- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Most of the ones I am posting here were written years ago from probably 2000-2003
One In The Same by Anita

He watched as her small bare feet stepped onto the blue springy floor. He watched her tiny hands curve gracefully.

After a moment, the soft, classical notes to her music began.

She danced a graceful dance, her expression flowing.

She flipped and tumbled her way into the hearts of her fans. He watched her small, lean body twist and turn.

From behind the notes of the music, above the whispers of the crowd he heard the instructions from her coach.

Howie was amazed at what she could do. He never was really a big gymnastics fan, but today, during a day off he had been bored so he put on the tv and there she was. Shannon Miller.

It hadn’t taken long but soon he was swept into her routines. So far she was in the lead.

He felt a tug in his heart. It wasn't that he felt as if he had fallen in love with her like many of her fans, no the tug was that of understanding.

He watched her finish her routine, watched as she smiled and waved to the crowd, then walk breathless to her coach for a hug.

Howie listened to the screams of her fans. He saw the cameras flashing as boys and girls snapped pictures of their favorite gymnast.

He kept his eyes glued to the tv and watched her face expression.

"And Shannon gets a 9.912 for a beautiful floor routine! Putting her in first for the gold." The announcer said.

Howie watched as Shannon looked on as Dominique Daws took the floor. He watched Dominique and her powerful tumbling. Then he watched as Dominique received a 9.925 for her routine leaving Shannon with a silver medal.

He could see the disappointment in Shannon’s face as she gave a small smile to Dominique and said good job while clapping.

"I understand the disappointment Shannon." He said quietly to the tv.

"People here watching Shannon wonder, is she getting too old for gymnastics? She is almost at the senior citizen age of 19 and has gone on a winning streak of silver medals instead of gold." The tv reporters said.

Howie understood in some ways what Shannon was going through. She was a sports celeb. Living in the limelight, giving autographs and pictures for fans. He knew what it was like not to have a normal childhood like most people.

He also knew how frustrating things could get when people doubted you for your ability as many had done to the Backstreet Boys, and what they were doing to Shannon.

"I love the competition and doing gymnastics. It's what I am and what I love to do." Shannon said on tv to the announcers as she smiled wearing her medals.

Howie felt the same. He loved singing even if he wasn't the most popular. Even when things got tough and people doubted the guys’ ability, they stuck through because it was what they loved.

Shannon continued gymnastics because it was what she loved.

The competition ended and a football game started. Howie sighed and flipped off the tv. He knows times would be rough and times would be great, because that’s how it always was.

In many ways he and Shannon, were one in the same.