- Text Size +

Chapter Two


Anita sat on a swing in the playground. Brian stood behind her pushing. She giggled happily. Brian had been gone away on vacation for most of the summer and she had missed him. This year she was in fourth grade and he was in sixth.

'So sweetie, did you miss me that much this summer?'

'Yeah, I guess you could say I did'

She said turning her head to look at him. She then jumped off the swing and took his hand. They walked over to the sandbox and sat on the edge.

'Don't forget to meet me at our special tree so we can walk home together.' he said with a smile.

'I won't forget. Just you make sure that you are actually on time for once in your life'

'Excuse me but who is the one who always makes me wait at least half an hour before she is ready to go hang?' She looked at him innocently.

'I have no idea who you are talking about'

He smiled down at her.

'Go fig.'

She returned his smile and they talked until the bell rang starting school. They walked in together and then parted reminding each other to be at the tree.

Anita could hardly wait until school ended. She bounced up and down in her seat until the bell ending the day rang. She jumped out of her seat and ran to the tree. She looked around. Where was Brian? She wondered. And then he saw him, walking with some girl down the street holding hands.

She stormed after them.

'Brian!'

He stopped hearing her voice calling him. He looked into her face and saw fury in them.

'Anita, baby, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to forget you. By the was this is Carla.'

Anita eyed the girl who was grinning

'Oh Bri honey what a sweet little baby!'

Anita frowned at the girl.

'Excuse me? Baby?'

Carla just smiled and then shared a kiss with Brian. Anita felt her stomach turn. This is not the feeling she wanted to have. She wasn't supposed to be in love with her best friend but she wished she were the one kissing him instead. In anger Anita stormed off. Brian chased after her.

'Baby, what's wrong?'

'Sorry Brian but in case you didn't notice, I’m not a baby anymore.'

He was stunned. He had no idea what he had done wrong.

'I thought you had better taste in people but I guess I was wrong.'

Anger shot through Brian.

'Anita just go home! You're not wanted around when you are acting like a spoiled brat!'

Tears filled her eyes, which made Brian's heart melt. He couldn't believe it. He made her cry after he promised when she was four that he would never make her cry again. Anita turned on her heel and ran home.