- Text Size +

After a few days of avoiding each other, Ali was slowly starting to come around again. She wouldn’t say much, but at least she wasn’t in her room all of the time. Things were still a little tense between the two of them, but the fact that they were acting friendlier with each other made them both feel like they were back on track again. Even though they were relieved that things were going better, deep down, they had both know from the beginning that a little disagreement would never come between their friendship. 

 

Later that week, Ali and Nick were sitting in the living room trying to find an interesting TV-show to watch, when the doorbell rang.

“You expecting someone?” Nick asked, glancing towards the door.

Ali shrugged and shook her head as she continued to stare at the big plasma screen that was now showing an old “Friends” episode. She was feeling restless and as much as she wanted to hang out with Nick, she also felt like it was time to start doing other things than sit in front of the TV all day and rest. She knew that’s what the doctor had told her to do, but in her opinion, it just made things worse. She needed fresh air, a change of scenery, just for a little while.

 

The doorbell rang again.

“I guess I’ll get it.” Nick stood up and walked across the room.   

Ali nodded and turned her attention back to the TV. A few moments later, Nick came back into the living room.

“For you.” He said and sat down next to Ali.

“Me?”

 

She stood up and walked across the living room, making her way over to the front door, a smile spreading across her face when she saw who was there.

Nick’s three sisters; BJ, Leslie and Angel.

“Hiiiii!” The three girls said all at once, rushing over to Ali, each giving her a hug.

“Girls, what are you doing here?” She looked at them, frowning a little.

 

Three Carters with that same “we-know-something-you-don’t” grin, was never a good combination. Hell, any Carter with that expression would make anyone doubtful.  

 

“We’re taking you out shopping!” BJ said excitedly.

“And a haircut!”

“A makeover…”

“…manicure…”

“…and pedicure!”

The three girls spoke like it was their long lost life mission.

“Did you girls rehearse that?” Ali laughed.

“Maybe a little.” Leslie giggled. “Come on, let’s go!” She grabbed Ali’s hand and proceeded to walk towards the front door. The others following close behind.

“No, wait, wait, wait!” Ali stopped walking.

“What?” BJ asked.

“I just need to make sure Nick is ok with me going out.”

Angel shook her head. “He’ll be fine.”

“You don’t need his permission to do everything.” BJ said.

“I know, I know. It’s just… I owe it to him. He’s taking such good care of me. Give me two minutes.”

“Ok,” BJ said. “But hurry up, we’ve got appointments to make.”

Ali laughed. “You girls are crazy. I’ll be right back.” She shook her head as she walked away from them towards the living room to tell Nick about her plans for the day.

 

***

 

“I can’t believe that he told us to make sure you eat properly.” BJ laughed, taking a bite of the large banana split ice cream she was sharing with Leslie.

“And that you sit down every 15 minutes to rest. Who is he, your mom?” Angel continued.

 

The girls had just finished doing their shopping, and were now taking a break at an ice cream shop that, according to BJ, had ice cream that ‘gave you better orgasms than sex.’

Ali was still laughing inside after that statement.

The Carter sisters were now taking the opportunity to bash their, oh – so – overprotective brother, and were laughing at his reaction when Ali had asked him to come with the girls.

He had said bluntly ‘NO!’, straight away, and they all had to do their best puppy dog faces (and a little sucking up) to get him to agree.

“Girls, come on.” Ali said, trying to keep the laugher to herself. “Give him a break. He’s just trying to protect me. It might be a little too much at times, but he means well.”

“If I didn’t know you guys were such good friends, I would’ve thought he had a crush on you.” Leslie said, making the other girls laugh.

“Ali, are you blushing?” Angel giggled.

The three girls all looked at Ali, making her blush even more. She shook her head and hid her face in her hands although she already knew it was too late.

“Why are you blushing?” Leslie asked, poking Ali on her shoulder. “What’s wrong with Nick having a crush on you? Not that he does, but I think ---“

“OH MY GOOOOD! You have a crush on Nick!” BJ said suddenly, making Ali sink into her chair, praying a hole would open up beneath her and make her disappear.

The three girls suddenly went quiet for a few seconds. Ali braced herself, then, hell broke loose.

 

“Oh. My. God. You have a crush on Nick?”

“For how long?”

“How come we didn’t know?”

“You HAVE to tell him!”

“You would make the cutes couple EVER.”

“That is just SOOO meant to be!”

“Oh, can I be your bride’s maid?”

“You’re gonna have such cute kids.”

“Oh, I’m gonna be an aunt!”

“I can’t wait unt---“

 

“Wait, wait!” Ali sat up straight, shaking her head in confusion. “Stop! Girls, come on! Who said anything about kids? Or marriage, or even couple.”

The girls went quiet again.

“Ok… we might have gotten a little carried away there for a sec.” Angel apologized.

“A little, yea.” Ali nodded.

“But you do like him?” Leslie asked curiously.

Ali shrugged. “It’s no big deal, really. Everything is just really weird right now. I don’t know where I stand with anyone, what I feel, what I want… All I know is that I feel different towards him now, than what I did before… you know. But he can not know, ok?”

“Why not?” Angel asked, finishing her ice cream, as the girls got ready to leave.

“Because it will ruin our friendship. He’s my best friend, and I want things to stay like that. So, keep your mouths shut.”

“Awww… but you would be so cute together.”

“Yea, we would be, like, sisters in law.”

“BJ!” Ali said, giving her a look.

“Sorry…”

“Come on, let’s go. We have a hair and makeup appointment in 10 minutes.” Leslie said, dragging Ali by her arm towards the entrance.

“Gotta make you look cute for Nick.”

“BJ!!!”

“Sorry…”