- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

ta-da! It's the wedding chapter! Now this is just the lead up and the ceremony so enjoy! The wedding night and reception are next up! Also here is the DRESS! It's perfect for Alyssa and all my beta's agreed lol!

Thanks everyone for reading! And it's FINALLY here...only took me four stories to get to this point! lol!

Chapter Thirty-Five: The Death of Singledom

Alyssa stirred in her sleep rolling over to see that Nick was no longer beside her, her hands coming in contact with a simple note on his pillow. She smiled and took the paper reading his note.

See you tonight. Love you.

~ Always,
Nick

She set the note aside and got up running to the bathroom to take her shower and get ready for the day of hanging out with the girls before the surprise nuptials that night. She got out of the shower wrapping herself in a large fluffy bathrobe hearing a knock at the door. She went to it letting Olivia in. "So are you ready to party for your last 24 hours a single gal?" Olivia asked with a bright smile, Angela following close behind her, her hands on her protruding belly.

For a moment Alyssa almost lost her wits just thinking about it finally being here that she nearly felt herself ready to blab the entire plan to them. She held back though, knowing that their surprise was all part of the plan as well. "Yeah I think I'm going to be all right. Rehearsal yesterday was so odd, I'm totally ready for the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Where's Nick?" Angela asked noting his absence from the room.

"Went out, probably golfing with his boys for the day. Chris and Aaron told me that's what they had wanted to do.  One of his big send off's that they wanted to do for him. Drinking and golf. You know guy stuff." Alyssa replied smirking at her sister.

Angela sat holding her stomach and grinned. "It's crazy that it's all happening. The last Monroe to get married."

"Hey! Uncle Mark's kids aren't married yet so I'm hardly the final Monroe to get hitched." Alyssa shot back reminding Angela of her cousins.

"I know but you're the only adult Monroe at the moment who hasn't gotten married. The girls just got in by the way. Ginny, Kate, Kaylee and Maggie." Angela added.

Alyssa smiled brightly and sighed. "Seems like everyone's here then." She remarked her smile fading only slightly wishing her father could be there to share it with her. "You two know your mission though right? Mom does too."

"Yes keep Jane and Bob far, far away from each other and keep them both away from any booze."

"Yes, exactly even though we're actually doing a non-alcoholic wedding. I don't want to have people getting so sloshed and saying things they'll be embarrassed about later. And with Alex, and you being pregnant Angie I didn't want to have alcohol for everyone else and leave you two and the kids out. I didn't think it would be fair so Nick and I opted for Martinelli's sparkling ciders."

"That's a really nice idea Al." Olivia remarked. "You two really thought of everything didn't you?"

Alyssa shrugged and sat down, "Yeah I mean, we love our friends, and our families no matter how weird they are." She said with a sly smile. "So we wanted everyone to really just enjoy themselves and have fun to let it really be a party to remember."

"Well let's get you dressed, manicured, pedicured and get a massage for you so you can also enjoy the next couple of days just as much as the rest of us!" Olivia replied making the girls grin.

Meanwhile...

"You so hooked it!" Nick shouted through his laughter at Chris.

Chris shook his head and acted like he was going to throw his club clear across the fairway. This only served to make the rest of them laugh even harder. "I don't know why you fucking decided on golf man. Couldn't we have just gone bowling or something I'm at least partially okay at?"

Nick shrugged, "We're in Hawaii man, suck it up and enjoy the weather it's fucking awesome today."

Aaron smirked and looked over at his brother then to his brother's friends, all of his normal party friends there. "Dude nothing is going to kill your mood is it?"

Nick smiled and looked at his younger brother, "Just wait until you're about to get married, nothing will be able to phase you. I'm happy okay, I have my friends to hang with, our parents seem to be okay in the same hemisphere as each other, all is pretty fucking good right now."

Rob snorted and laughed at him, "Still I'd never though I'd see the day when you, the notorious bachelor would be okay with going through this whole wedding business." He remarked taking a long sip of his beer.

Nick sat back after taking a drink as well and sighed. "Guys it's Ali...ya'll knew this was coming eventually."

"Still you've been engaged over a year right? I mean I thought you were delaying setting a date because you were getting cold feet." Chris reasoned back.

Brent sighed, "Yeah but with the type of shit they went through last year it's understandable that they waited." He reasoned back.

"Exactly." Nick smiled at him. "I mean come on it's not like this was never going to happen or I kept putting it off. It's just some shit happened and we had to deal with it and move past all of that first before we could just enjoy ourselves and get to this point." He explained as they all drove off towards the green. Nick looked over at Clark and smiled. "I'm glad you came with us..." He said patting his shoulder.

Clark looked at him and smiled back. "Had to, even if it was just to make sure that you didn't get too shitfaced for the wedding tomorrow. Ali would castrate me with a wooden spoon if I let you show up to the ceremony horridly hungover."

Nick chuckled, "One beer man and you're all over my case." He scoffed with a joking grin that was contrary to his tone. He definitely did not plan on doing much drinking at all. Especially since he didn't want to be sloshed for the surprise ceremony that night. It gave him some sort of sick satisfaction that none of his friends nor any of his family or Alyssa's family knew of what was going down that night.

Clark smirked and smacked his shoulder. "I know, just still I know Ali would kill us both."

Nick shrugged. "No worries man." He said finishing off his beer and setting it back in the cup holder.

"So what does Ali have planned today?" Aaron asked changing the subject.

Nick's shoulders shrugged and he shook his head, "I'm assuming girl's day with all the spa stuff going on but other than that I have no fucking clue. All I know is, is that the girls are all hanging with her so I'm sure she's going to be on estrogen overload. I probably will expect a phone call from her in about an hour or so with her complaining and asking me to send someone to tone down the girliness.

"Not much into the frilly stuff eh?" Rob asked.

"She's a tomboy always has been, you should hear the friggin stories that Mary has told me about trying to get her to wear a dress as a kid."

"But she's okay with wearing em now."

"Yeah but that's only because I like it. If I preferred her in jeans and a tee-shirt she'd wear it more often than she dresses up. That and I think she's learned to appreciate that she looks pretty awesome all dolled up so..." Nick explained using his hands to highlight his point as he spoke animatedly.

"So that's why she's wearing a dress at the ceremony?"

"Well that's one tradition I'm glad she kept, I'm excited to see what it looks like, like the castaways and such were nice so I can only imagine what she chose." He said thinking about how in just a few short hours he was going to see her walking down the aisle all dressed in white.

Late that night...

Alyssa looked down at her hands seeing them bare, no jewelry on them whatsoever and watched as they shook slightly from her nervousness. She looked over her shoulder seeing her dress on the headless mannequin across the room and sighed. She felt like a yo-yo her emotions going up and down every moment, from excitement to terror. What if she forgot what she had to say? What if she forgot everything and just stood there dumbfounded? It was times like these she really wished that her father was here. If for nothing else than to just look at her with his bright green eyes, full of pride and love and hug her, assure her that everything was going to be fine.

Just then Mindy, the wedding planner came walking in with her clipboard. "Miss Monroe?" She asked with a grin.

Alyssa whirled around and looked at her expectantly. "Yes?"

"Everyone should be arriving soon. Nick said that he wanted you to have this letter? He said you had one for him as well. He wanted to exchange them early on so that he could mingle with everyone and soften the blow of the surprise until the ceremony." She explained in a calm soothing tone that immediately soothed the mess of butterflies in her stomach.

Alyssa got up and handed Mindy the envelope. "It's our vows, we're doing traditional vows at the ceremony and all but we wanted special ones that we only know about." She explained as Mindy took the envelop from her. "Make sure that gets to Nick and Nick alone okay?"

"No problem. Everything's in place all we're waiting for is for all the guests to realize the surprise." She said as she left the small cabana where Alyssa was getting ready for the ceremony that was to take place just about 20 feet away from her in the large tent that was full of chairs and Christmas lighting hanging from the tops inside and white and dark purple colored roses and calla lilies accenting everything from the bouquets, the garland, chairs and the arch near the altar that held the ocean as it's backdrop the moon reflecting out over the black water like a mirror. She sat back down and opened the letter smiling at his messy handwriting and how hard it seemed that he tried to clean it up for her.

Alyssa-

So, when I sat down to write this I couldn't think of what I should tell you that you don't already know about me. But then I realized (mind you this was several hours later) that I didn't need to share anything you didn't know about me as a person but really how I see you, and our life together. And that had me even more stumped on what to tell you. So I got out your dad's guitar and just started playing. You know how that clears my head some times. And well this is what came out...I hope you like it.

Honey you are a rock
Upon which I stand
And I come here to talk
I hope you understand

That green eyes, yeah the spotlight, shines upon you
And how could, anybody, deny you

I came here with a load
And it feels so much lighter, now I've met you
And honey you should know, that I could never go on without you

Green eyes

Honey you are the sea
Upon which I float
And I came here to talk
I think you should know

That green eyes, you're the one that I wanted to find
And anyone who, tried to deny you must be out of their mind

Cause I came here with a load
And it feels so much lighter, since I met you
Honey you should know, that I could never go on without you

Green eyes
Green eyes

Ohohohohooooo
Ohohohohooooo

Ohohohohooooo
Ohohohohooooo

Honey you are a rock
Upon which I stand

That's how I see you. How I've always seen you. You've been my friend for longer than I can really think of. I know we didn't plan on being friends at all when we met all those years ago. I know I certainly didn't think too much of one of my sister's friends. But I think it's because of how we communicated back then, the letters that turned to phone calls that turned to emails and more phone calls. It showed me a lot that you weren't just some dumb kid but a good person who didn't really give a crap what I did for a living but cared about me as a friend.

You've been the only one to break me down, to see who I really am inside and I thank you for that. You've made me see that I can be okay in my own skin, to accept myself for the person I am.

We've been through so much in our lives together and apart. Now we're getting married. How insane is that? I mean seriously I don't think either of us ever would have seen this coming years ago. But as insane as it is, I'm not nervous about it at all. Ever since I asked you to marry me I've had this overwhelming calm about it whenever I'd think of us doing this.

Maybe it's because I'm finally ready to be that guy, the happily married guy. Whatever it is I completely think it's your doing. I know I told you that I already consider you to be my wife and I do...completely and fully. Our life has been so much more settled now than it ever has been and I owe you a great deal of thanks, for not giving up. I know it came close so many times to both of us just wanting the whole deal to end but I'm glad we've stuck things out and fought for it.

I know this didn't seem like much of a set of vows or anything. But these are my thoughts and I had to get them out before we get married. I do promise you that I'll always be there for you, in any capacity that I'm capable of, to be your partner, your friend and to do the best I can to shield you from any negativity. I love you and I'll never get tired of saying that because you're the one Liss, you always have been.

So don't be nervous tonight, I know you're sitting there your stomach probably full of butterflies thinking you're going to completely forget what to do or say. Don't be nervous, it's just one night. I'll be out there waiting for you. Love you always.

Nick


Alyssa smiled as she folded the letter, her earlier nervousness had completely faded from her consciousness. She heard a loud roar of surprise coming from the tent not far from her. She smiled knowing that the surprise must be getting underway. She looked at the small numbers on her phone displaying the time. In just 45 minutes...she was going to trade in being a Miss for a Mrs.

About ten minutes earlier Nick stood at the top of the patio looking down onto the scene in front of him. The tent, and cabana out on the white sandy beach, the only lights coming from the hotel behind him and the moon above him. He smiled at Mindy as she walked up handing him his envelop just as she had done with Alyssa before. He grinned, thanking her and opened it seeing her neat cursive script, a stark contrast to the chicken scratch he called his own hand writing.

Nick ~

Who would have thought we've made it this far? I know I definitely didn't see this when I turned 21 or hell even before you proposed that we'd ever get to this point! I know I definitely thought about it...more times than I'll ever be able to count.

It's times like these that makes me think of my dad. I wish I could have seen the look on your face when my dad took you ring shopping. I'm sure it was priceless. That was always his way of setting things right, to plan for when he would be gone. I wish now more than ever he could see us. See how happy we are and that we're going to be a family some day.

You were really the only guy he really ever approved of. I think it's because of our friendship. He saw that I cared more about the person than the celebrity persona. And that's true, I've never cared for that side of you the way I care about the real you. It just took me longer than most would have to really see its depths and appreciate it.

I love you, you know that I do. Sometimes I feel the need to say it because of all the times I should have said it, wanted to say it but was too afraid to. That's the first thing I vow to you. That I'll never be afraid to tell you how I feel ever again. You've proved to me more than once that I can love and trust you more than any person I've ever known.

That makes you even more dear to me than you think. You've been there, through practically everything in my life, you watched me become an adult but I don't think you realize what I got to witness in the process. I've watched you transform from the dorky boy who was nice to me at his sister's birthday party, to the party animal that you were in your early twenties to this kind and generous and incredibly humble man that it shocks the hell out of me to think of how much you've grown as a person over the years.

I hope that in some ways that I was a part of that transformation. If the present is of any indication then the next decades of our life together are going to show us growing in ways we never thought of before. As a married couple, and hopefully sooner than we think, as parents too. You're really the only man on the planet I could ever see myself having children with. It's because I know that you will be a damn good father, one that cares more about the title of parent than the accolades and trappings of your career.

I also vow never to let either of our egos ever get in the way of our marriage, or our eventual parenting. I know both of us can be pretty damn stubborn when we're set on a particular idea but hopefully time will wear us both down to where compromise is more often used than argument.

It surprises me sometimes, just how we evolved to this point. But nothing can kill my happiness about it. You've single-handedly been the best influence in my life for over ten years now. And I realize more than ever it's because you belong here, next to me to see us both through all the trials and tribulations that life can throw at us. You're my rock and I love you exponentially for it.

All my love,
Ali


Nick took a breath and folded up the paper placing it in his back pocket as he walked down to the beach. He stood inside the tent off to the side seeing everyone make their way in the looks of confusion were priceless to him, seeing all the chairs lined up and the archway at the end of the long strip of sand covered with petals at the center of the scene.

Mary looked at the large stack of envelops and opened one seeing a message written in a deep purple on the pristine ivory card, much like the invitation she'd received months before. She read it then looked over at Nick and gave him a sideways glance. "You planned this?" She asked with a grin.

He nodded, "Your daughter's idea." He replied giving her a hug.

"Well this is a pleasant surprise." She replied back. The two of them grinning at each other. "I'm glad I dressed for the occasion." She added noting the her dress and her flip flops. "Good thing you told all of us that this party was on the beach or we'd all be wearing dress shoes in the sand!" She smirked back. "When's the reception?"

"Tomorrow most of the day from like ten until we all crash I guess." He shrugged and chuckled while he stood with her mingling with the guests as everyone arrived. He loved watching the shock, and then the pleasant laughter rolling through everyone once they realized how easily they'd been fooled into thinking it was just another party. Nick hugged Olivia as she came up tearing up slightly and he directed her as well as Kellie, Lori, and Leslie to the cabana where they would change their clothes for the ceremony.

A few minutes later he found himself doing the same for Aaron, Chris, Brent and Mike as they went to the separate cabana to finish getting ready for the ceremony. Mary had smiled and assured him that she'd make sure along with Mindy that everyone would be seated and ready to go whenever they were and inform everyone when the reception was to be held. He nodded and headed out seeing Kellie and Lori just ducking into Alyssa's cabana. He smiled and made his way over to his own with his friends in tow.

In Alyssa's small cabana the five ladies all stood hugging each other and marveling at the clever ruse. "Seriously Ali, that was perfection, how on earth did you keep it from us for all these months and hell even today every time we mentioned that you were getting married tomorrow!"

Alyssa shrugged and hugged them all. "This is how Nick and I wanted it. Now let's get ready! Is Clark coming?"

Lori nodded, "He wanted to give us time to change." She said as the girls all began to disrobe and put on their dresses. Each of them got to choose their own style of ankle length plum fabric. Olivia chose a simple one shouldered empire waist her hair clipped to one side to show off the dress. Kellie's was a halter that had thin straps that hooked together at her neck then criss-crossed down her back. Lori's was a simple strapless dress that hugged her lithe frame. And lastly Leslie wore a classy off the shoulder dress with an empire waist that if it wasn't for it's deep plum color would have looked like it was straight out of a Jane Austen novel. Once all the girls were dressed they busied themselves helping Alyssa make the final adjustments to her own look. The same flowy dress she'd picked out weeks before hand, her hair in large loose flowing curls that framed her shoulders gracefully. Simple earrings and no necklace on her neck finished out her simple yet completely classy look of a bride-to-be.

Clark joined them moments later his smile widening as he saw his baby sister all dressed up in her pleated white gown, her plum painted toenails peeking just barely out of the bottom whenever she moved. "So everyone is going barefoot I see." He said with a grin and took off his shoes dropping the sandals by a chair.

All the girls moved out of the cabana lining up where they were supposed to go, Leslie with Mike, Lori with Brent, Kellie with Chris and Olivia with Aaron. At that moment Clark took Alyssa's hand and led her to the back of that line and looked at her. "What? Do I have something in my teeth?" She asked wondering why he was staring at her so intently.

"You look amazing sis..." He said simply giving her a look.

She smiled and hugged him. "Thank you so much. For this...I love you." She said hugging her brother tightly.

He sighed his voice cracking as he felt himself choke up at the mere thought of his baby sister finally walking down the aisle. "Dad would be so proud of you."

Alyssa broke the kiss and sighed, holding back her tears for the moment. "You really think so?"

Clark looked at his watch grinning, it was exactly twelve midnight. He smiled back at her. "Of course, we all are. Now let's get you married." He said as they turned and watched as all of the girls had made it down the aisle with grace.

At the end of the aisle Nick stood there smiling at everyone, Aaron talked to him making him laugh the momentary levity distracting him from the change in music. A soft guitar music began to play as Alyssa and Clark appeared just 20 feet away. Nick's breath caught in his throat as he looked over her, the simple-ness to her dress seemed to make the rest of her glow in the low lights of the room. He smiled brightly as their eyes connected and she mouthed the word ‘hi' to him. He watched in silent awe as they moved toward him only being able to tear their eyes from each others for Alyssa to look at her family and for Nick to give a quick glance at Clark who's face was already stained with tears.

Once they reached him Nick stepped forward and hugged Clark. "Thanks man..." He whispered to him.

"No problem brother." Clark said back as they broke apart. Nick nodded and took Alyssa's hand lacing their fingers.

They turned to the minister and glanced at each other smiling for a brief moment before turning back again waiting for the ceremony to begin. "Welcome everyone, friends and family, tonight we've all been gathered by happy surprise to witness the union of Nick and Alyssa." Everyone listened as the minister continued his speech about love and the bonds of marriage that were going to take place that night. "Who gives this woman to this man?" He asked as Clark stood behind them.

"Her family does." He said making Alyssa turn her head to smile at him as he made his way back over to sit with Mary who was smiling contently at the scene before her.

The minister smiled and continued saying the obligatory line of ‘speak now or forever hold your peace'. When there was more silence he continued again with his pleasant resolute tone. "Nickolas Gene Carter, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to be your friend and partner through sickness and health, for richer or for poorer, for all the days of your life?"

Nick smiled and glanced at Alyssa, "I do." He spoke firmly.

"And do you Alyssa Mackenzie Monroe take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to be your friend and partner through sickness and health, for richer or poorer, for all the days of your life?"

Alyssa took a breath and smiled, "I do." She said happily a smile breaking out on her face.

"Do you have the rings?" He asked as he smiled at them. At that moment Olivia and Aaron both moved up placing the rings on the bible that the minister held out for them. "Nick repeat after me, with this ring I thee wed."

Nick took the one meant for Alyssa and smiled at her as they turned to each other reciting the vows that millions of couples had recited for thousands of years. He smiled at her as he spoke the words making her grin even more brightly than before, "With this ring, I thee wed." As he said the words he slipped the band onto her finger seeing the diamonds glint in the light.

Alyssa did the same taking the ring meant for him, following the minister's repeated instructions. "With this ring, I thee wed." She said slipping the less ornate band onto Nick's ring finger. Both of them stood, their eyes locked hearing everything go on around them but their consciousnesses were solely focused on each other, and the promises they'd just made legally binding them together, forever.

"With the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife...You may now kiss the bride." The minister finished as Nick dropped Alyssa's hands and went to cup her face as their lips met in a sweet soulful kiss, her hands flying to his triceps as they broke apart smiling brightly at each other and pressing their foreheads to each other's. "I am very pleased to introduce to you, Nick and Alyssa Carter." The minister announced making everyone clap and cheer at the announcement.

Alyssa and Nick looked around the room at all their friends, and loved ones' smiling faces as they began to walk down the aisle hand in hand in their first few moments as husband and wife.

 

 

 

(**) Green Eyes - Coldplay

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!