- Text Size +

Chapter Seventeen


Anita and Nick spent the day together just hanging around, having fun. It was 8 at night by the time Anita made her way to her room laughing. Nick bent and kissed her telling her he would see her later, then left her for the night. Anita smiled as she opened her door and stepped in.

'Gee Anita, I'm so glad you were able to fit me into your busy schedule.'

Anita looked up surprised at the coldness in Brian's voice.

'Brian, gee come on. Nick is my boyfriend. Do you not expect me to spend time with him?'

'That is not the point. I thought you were my best friend but I guess I thought wrong.'

'Please don't do this B, you are my best friend.'

'Think again.'

And with that, Brian turned to leave. Anita grabbed his arm.

'Brian, don't walk out on me, can't we talk about this? Don't you love me anymore?'

Brian just shook her off and walked out the door. He sighed; he didn't know where to go. He shared a room with Anita so he couldn't go to a room to be alone. Her last question rang in his ear. Of course he loved her. That was the problem. He didn't just love her; he was in love with her. He hated that she spent all of her time with Nick and not with him. He walked down the hall looking for a place to be alone for a while.

Anita sat on her bed stunned. Brian had walked out on her. She felt bad; she knew she shouldn't have blown him off. She was so scared that she had lost her best friend. Her heart fluttered as she thought about him. She closed her eyes and reviled past times with him. Brian, who had always been right by her side. When it was her Freshman Homecoming and Spencer had gotten too pushy, Brian had saved her punching Spencer out and taking her home.

Brian sat thinking of the past he shared with Anita, He thought about the time he wanted to do something special for his mom on Mothers Day and how she had taken him shopping and help him find what they thought was the perfect gift.

Anita closed her eyes and every memory she could bring up into her mind had Brian in it. She knew what she had to do. She had to find Brian and make him listen. Suddenly she stopped. She realized that also in every memory she was in love with him. She bit her lip. She was lost. Nick was her boyfriend and she loved him. Didn't she?

The next day


Anita climbed onto the bus. Brian had come back to the room late that night. There were no words spoken between the two. He just changed and lay on the couch and went to sleep. Anita had cried herself to sleep. She didn't want Brian so mad at her. This was the first time ever that he really was mad at her. She sighed and went to find Nick.

'Hey there blondie.'

'Sup cutie pie?'

'Nothing, just tired. Didn't sleep well last night.'

'I know this bunk is small and all, but come on in and try to rest. You're going to make yourself sick if you don't get enough rest.'

She gave him a weak smile and crawled into the small space and lay with him. Soon sleep washed over her.

It couldn't have been very long, but Anita was soon jerked awake by harsh voices whispering. She kept her eyes closed and realized it was Brian and Nick.

'Dude what is your problem?'

'YOU! You are my problem Nick. I can't stand you.'

'Brian please, you are my best friend, if you would just talk to me we could work things out.'

'I have nothing to say to you Nick. Nothing. Forget it we aren't friends anymore. I hate you.'

Then Anita heard Brian's footsteps walk away. She lay still for a few moments and the pretended to wake up. When she looked at Nick, there were tears in his pretty blue eyes.

'What's wrong hon?'

'Don't worry about it baby. It's not your problem ok?'

'I'm here if you need to talk Nick.'

'Thanks baby girl.'

Nick was silent for a few minutes then looked down at her.

'Anita, I was wondering, I mean I love you and all and I was thinking, that is if you feel like it, would you sleep with me?'

She smiled at him.

'Yes Nick, I will.'

3 hours later


'Ugh! Finally. I thought we would never get here!'

Nick smiled at Anita. He loved her dramatic side. He reached for her hand. Suddenly Anita screamed.

'Rachel!'

Nick watched as she ran over to her best friend. Then he noticed Brian glaring at him. He felt his heart sink. He just didn't understand what was wrong with Brian. He took a step towards him but Brian just turned and walked away.

Later on Nick and Anita were alone in Nicks room talking. Soon the talking turned into kissing and things were beginning to go farther. As Anita kissed Nick she thought of something. Brian was the only one she had ever had sex with before and that was a couple of years ago. She pulled back from Nick.

'What's wrong?'

'Nothing, but um I've only slept with one person before and that was a couple of years ago.'

'Baby, I'm warning you that it might hurt somewhat since you haven't done it in a long time. I promise I'll do my best not to hurt you.'

'I know you will.'

'So who was the lucky guy? Anyone I know?'

'Actually yes, it was Brian.'

Nick was shocked. Had these two done everything together?

'Wow, that's cool.'

She laughed and they began to kiss again. Anita was down to her underwear when suddenly the door flew open and Brian walked in.

'Nick, you're right. We do need to talk...'

He stopped suddenly at what he saw.