- Text Size +
Breaking Up Is Hard to Do by Anita

Aimee McCool sat waiting for her boyfriend Howie to come see her. She had not liked the way he sounded over the phone when he called her.

He seemed very nervous and unsure of himself. She thought back to the phone call.

"Um, Aimee? Hey it's Howie. Listen can I come over? I think we really need to talk."

"Is there something wrong Howie?"

"Listen I need to talk to you about this in person ok?"

"Um, sure, ok..."


Then he had hung up.

She sighed hugging her knees to her chest and rocked herself.

She was afraid of what he had to say to her. They had been together for 2 long years and they had been the best years of her life. She thought back to the day when they first met.

"Honey, you have to go up to that young man Howie. I know it hurts that he beat you in this talent show, but you have to learn how to be a bigger person, no matter how much it hurts," Her mother told her pushing the younger Aimee towards the smiling boy.

"Um, hi. Congratulations." She said softly looking at the floor.

"Thank you. I know this probably doesn't mean anything, but for what it's worth, I think you deserved to win." Howie told her smiling shyly.

Aimee's cheeks heated up as she blushed deeply.

"Thanks..."


No, it hadn't been love at first sight. But as they kept running into each other at talent competitions, both winning their fair share.

Finally after a year of running into each other, he asked her out and she had agreed.

Now here they were, after two years of dating, they needed a serious talk.

There was a knock on her bedroom door.

"Come in." She called soflty.

Her door opened and there he was. Her boyfriend. Howie D. Her Sweet D.

"Um, hey." He said not meeting her eye.

"Hi. Would you like to sit?" She asked hoping her voice didn't sound as pathetic as she felt.

He nodded and sat on the chair by her desk. He clasped his hands in his lap, then finally looked at her.

"Aimee, I'm gonna cut to the chase. Nick and A.J and I decided to form a group. We found two more members, Kevin Richardson and his cousin Brian Littrell. Our group is called the Backstreet Boys and we have a record deal." He blurted.

She blinked. She could not believe what he just said.

"Howie thats great!" She smiled but then noticed that he wasn't sharing her happiness.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked.

"Well sort of..." He looked away.

"Well what is it?"

"The thing is, I think it would be better if we broke up." He said soflty.

She felt her whole world crash around her. Her heart crumbled into a billion pieces. She fought back the tears that she knew were trying desperately to fall.

"Why?" She finally asked soflty.

"I'm not gonna be home that much, we will never see each other, and you know as well as I do that long distance relationships do not work out. You should be able to date other people, and I think I should also." He answered.

She stared at him.

"I can't believe you. After two years, you decide that you want to date other people! You are an ass Howard! A complete jackass and I hate you!" She shouted feeling anger take over her heart break.

"Baby please." He reached for her hand.

"DON'T CALL ME BABY AND DO NOT TOUCH ME!" Screamed at him standing up.

He got up tears pricking his eyes.

She grabbed her hard back book of the nighstand and threw it at him. He ducked.

"I'm sorry." He chocked out before he left.

She screamed frustrated and collapsed on her bed sobbing.

Howie got into his car. He just never realized just breaking up is hard to do. It was the first time he had ever broken up with someone. And this made him feel like shit.

Aimee was spent crying. She lay with red rimmed eyes. She really hated him for what he did. He was her first love. She sighed and turned on the radio. Her oldies favorite song played. She stiffened. Check that, ex favorite song.

to do do
down dooby doo down down, comma comma
down dooby doo down down, comma comma
down dooby doo down down
breaking up is hard to do

Don't take your love away from me
Don't you leave my heart in misery
'If you go then I'll be blue
'Cause breaking up is hard to do

Re-mem-ber when you held me tight
And you kissed me all through the night
Think of all that we've been through
And breaking up is hard to do

They say that breaking up is hard to do
Now I know I know that it's true
Don't say that this is the end
Instead of breaking up I wish that we were making up again

I beg of you
Don't say goodbye
Can't we give our love another try?
Come on baby, let's start anew
'Cause breaking up is hard to do

They say that breaking up is hard to do
Now I know I know that it's true
Don't say that this is the end
Instead of breaking up I wish that we were making up again

I beg of you
Don't say goodbye
Can't we give our love another try?
Come on baby, let's start anew
Since breaking up is hard to do

down dooby doo down down, comma comma
down dooby doo down down, comma comma
down dooby doo down down
(breaking up is hard to do)


She sat up determined. She was going to get over Howie no matter what.

Starting now.

*Neil Sedaka - Breaking Up is Hard to Do