- Text Size +
**June 22 2002**

“I’m so excited!” Sophie gushed as the girls stood in Joce’s bedroom, admiring themselves in the mirror. Tonight The 4 Gurlz, along with The Backstreet Boys and Aaron Carter were heading to the MTV VMA’s.

“Steph, you were right.” Joce mumbled, eyeing Steph’s dress. It was a loose black sparkly sleeveless turtleneck. “You did get a dress like you towel.”

“That’s right.” Steph agreed, turning to the side. “I especially like how it slits up the side…it reminds me of my towel.”

“Oh, God.” Sophie groaned. “You guys are idiots, let’s go.”

“WAIT!” Charline called as the other walked out of the room.

“What, Char?” Joce asked, turning around.

“Does my hair look ok?” Charline patted the bun sitting at the back of her head.

“It looks fine.” Joce replied, rolling her eyes at her self-consciousness. “Do you have your pink leather thing?” She asked. The girls were performing their new song, ‘How About That?’ Which was already number one on the Billboard charts. They were proud because they wrote it themselves a few years ago in Charline’s bedroom.

**At The VMA’s**

“…and speaking of horrible group names, here’s The 4 Gurlz performing the equally horrible song, ‘How About That’.” Chris Rock, the host introduced the girls.

The four of them ran up on stage in matching skimpy laced-up leather outfits. Charline fidgeted in hers, she hated those things with a passion and wanted to murder their manager for making them look to Spice Girlish. Sophie was in baby blue, Joce had royal purple and Steph wore sunshine yellow.

“It I can’t have anybody else…” Sophie sang gripping her microphone tightly.

“I’d rather have you!” The other joined in. After three minutes the song was over and The 4Gurlz hurriedly left the stage before Chris Rock could make another crack about them.

A good twenty minutes later, The 4 Gurlz were sitting back in their chairs, once again in ‘normal’ clothing. They were sitting beside O-town and Dan kept making passes at Sophie, who was utterly disgusted. The camera was on them for a second, and Charline pointed at it and yelled. “It’s the papatosi!”

“No, Char, that’s paparazzi.” Sophie corrected her once the camera was gone.

“Oh.” She shrugged. “Oh well.”

“Shut up you guys they’re about to announce the nominees for the best pop video.” Joce shushed them, and immediately, they faced the faced the front.

“The nominees for best pop video are,” Dr. Dre announced. “Backstreet Boys – If You Knew What I Knew. Nsync – If I’m Not The One. O-town – Every Six Seconds. Britney Spears – When Your Eyes Say It and The 4 Gurlz – Don’t Say A Word.”

“And the winner is…” Eminem opened the envelope. “Britney Spears – When Your Eyes Say It.”

“Poopey.” Charline grumbled as Britney went up to the stage and gracefully accepted her award. Charline was about to bring her knees up to her chest, but Sophie stopped her. One thing about Charline was that she could be a sore loser.

About a half hour later, The Backstreet Boys walked up on to the stage to present the award for best female video.

“The nominees are;” Brian started.

“Britney Spears – When Your Eyes Say It.” Howie said.

“Destiny’s Child – Bootylicious.” A.J. announced.

“The 4 Gurlz – Don’t Say A Word.” Nick smiled.

“Pink, Christina Agulira, Mya and Little Kim for Lady Marmalade.” Kevin stated.

“And the winners are;” Nick said as he opened the envelope.

“The 4 Gurlz, for Don’t Say A Word!” They announced in unison. The song played as the girls got up to accept their award. They were ecstatic, the year before, at the MTV VMA’s; they were just starting out and hadn’t been invited. Now, they were international popstars who were beating out huge acts such as Destiny’s Child and Britney Spears. Needless to say, huge grins were plastered on their faces as they stepped up to the stage.

“Um, we want to thank out manager Keegan Chandar for helping us get out start. Without him, Char wouldn’t be able to sing.” Joce grinned as she took the planet man from Brian.

“And to all the people back in Winnipeg who didn’t believe in us. Haha, you should have been nicer.” Steph laughed, wiping her mouth after Nick kissed her. Joce snickered and Steph rolled her eyes. “No really though, you gave us the power to prove you wrong, so thanks.” She added more seriously.

“Thanks to our parents for believing in us.” Sophie smiled.

“Especially Jim!” They all yelled into the microphone.

Charline stepped up on top of the wooden box in front of the microphone that you used if you were too short. “And last, but definitely not least, thanks to all the fans! Hopefully we’ll see you at the stadiums on our up-coming world tour.”

“So thanks!!” They shouted at they ran off stage, BSB chasing after them.

**At The After Party**

The girls were standing in the midst of international megastars, but to them, they were just four normal girls that didn’t have to go the school anymore. The Backstreet Boys and Aaron Carter soon joined them.

“Your performance was great.” Brian complimented them as they came up to the girls.

“Unlike the AMA’s.” A.J. piped up and once again, Joce playfully hit his arm.

“I especially like your clothes.” Aaron smirked. “Baby pink really is your colour, Char. You should have put your hair in pigtails, too.”

“Shut up.” Charline mumbled, taking a sip of her punch, and then looking up from the floor. “Keegan mad us wear them.”

“Sure.” Nick replied, sarcastically. “Why can’t you dress like that more often?”

Steph scoffed. “Because then we’d look like,” She quickly glanced around. “Britney Spears.”

Nick laughed. “No one said that was a bad thing.”

“Yeah, but then you’d need to get a perm.” Joce giggled.

“Why’s that?” Nick asked, puzzled. He glanced over at the others, who shrugged. No one, but the girls, understood their sense of humor.

“So you’d look like Justin Timberlake!” Steph replied. The other giggled. Nick pretended to be offended.

Just then, Ananda, one of the MTV VJ’s, came to their little clique and started interviewing them.

“Here we are, live with Aaron Carter, The Backstreet Boys and The 4 Gurlz.” She said into the camera, and then turned around to face the three acts. “How are you enjoying the party so far?”

“Great.” Kevin answered, as usual. “We’re meeting a lot of people and having just a general good time.”

Ananda nodded. “Well that’s great.” She smiled. “Now, I’d like to try and clear up some rumors that are going around.” She turned to Steph. “It’s a fact you’re dating, Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter, right?” Steph nodded, and Nick waved at the camera. “Is it true that you’re pregnant?”

Nick almost choked on his drink, Sophie and Joce started laughing uncontrollably and Steph turned bright red. “No…that’s not…possible.” She blushed.

“So, how do you think the rumor came about then?” Ananda prodded. Nick started breathing easier as he recovered.

“Well I think that when you’re a girl in the business, you get perceived as, pardon my language, slut.” Steph replied, trying to sound intelligent, but she just came out sounding stupid. “Honestly, I don’t know where that came from.”

Ananda nodded. “I heard that your opening act on your up-coming tour would be a new boy band. They’re from Winnipeg also and you know them quite well, right?”

Steph blushed harder, and Joce snickered. “Some of us better than others.” She said under her breath.

“What was that?” Ananda asked, holding the microphone to Joce mouth.

“Nothing! I was just making fun of Steph.” She said, now blushing also. The girls were still a little camera shy, and hated saying dumb things in front of an audience of millions. Unfortunately, they did it all the time.

Sophie answered for them, before they ended up looking like total fools. “Yes, their name is Chris and The Rockers. We have known them for years, and we’re very happy for them.” She lied. Truthfully, she hated the record company for making the two Winnipeg bands tour together.

Steph especially hated them. The main guy, Chris had been going out with her just before her and the girls started getting famous. He had forced her into bed with him, and was abusive to her physically and mentally. Steph shuddered at the thought that he could very well be the next BOP! Poster boy of the month.

“Alright girls, thank you.” Ananda smiled as she walked away and started interviewing O-town.

Charline wrinkled her nose. “Poophead Paparazzi.”

“She was an MTV VJ, Char.” Aaron laughed. “But at least this time you said the word right.”

Joce nodded agreed.

Kevin checked his watch. “We’d better go.” He nodded his head at the girls. “It was great to see you four again.”

“Yup.” Sophie replied. “We probably won’t see you again for a while.” She frowned as everyone left his or her separate ways.

“You got that right.” A.J. mumbled.