- Text Size +
What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted?
Chapter Six

**June 10 2002**

“Happy one month to you! Happy one month to you! Congratulations on not breaking up! Happy one month to you!” Steph sang as she opened Charline’s curtains the next morning.

Charline stirred and rolled over. “ShutupSteph.” She grumbled.

Steph pulled the quilt off Charline. “Come down for breakfast.” She said before leaving. “And get dressed!” She called, as she went back down to the kitchen, humming the entire way.

Charline groaned and rolled out of bed once Steph was gone. She put on her robe and pulled her hair back into a messy ponytail before leaving to go downstairs.

When she turned the corner into the kitchen, everyone started singing the same song Steph was. On the table, there was a stack of French toast with a single candle sticking out. Sitting in the chair at the end of the table was Aaron, wearing a paper birthday hat with a very disturbed look on his face.

Charline giggled, sat down and blew out the candle. Everyone clapped – including Aaron.

“Welcome to Nick’s-”

“And Steph’s!”

“And Joce’s!”

“Bed and-” Nick tried to continue, but was again interrupted.

“And Sophie’s!”

Nick sighed. “Welcome to Nick, and Steph, and Joce, and Sophie’s bed and breakfast. If there’s anything you need, just ring the bell.” He said in a perfect French accent, referring to the little bell sitting on the table. Then he shoved the girls out of the kitchen, leaving Charline and Aaron alone.

Charline put a piece of French toast on her plate, stuck a bit in her mouth and syrup went running down her chin. Aaron laughed and Charline flashed her innocent smile. Then she wrinkled her nose and rang the bell.

In the space of five seconds, everyone came running back into the kitchen. “How can we help you?” They asked in unison.

“This is Honey Bee, get me the Maple Syrup.” Charline commanded, pointing at the fridge.

Steph saluted her, but Joce got to the fridge first and handed Charline her correct syrup. A playful glare sent at Joce by Steph, and once again, the two were left along again.

As Charline drowned her piece of French toast in maple syrup to get rid of the Bee Hive taste, she gave an exasperated groan.

“”What?” Aaron asked, reaching for his second piece.

Charline giggled. “You know, Steph said she would get us back.”

“For what?” Aaron inquired, mouth full of French toast.

“Okay, on hers and nick’s six month, we sent them out on a picnic on an inflatable boat. But, they both didn’t know how to row, and they ended up drifting into the middle of nowheresville, and the birds ate Nick’s sandwich. In the end, they had to use Nick’s cell, luckily it had a long range, to call the coastguard to come save them.”

Aaron was clutching his sides from laughing. “Nick never told me that!” He said before ringing the bell again. Like before, everyone ran into the room at once.

Aaron handed Nick a piece of dry French toast. “Don’t let the birds get it!” He laughed and everyone, (except for Nick, who had the same disturbed look Aaron had before) joined him.

When they were left alone again, Charline and Aaron stuck their forks in the last remaining piece of French toast.

“You take it.” Aaron said, pulling his fork out.

“Ok!” Charline smiled taking the piece of French toast and drowning it, like the other in maple syrup.

“So what are you doing tonight?” Aaron asked. Charline shrugged, wiping syrup off her forehead.

“We could go to the olive garden.” Aaron suggested. Charline nodded her head fiercely, but her mouth was so stuffed she couldn’t say anything.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Aaron chuckled, and stood up to leave. “I’d kiss you, but I hate maple syrup.” Again, Charline nodded, as she put another bite of French toast in her mouth.

**That Evening**

Charline admired herself in her full-length mirror; she was wearing a tight white halter-top with a knee length black skirt. She also had done her own make-up, but it was baby blue, and though it looked good, Charline was the kind of person to dress nice and care about putting on make-up. She especially hated photo shoots for this reason. She was more comfortable in track pants and a t-shirt.

“You look so pretty!!” Joce gushed as Charline came down the stairs. Steph nodded in agreement.

Sophie scoffed; she was in a bad mood because Dawson’s Creek was cancelled for a baseball game. “It looks ugly on you Char.”

Charline wasn’t about to let Sophie make her angry and ruin her night. “Shut up you fruit cup.” She said, sticking out her tongue and walking over to Aaron. “Do I look ok?”

“You look ravishing.” He assured her. Charline didn’t know what ‘ravishing’ meant, but she assumed it was a good thing, so she didn’t question it.

“You look hot.” She replied, and everyone laughed a little at her cuteness. “I like your hair like this.” She commented, referring to Aaron’s gelled forward hair.

Aaron chuckled and put his arm around her waist. “Come on Nick. Let’s go!” He called. Charline was confused.

“Nick’s coming?” She asked.

As if on cue, Nick came walking down the stairs, wearing a black suit and a black hat.

“Nick’s you chauffer.” Steph explained.

“Oh, okay.” Charline replied, walking out the door with Aaron at her side. Nick followed them.

“Bye, guys.” He said, following Charline and Aaron.

**Fifteen Minutes Later**

Nick pulled up in front of the Olive Garden and stopped the car for Charline and Aaron to get out. “Hey, Aaron.” He called to his brother before driving away.

“Yeah, Nick?” He asked, coming back to the car and peering in the window at Nick.

“You’re sure they’ll let you in?” He asked, rolling down the window. “Want me to come in with you?”

Aaron shook his head. “Nah, we’re both international superstars. They know who were are and they know we have money.” He said.

Nick nodded. “Call me when you want to be picked up. Have fun!” Nick replied as he rolled up the window and drove away.

“Shall we?” Aaron asked, linking his arm with Charline’s.

“We shall.” Charline answered; as they walked into the restaurant, arm in arm.

“Welcome to the Olive Garden.” The girl at the front stand said. When she looked up, she gasped. “I’ll take you to a secluded booth. Follow me.” She added, picking up two menus and walking towards the back of the restaurant.

“Here you go. I’ll be back to take your order in a few minutes.” The girl said, and walked away.

Aaron opened his menu and flipped through it. “This was nice of her.” He commented, referring to their private booth.

Charline nodded. “Now the papatosy won’t bug us.”

“Papatosy?” Aaron questioned, Charline was always messing up words. “It’s paparazzi.”

“Oh. Whatever. What are you eating?” Charline quickly changed the subject off her bad vocabulary.

“I dunno. Everything looks yummy.” He replied still flipping through the menu. Just then the waitress came up to them holding a pad of paper.

“Ready to order?” She smiled.

“Uh…yeah.” Aaron said. “I’ll have the chicken Parmesan and a coke.”

“Alright.” She said, writing it down. Then she turned to Charline. “And for you?”

“Macaroni and Cheese with breadsticks.” She answered, then added; “And Iced Tea to drink.”

“Okay.” The waitress said, scribbling her order down. “Oh, and Aaron?”

“Yeah?” He asked, sipping on his glass of water that had just been handed to him.

“Tell your brother he can’t rap.” She laughed, walking away. Just before turning the corner, she looked behind her. “I’ll bring your drinks in a sec.”

Charline took a sip of her water and started chewing on the piece of ice. “Ow, that’s cold! Ok, so anyways…”

Aaron laughed. “Charline why are you so funny?” He asked.

“Nu uh.” She denied. “Joce is the funny one, I’m the cute one, Sophie’s the mature and Steph’s the crazy one.”

Aaron smirked. “And you source on that is…?”

“Teen Beat.” She replied matter of factly.

“Oh, well then.” He retorted.

A few minutes later, the girl returned with their drinks. “Don’t worry, your food is coming soon.”

Once she left, Aaron sipped his coke. “She’s very star struck, isn’t she?”

“What’s star struck?” Charline asked before taking a sip of her iced tea.

“It’s when you get all shocked and stunned when you see a famous person.” Aaron explained.

Charline scrunched up her face and looked down at her Iced Tea. “Eww.” She said in disgust. “This is nasty.”

Aaron sighed, shaking his head, Charline was so cute. “It’s not like Canadian Iced Tea.” He explained. “It’s literally Iced Tea here. Not sweetened.”

Charline nodded. “Oh, I’ll change that, then.” She replied, grabbing one of those mini packs of sugar, tearing it open and pouring the contents into her Iced Tea.

After taking a sip, she nodded in satisfaction. “Perfect.”

Aaron shook his head. “Char, you’re nuts.” He laughed. “But I love ya.”

Charline bobbed her head while drinking her – now sweetened – Iced Tea. “I know.” She smiled after setting her glass back on the table. “I also love you.”

Aaron smiled. “Usually, people say I love you too.”

“But I’m not other people.”

Ten more minutes passed of Charline making grammar mistakes and Aaron correcting her. Finally, after was seemed like forever to both, their food arrived.

“It looks awesome. Thanks.” Aaron grinned, as his plate was set down in front of him.

“You’re welcome. Give me a shout if you need anything.” The waitress said, and walked away.

They ate their meal in total silence. The only thing that happened was Charline burped, which caused Aaron to start laughing while he was drinking his coke, and that caused his coke to spray all over his face.

When they finished, the waitress brought their check, and said just to leave the money on the table. Aaron paid and signatured the bill. He passed it to Charline and motioned for her to sign it as well. She did, and left a $30 tip.

They walked out of the restaurant, down the street to a payphone. While Aaron was talking to Nick, Charline stared up at the clear blue sky. Everything was perfect, and things could only get better.