- Text Size +
Story Notes:
...based on the song "Set Adrift (On Memory's Bliss)" by the BSB...
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, I really shouldn't be starting so many stories, but this one came to me over the summer. I always wondered about the basis of this story, and, so, I decided to just start it...
The moonlight streamed through the sliver of space between the curtains.  It cut across the room, over the cherry wood furniture, the immaculate beige carpet, and lay on the bed.  It shone directly into her eyes, and, no matter how she turned and tried to shift away from it, it seemed to follow her.  Perhaps, she thought, it knew that she was thinking dark thoughts, dangerous ones.  Ones that she had no right thinking, and ones that she had even less of a right to keep hidden from one person.  The one person who had come to mean the world to her, and who would most definitely be hurt by her line of thought.

When the light became too much to bear, she sighed and turned over to see her husband’s back.  It was a strong back, she mused, able to carry so many burdens and do so much work.  It was sturdy, reliable, and beautiful, just like the man.  She hated to do this but knew that not telling the truth would be worse.

“Brian?”

He didn’t stir, so she tried again.  “Brian? Honey?”

He shifted a little and muttered garbled words in his sleep.  She had to smile because he was just too cute. He really didn’t deserve what she was going to tell him.  His exhaustion after the extensive world tour was palpable.  When he’d come home two days before at the end of the tour, he’d been unable to do much more than fall into bed.  She really shouldn’t bother him now, she told herself.  It wasn’t fair.

“Brian, I have something important to ask you.  Please.”

It wasn’t fair to keep it from him, she decided.  It had been gnawing away at her for nearly a year, and she wasn’t sure she could keep it a secret from the man who she’d always considered her best friend.

Finally, he shifted and turned to face her, his blue eyes just two slits.  “Baby, can’t it wait until morning?”

“It’s important, Brian,” she murmured.  “You know I wouldn’t wake you up if it wasn’t.”

His eyes opened a little more, and worry began to creep into them.  “Is something wrong? Do you feel sick?”

“No.” She brushed her fingers over her cheek.  He was so sweet, always concerned with her welfare, her wishes.  “It’s not that, it’s…something else.”

“Well, can you just tell me, so that I can get back to sleep?” He tried to bury his face in his pillow again.  “I am so tired.”

Her eyes suddenly filled with tears, and, as a result, her voice was shaky.  “Brian, I think something’s wrong.”

He looked over at her, his expression worried again.  “With what?”

“Us.”

Brian frowned now and shifted into a sitting position.  “What? What are you talking about?”

She swallowed hard, knowing that, once the words were said, there was no going back.  “Brian, I’d like for us to be separated.”