- Text Size +

“Brian… Brian… Brian, baby, wake up,” I quietly urged my sleeping husband. He let out a soft snore before snuggling back into his pillow. “Brian, please wake up,” I begged, starting to shake him. I was stopped mid-shake, though, when I was hit with a tightening in my stomach, forcing me to grasp onto his arm with all my strength just to get through the pain.

 

At the intense pressure on his arm, Brian finally woke up and looked over to see my eyes closed as the pain subsided. I opened my eyes and watched him stare sleepily at me before recognition hit. “OMG! It’s time!? The baby’s coming?!” he exclaimed, suddenly wide awake.

 

I could only nod, as I tried my hardest not to laugh. He had already jumped out of bed and was racing around the room like a mad-man. “Ok, got the suitcase. I need my pants. Where are my pants? Oh. There they are. Now keys. Where are my keys? Oh, they’re in my pocket. CELL PHONE…” I watched him talk to himself while he gathered all the supplies we would need. I started making my way down the stairs, counting down until he ended up falling down or hurting himself. When I heard him stumble into something and mutter, “Owwww. Owwww. Owwww,” I knew my prediction was right. “Who put this stupid chair here, anyway? And why do we have a bed in the bedroom?!”

 

He quickly joined me at the bottom of the stairs, already heading for the car. “Brian, honey, aren’t you forgetting something?” I asked. He gave me a blank stare, so I decided to go easy on him. “Honey, Baylee is still asleep in his bed.”

 

“OH!” he exclaimed, rushing back up the stairs to grab our son. I felt another contractions coming, so I grabbed onto the railing, trying to ease my body through it. It was now 3 AM, and I had been having contractions since a little after midnight. I didn’t want to wake Brian until I knew it was time because the last time I had suffered from Braxton-Hicks contractions, it had taken a whole week for me to convince him that the baby wasn’t coming and that he was not going to have to deliver it by himself. Every little noise I made during that week would send him into another fit, making me wonder if he was ever going to be normal again. Let’s just say that with his paranoia and my mood swings, no one wanted to be near us.

 

When we were finally all in the car and on our way to the hospital, I took the time to think about how far Brian and I had come. Shortly after we had won the case against Leighanne, Brian and I had finally gotten married. His mom was a big help in assisting me with all the wedding plans. I asked John to walk me down the aisle, and he agreed. I thought it was only fitting to have my ex-husband hand me off to my new husband.

 

After we were married, it hadn’t taken long for me to get pregnant with our second child. Brian was amazing. He was so interested in every single aspect of the pregnancy, wanting to be a part of every single step. What really helped, though, was the fact that Kristin was pregnant, too, so Brian and Kevin could compare notes and talk to each other about all the pregnancy stuff they couldn’t share with anyone else.

 

Life had been like a dream come true ever since our wedding. Brian was the perfect husband. I knew that deep down, he was trying to make up for the past, no matter how many times I told him not to think about it. Sure, we still had our fair share of arguments. After all, this is me and Brian we are talking about. We’re both two of the most stubborn and pig-headed people in the world, and our personalities clashed sometimes. But no matter what, we always found a way to get through it and be a stronger couple because of it.

 

I had no doubt that Brian and I would be together forever. After all we had already been through, there was nothing that could shake us bad enough to leave each other now. We both knew that this was it. And, to tell you the truth, we both couldn’t be happier about it. As we pulled into the hospital, I watched Brian grab our son before helping me out of the car. The look in his eyes reminded me of something that I had heard a long time ago that I finally understood: the only way love will survive is if the heart is true. Looking at Brian, it all made sense. Only when two people were completely committed to one another would their love survive the tests and trials of life. Brian and I had true love… life had shown us that. Together, we were unstoppable because true love never dies.