and they sat one the sand, facing the water. It was a calm night and the only sound that could be heard was the water lapping up to the shore.

Charline was getting antsy. Why were they sitting here in silence? The suspense was killing her. Especially since she knew what was going to happen.

Aaron turned to her. Nick said to speak from his heart, how was he supposed to…suddenly an idea struck him, and he began to sing.

“I will be yours if you’ll be mine, I will be there ‘till the end of time, I will be with you until the day that I die, I’ll be yours. I will be yours.”

Charline’s jaw dropped. The only person that ever sang to her was Sophie, and all it was Happy Birthday, and she didn’t even sing it well. After choking on her words for a second she finally forced out a weak “Yeah.”

“Yeah? Yeah to what?” Aaron asked innocently pretending to be confused. Charline playfully hit his arm.

“You know what.”

“Hey, the abusive girlfriend, are we?” Aaron laughed as she continued to ‘hit’ him.

Charline started laughing even harder and fell on top of him. Their lips brushed, and immediately they fell silent and let nature take it’s course.

“Should we go announce it to them?” Aaron asked, when they broke apart.

“No, not yet.” Charline said as she rested her head on his shoulder. Right now, the world revolved around them. It was as if time had stopped, and they both wanted to stay there forever.